It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Ancient Aliens'-haters! For the good of humanity; cut the show some slack!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackSatinDancer
have you watched anything else on the history channel?

that's how the majority of the programs are... perhaps your beef is with the history channel for all there speculation based shows.

Speculation is fine, but presenting evidence that is blatantly false and then speculating on it is complete hogwash.

And not even of the highest degree.

Harte

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

that's how the majority of the programs are... perhaps your beef is with the history channel for all there speculation based shows.

Speculation is fine, but presenting evidence that is blatantly false and then speculating on it is complete hogwash.

Harte

but to say that is unusual on the history channel is like saying you never watched it. anybody who watches the history channel knows that a lot of their programs are simply based on thought provoking questions with no answers. at what point did anybody become surprised? this really makes me wonder how other people watch tv, because I see crap like that all the time... fluff and gobs of marketing... it's everywhere on TV. How can you NOT see it everywhere you look on TV?

I'm not going to bother asking for which specific fact was misconstrued so we can really analyze it if that's what people want to do, but this thread is full of nothing but opinion so this can go back to hair jokes while I go make a new thread.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
one thing it DID do, was get a lot of people thinking about things that ARE fact... like all the weird crap in the bible.

hell, i have no idea who put it there at this point in history or what it means for that matter... all i know is that when i open the thing, there it is...and it's weird. so when you mention something like that to provoke a thought... you cant change the fact that this stuff is indeed in there and a good portion of the world follows that book and most of them never even noticed.

I call that entertainment.
edit on 13-9-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Harte

but to say that is unusual on the history channel is like saying you never watched it. anybody who watches the history channel knows that a lot of their programs are simply based on thought provoking questions with no answers. at what point did anybody become surprised? this really makes me wonder how other people watch tv, because I see crap like that all the time... fluff and gobs of marketing... it's everywhere on TV. How can you NOT see it everywhere you look on TV?

I'm not going to bother asking for which specific fact was misconstrued so we can really analyze it if that's what people want to do, but this thread is full of nothing but opinion so this can go back to hair jokes while I go make a new thread.

I don't think it's unusual on the History channel.

I agree with you.

However, I don't appreciate actually being lied to concerning ancient history.

Harte

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Harte

I agree with you.

Harte

I certainly don't either.

can you give one example at this point... if the thread itself is to go somewhere (if anyone even cares to keep it going...??)... then maybe we should look at which facts are clearly wrong and analyze it.

I have watched it, but I was never concerned enough to start picking it apart on my own.
edit on 14-9-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I agree with you.

Harte

can you give one example at this point... if the thread itself is to go somewhere (if anyone even cares to keep it going...??)... then maybe we should look at which facts are clearly wrong and analyze it.

I have watched it, but I was never concerned enough to start picking it apart on my own.

I'll have to get back to you - haven't watched it for a while.

I did at one point list a few things that I know for certain were simply not true.

After a while, it became tedious so I stopped.

I will say that I like the cinematography in the show, but not even that is real, as much of the scenery and all of the animations are from other History Channel programs.

Usually, everything they state on the show is preceded by "Ancient Alien Theorists maintain that..." or "Is it true that..." "and if that is true, then is it true that..." this or that inanity.

That's their out so they can argue they aren't lying. Just like VonDaniken claiming everything he said in his books was questions, so he wasn't lying.

Except for, of course, when he published a picture of a supposed "ancient" piece of pottery that was later found to have been made for VonDaniken by a local potter,

Harte

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I agree with you.

Harte

I'll have to get back to you - haven't watched it for a while.

I did at one point list a few things that I know for certain were simply not true.

After a while, it became tedious so I stopped.

I will say that I like the cinematography in the show, but not even that is real, as much of the scenery and all of the animations are from other History Channel programs.

Usually, everything they state on the show is preceded by "Ancient Alien Theorists maintain that..." or "Is it true that..." "and if that is true, then is it true that..." this or that inanity.

That's their out so they can argue they aren't lying. Just like VonDaniken claiming everything he said in his books was questions, so he wasn't lying.

Except for, of course, when he published a picture of a supposed "ancient" piece of pottery that was later found to have been made for VonDaniken by a local potter,

Harte

You are seeing how they clearly beef it up. So do I, but i see it so many places perhaps i am used to taking from things that i think might have credit and trying to look carefully at what i feel does not. who says that all the people on this show even agree with each other? I understand what you mean in how they construct their spiels to gain deep interests and to not be directly disputed. it DOES get aggravating but it's very common. You might even catch yourself doing it from time to time to make a point you feel certain about be considered by your listener. when we talk, we don't try to NOT be compelling... unless we are using sarcasm or something like that to be compelling by reverse logic.

