It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Ancient Aliens'-haters! For the good of humanity; cut the show some slack!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Originally posted by DaveNorris

Originally posted by Hexen
Once again I have to say that the AA theory is basically modern industrialist science fiction rewriting of mythology and also racist imperialist thinking ("These [non -white] primitive people couldn't have built these things so they must have whte help or must be aliens!").

i dont think they mentioned color anywere in the show

The suggestion, however, is implied repeatedly in modern times and in the show by the phrase "Primitives couldn't have done this!" or words to that effect.

A hundred years ago, it was scholarly opinion.

Harte

primitive doesnt mean colored it means a lack of culture and educationd link

i guess some people see racism were there is none sometimes

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Once again I have to say that the AA theory is basically modern industrialist science fiction rewriting of mythology and also racist imperialist thinking ("These [non -white] primitive people couldn't have built these things so they must have whte help or must be aliens!").

The suggestion, however, is implied repeatedly in modern times and in the show by the phrase "Primitives couldn't have done this!" or words to that effect.

Harte

And some people see no racism where there is some.

Thanks for the definition of primitive.
Obviously, I know the meaning of the word.

I also know it's a code-word for "the wrong color."

Harte

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Harte

And some people see no racism where there is some.

Thanks for the definition of primitive.
Obviously, I know the meaning of the word.

I also know it's a code-word for "the wrong color."

Harte

code word
your one of those people are you, assuming everythings racist, chill out.
the major discrimination in this world isnt color or sex, its weva your rich or poor.

code word, you made me giggle lol

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

code word
your one of those people are you, assuming everythings racist, chill out.
the major discrimination in this world isnt color or sex, its weva your rich or poor.

code word, you made me giggle lol

Not my term:

Dog-whistle politics, also known as the use of code words, is a term for a type of political campaigning or speechmaking which employs coded language that appears to mean one thing to the general population but has a different or more specific meaning for a targeted subgroup of the audience.

Source is wiki.

You'll also note (I suppose) that this is not my argument either. Rather, it was brought up by another poster.

It is, however, quite legitimate, regardless of your personal opinion.

Giggle away.

Harte

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Couldn't agree more with your assessment, Ancient Aliens makes bold unfounded claims with no proof. I love how the show opens:

First a brief description of Sumer - okay no problem so far, Sumer certainly existed.
Then a description of Eridu, which did exist and was for all intents and purposes the religious center of Sumer.
Then, the phrase "The Sumerian texts at Eriudu describe an Ancient Alien race known as the Annunaki..."

WAIT, WHAT???

If you were to ever turn in a term paper or thesis with such a blatant and illogical jump to a conclusion like that you'd be rightly thrown out of school.

This is typical for the show, it mixes some history in with egregious leaps like the above without proving anything. Stating the term "Annunaki" was Sumerian for "Aliens" is pure fiction.

reply to post by Imtor

Well some need to understand the principle of debunking - anything can be debunked. I've saw Rendlesham Forest being debunked too but that doesn't make them correct. Basically listening to debunking forums or blogs is as wrong as listening to those who believe everything is ET. Debunkers are not any better they also claim crazy things when it is more comfortable, the follow the rule 'DEBUNK by any means necessary' Seriously do you think they are more correct or something? We aren't talking about obvious cases that are clearly hoax etc but about debunking even more correct cases? They too subjective and biased, they are not to be taken seriously..

I think you have it backwards. In order for a show like Ancient Aliens to be taken seriously, it first has to debunk proven, established history. Did Von Daniken "debunk" established history and known facts when writing Chariots of the Gods? Or did he simply make unfounded and unprovable claims, based more on conjecture than reality? Did Sitchen "debunk" history when he wrote The 12th Planet? Hardly, in fact many of Sitchen's claims fly in the face of reality, so he resorted to twisting and grossly misinterpreting history, and in some cases, outright fabrication.

There's no need to debunk "Ancient Aliens" when historical facts do that on their own, and pointing out those facts and the show's inability to grasp them does not make one a debunker.

If you're a fan of Ancient Aliens, all I can suggest is turn off the TV and go to a library and read a book on REAL HISTORY. For Sumerian history start with C. Leonard Woolley and Samuel Kramer. Educate yourself, then come back and watch this show, you'll see how contemptible and laughable it really is. "Ancient Alien" theory has turned into a cottage industry of hucksterism that prey on the ignorant.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Educate yourself, then come back and watch this show, you'll see how contemptible and laughable it really is.

Sadly, that's my issue with the show. All too often, many of their suppositions lie in direct contrast to established history/art history knowledge and symbolism.

Anthropomorphic sun and moon images in renaissance art are not depictions of ancient alien flying machines, for example.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

i know what a code word is, but come on. i could say that 'cheese toast' is a code word for 'launch the nukes' doesnt make it true. but would be interst6ing round the white house breakfast table

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Did Von Daniken "debunk" established history and known facts when writing Chariots of the Gods? Or did he simply make unfounded and unprovable claims, based more on conjecture than reality?

i think if you read the book, everything is says is written as a question, with a '?' at the end. and not as statements of facts. the whole ancient alien theory (although taken a bit too seriously by some) is more about saying that it is possible aliens were involved and not that they definately were. and in my opinion it is possible and cefrtainly holds more merit than any religion i can think of.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
and I do have to say... in the last episode I watched about weapons, the HAIR was divine... very neat and tidy in that episode.

It was almost as if the HAIR was magically hovering on the top of his head.

We need to check that guys head for aliens... I'm seriously starting to think the hair is actually an alien craft.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join