...but absolutely these things can be taken too far especially when you look a OUTRIGHT LIES.

I also understand the exhaustion one might even feel in trying to expose these things because where do you start? so yes, I will come back later and check out the thread if i see it get bumped again but remember that even a little start is something. I know time is a factor for everyone... so if you are willing to look into it with the old "scientific method" so to speak... so that you will not just be trying to back p your own opinion... i promise that I will not sneer at how little the first lie you find might seem... because I know there are probably many more, but you always have to start somewhere.

take your time because I believe that most things can be eventually dissected and hashed out.
edit on 14-9-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Sorry.. I can't get passed this guy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2493527ca8c4.jpg[/atsimg]

You know your a stunning success when even your own hair has a facebook page. Georgy is the man. Don't mess with him.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
So people are making books for money and their are wasting their time out of pure speculation? I dont buy that, even if they make mistakes they are up to something. And those here who think History is just entertainment, does the biograhpy of all t hese people say ;clown;/entertainer> Im sure they have read lots of things to lead them to conclusions to make opinions on ancient aliens. While what do u do here? Just debunk without knowhing anything of them, anyone can do that, that doesnt make you more correct

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
So people are making books for money and their are wasting their time out of pure speculation? I dont buy that, even if they make mistakes they are up to something. And those here who think History is just entertainment, does the biograhpy of all t hese people say ;clown;/entertainer> Im sure they have read lots of things to lead them to conclusions to make opinions on ancient aliens. While what do u do here? Just debunk without knowhing anything of them, anyone can do that, that doesnt make you more correct

In fact, it does.

Far more correct.

Although I'm certain that many of the people on the show know what they are implying is simply untrue.

I know for a fact that VonDaniken does this. As I said, he's been caught red-handed.

I'm reasonably sure that Giorgio knows his line is baloney. But it keeps the checks coming.

Harte

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I also understand the exhaustion one might even feel in trying to expose these things because where do you start? so yes, I will come back later and check out the thread if i see it get bumped again but remember that even a little start is something. I know time is a factor for everyone... so if you are willing to look into it with the old "scientific method" so to speak... so that you will not just be trying to back p your own opinion... i promise that I will not sneer at how little the first lie you find might seem... because I know there are probably many more, but you always have to start somewhere.

take your time because I believe that most things can be eventually dissected and hashed out.

Rather than watch the show, I ran a short search looking for claims from the show.

Haven't found anything yet, but I came across this article.

I should note that, though I've heard of Jason Colavita before and even used him as a source several times right here, I'd never been to this particular page.

The page shows the falsity of the claim that there was an atomic war in ancient India, a claim I seem to remember being on the show last year.

I also should note that I and several others have stated exactly what Colavita says on this page about the subject many times before right here at ATS.

Makes me wonder if he googled the claim and one of our threads came up.

Anyway, here's the page:
www.jasoncolavito.com...

I'll keep looking for the claims in a list. I'm not gonna sit here and watch youtube for an hour or two.

Harte

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I found a guy on the Skeptic forum that is doing just this - analyzing these claims and showing them untrue (and many of them flat-out lies.)

I don't think ATS wants me to link to another forum so I won't.

But here's the first blog the poster put up about it:
www.dumbassguide.info...

About halfway down, he documents a lie told by Giorgio.

I didn't read any further than that.

That poster has linked to four blog entries in the post I found searching google with the terms "Ancient Aliens History Channel claims"

Harte

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

This show is intended; primarily; to educate

Ok come on people there is no program on the history channel that is intended primarily to educate. The history channel is owned by a corporation and corporations don't do anything unless there is money involved somehow. Ancient Aliens is intended primarily to entertain and in doing so draw in as many viewers as possible. Thereby allowing the history channel to gain more ad revenue from commercials played during the show.

Let's go over it again. The more people that watch a show the higher the rating. The higher the rating the more the network can charge for advertizing spots during it's run.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Oh no. Quick, someone is using their imagination, and creating theories. This must be stopped!

Sell more gadgets, make more reality shows!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Giorgio is the man and the show is great. Sure they reach a lot but it's a very entertaining presentation.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Sell more gadgets, make more reality shows!

Like the people on AA aren't just using it as a vehicle to gain publicity for their latest book. Are reality shows any worse? Both seem to be based largely on BS. Both are extremely cheap to make. Reality TV has the added bonus of actually having something unscripted from time to time.

AA is a very limited TV concept to say the least. Save yourselves some time the conclusion of every episode will be that 'aliens did it'. Like scripted drama's AA has a narrative that it follows. Diverging from that would be like killing off a main character 3 episodes in. It would kill the show.

So in short keep giving money to the same corporations that make the reality TV shows you hate. Keep deluding yourself into thinking the ad revenue you give to the history channel just by watching isn't going towards selling crap just as stupid as the latest apple product.
edit on 14-9-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hexen
Once again I have to say that the AA theory is basically modern industrialist science fiction rewriting of mythology and also racist imperialist thinking ("These [non -white] primitive people couldn't have built these things so they must have whte help or must be aliens!").

i dont think they mentioned color anywere in the show

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

Originally posted by Hexen
Once again I have to say that the AA theory is basically modern industrialist science fiction rewriting of mythology and also racist imperialist thinking ("These [non -white] primitive people couldn't have built these things so they must have whte help or must be aliens!").

i dont think they mentioned color anywere in the show

The suggestion, however, is implied repeatedly in modern times and in the show by the phrase "Primitives couldn't have done this!" or words to that effect.

A hundred years ago, it was scholarly opinion.

Harte

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Well some need to understand the principle of debunking - anything can be debunked. I've saw Rendlesham Forest being debunked too but that doesn't make them correct. Basically listening to debunking forums or blogs is as wrong as listening to those who believe everything is ET. Debunkers are not any better they also claim crazy things when it is more comfortable, the follow the rule 'DEBUNK by any means necessary' Seriously do you think they are more correct or something? We aren't talking about obvious cases that are clearly hoax etc but about debunking even more correct cases? They too subjective and biased, they are not to be taken seriously..

reply to post by FEDec

And people are making theories just for the lolz and entertainment really? What about Sitchin? He's the one who starts it no? Idk about Daniken or Georgio but people like S. Friedman, some other serious researchersm are you thinking they just waste their time for entertainment lol... I said, do they have 'Clown' or 'Entertainer' in their biographies? Yes HC is made in a way to entertain, there is no argument there but that does not mean there is no thought in these theories but again shallow means shallow.

reply to Darwin and asteroid are not any more correct

It is just a theory dont forget that.. and the so far nailed in our heads Darwin's Evolution Theory, Dinsoaurs became extinct by a large object crashing with the Earth, have no heavier truth than being genetically engineered or a clash of civilizations or weapon to have cleared space on the planet for us to live.

IF the Bible speaks true things, that's what it is, we were genetically engineered and the extinction of dinosaurs could be caused by atomic bomb or something more destructive done by another civilization?

Let me ask you ever heard of flaws in Darwins theory? Even rational non-alien explanation counters it - epidogenetics, the fact that we may have mutated, errors in DNA as the Missing Link - there is no such, some model was made between ape and human to fit the missing link.

But we do not become perfect from MUTATION that's where I say, we could have partially but not all.

The Ancient Astro theory theory states IF the bible is correct and 'God created us by his image and ...' - the only way this can be explained rationally is if we have been engineered genetically.

For the extinction of Dinosaurs - why do you think it's 100% true? I've studied Astronomy and am aware of the way asteroids and objects can cause mass destruction to tjhe planet/ And such thing happens - fact, does this prove that exactly so happened back then? No, this is just a logical explanation and it could be true of course, actually I do not dismiss this as the more probable.

Either way, man has made theories to give explanation but fact is man was never there to see did it happen as he suggested?

And IF the Bible is correct, you know, that's it. And if it not, that doesn't exclude the possibilty of visitations once it becomes official. I dont know what is there so much that you want to debunk?

Everything can be debunked. everything, question it do you think you are more correct by debunking it? I dont think so.

edit on 15-9-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
reply to post by Harte

Well some need to understand the principle of debunking - anything can be debunked. I've saw Rendlesham Forest being debunked too but that doesn't make them correct. Basically listening to debunking forums or blogs is as wrong as listening to those who believe everything is ET. Debunkers are not any better they also claim crazy things when it is more comfortable, the follow the rule 'DEBUNK by any means necessary' Seriously do you think they are more correct or something? We aren't talking about obvious cases that are clearly hoax etc but about debunking even more correct cases? They too subjective and biased, they are not to be taken seriously.

Hmmm. Let's see.

The show made a claim based on a quote from the Mahabharata that does not appear in the Mahabharata.

Colavita (and many people here in the past) showed that the quote itself was not in the Mahabharata and in fact comes from a fringe author who actually made the thing up himself.

So, yeah. Not only do I think Colavita, myself, and many others here are "more correct," I maintian that this is a proven fact and certainly not an opinion.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join