It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Immortals be living among us?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Statistically speaking anybody living for a very long time makes the odds for accidental death increase. Even thirty year olds are twice as likely to be killed in vehicular accidents than the 20 something year olds.

I'm not seeing where you are getting that kind of statistic. Here's a table that lists causes of accidental death. It depends on the question you are asking and how you ask it, but the statistics seems to support the opposite conclusion. 30 year olds are half as likely to die in an auto accident than 20 year olds. Also drivers under the age of 24 are responsible for 30% of the damage caused by accidents, hence higher insurance for teenagers; higher insurance for males.

But this really doesn't answer the question: What are the chances in a certain period of time that a given individual will die an accidental death--not death by disease, but by more or less being in the wrong place at the wrong time? That's a much harder questuon to answer. Even if you can show that for 2009 there were 1.13 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, that does not translate to if you drive 100 million miles, you'd certainly die in an accident. I might drive a million miles in my lifetime, so sometimes these kinds of statistics wind up meaningless. And behavior has a lot to do with survival. If you were immortal, would you go skydiving?

I found this place which suggests your lifetime odds of accidental death are one in 24 to 37, yet several of these "accidents" are self-caused and they change every year. In 10 AD your chances of dying in an airplane crash were few. Now it's lifetime odds of one in 4,608. All these things involve behavior, and if you were intentionally changing your behavior expressly to increase your chances of living, you could alter those statistics significantly. Simply saying, "I don't think living within striking distance of this volcano is a very good idea." is potentially a life-saving event.

edit on 9/10/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Very good insight schuyler. Immortals wouldn't be idiots, they would know that skydiving would be potentially dangerous, they would no to avoid Volcano areas. But even in the movie they were saying how lucky he was to have survived all this time.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hmm maybe they have changed? My sister was in insurance when I was 16 so maybe the statistics have changed? IDK... but I would asume the longer you live the higher the probability for things to go wrong. Just more of a theory more or less. My reasoning with this is that with increased years somoeone would become more complacent and not as observant as someone else who has and knows they have a limit to their lifespan, if you can understand what I am saying. How far back do those statistics go because I recall my sister saying this what I stated in the other reply. Eh maybe it was an alternate timeline (HEHE just kidding!).

Oh I see no, what I was saying is that of the accidents that happen amongst the age groups. Ok how do I put this if there are say 400,000 teenagers in accidents a larger percentage of them will get injured as opposed to dying, but in the 30 somethings even if they have less accidents they possess a larger percentage of deaths instead of injuries of their accidents. Do you understand what I mean now?
edit on 10-9-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

Oh I see no, what I was saying is that of the accidents that happen amongst the age groups. Ok how do I put this if there are say 400,000 teenagers in accidents a larger percentage of them will get injured as opposed to dying, but in the 30 somethings even if they have less accidents they possess a larger percentage of deaths instead of injuries of their accidents. Do you understand what I mean now?

I do understand what you are saying, and I understood the first time. I am saying the statistics available do not prove your case; they prove the opposite and I cited the evidence that this is so in my links. If you think 30 year olds die twice as often in accidents compared to 20 year olds, you need to cite some convincing evidence. So far, you have not. I won't turn this into a bigger argument because it is kind of beside the point anyway. I'm really more interested in answering this question:

"If you were immune to disease, including aging, and essentially were theoretically capable of living forever, how long would you live on average before you were killed by accident?"

Because we have no proof this has ever happened, this absolutely must be a hypothetical question, but I don't accept the idea that people just assume someone would die of an accident. To put it another way, you now have a 2% chance to live to be 100. One in 50 people do, in fact, live to be 100, hence a 2% chance. OK. What are the chances for our otherwise ageless healthy person living to be 15,000?

I don't know the answer, but if we are just going to assume he will die in an accident, we may as well end our little game here.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by BlackSatinDancer

Going further with the Biblical recounts also in Gen. I think that God's punishment was not just banishment from the Garden, but isn't there some reference to them (Adam & Eve) having to experience Death? Didn't it infer that they were granted everlasting life until they bit from the fruit? No I think it was referenced that "what if they eat from the tree of life and be like gods immortal"? okay never mind I got it backwards lol. Well still I remember something about eternal life, maybe it was that the soul/spirit was granted life eternal up to the point where they bit the apple and then seperation from God happened and there would be only eternal life for those that found their way back to God? Maybe that is what is screwing me up idk?
However I beleive that if they did live so long in the days of Genesis, wouldn't it go without saying that maybe during evolution a mutation evolved in at least one person that granted them eternal physical life? Also other biblical stories elude to this, can't remember exactly which ones but oen metioned that one dude would walk the earth until judgement day he would not die, etc. Can't remember who the story is about. Maybe that story evolved from someone who had part in the construction of the bible who actually met a person of immortality? See every writer knows the main law of writing fiction, it is to write what you know, so if you're even writing what is supposed to be non-fiction, you still want tos tick with what you know.And if you were immortal would you not think it a curse? Or if you met an immortal, would you not think it to have been a curse hearing how the person described losing everyone they love and having to continue, not being able to die, no rest for the wicked, right?

the story you are referring to is the wandering jew. it's actually from a dual interpretation in the bible because christ was always saying stuff that could be interpreted numerous ways. at some point during the crucifixion when christ was being hassled and all, he supposedly said something to someone that some took as a curse... along the lines that this guy would witness his return.

so some take it that it was supposed to be literal... that this guy is going be to walking the earth til judgment day.
edit on 10-9-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
Firstly my all time favorite movie is called The Man From Earth. It's about a Caveman who has lived up until the modern era and he tells a group of professors his life's story.

I know this topic has been discussed here before but maybe my theory is a little bit different.

A couple of interesting "paranormal" or "science fiction" topics were highlighted in the movie.

A) These Immortals wouldn't be invincible, they wouldn't have super powers. They could still get sick. Still get wounded, still get killed. A quark in their immune system would allow their body processes to keep on living, forever.

B) Change identities every 10 years or so to prevent from being discovered.

C) They would only have knowledge as knowledge emerged. For instance, he explains that he didn't know what the ocean waves were until they were actually knowledge and printed/described in textbooks.

D) They would be outside of our time-stream as in Doctor Who.

E) They are not God, They are not all knowing. They still live lives and only have one perspective of events.

F) Would they start religions? Except in the story the man goes on to explain that when he traveled with Buddha and tried to teach it to others, they took the teachings and layered it with myths upon myths. Once they saw that he couldn't die, they chased him until they TIED him to the cross. Apparently Nails and blood were added to the story later for religious symbolism. In another lifetime he learns how to control his body movements to near-death like state and thus is resurrected! People freak out and Christianity is born! This to me seems like a better version than a virgin birth and a miracle worker from the Heavens right? Why not?

G) Who else would they be in history? Or travel with and learn from if they just had TIME to explore everything possible? Van Gogh, Columbus?

H) Would they be able to tell if there were others like them? How could they prove it?

How much knowledge would they have about the world?

It is often stated in Alien lore that our alien ancestors have longer life spans than we do. Primitive cultures worship immortal beings. What if these beings weren't aliens? What if they were human but immortal humans are just as alien to these primitive cultures!!!!

edit on 9-9-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

Immortals, no. Longer-living, yes.

Supposedly, there was/is a prophet called Khidr. Moses once traveled and learnt from him. Together, they found the fountain of youth. Khidr took it, but Moses did not. As such, Khidr is assumed to still be alive, today. There had been some claims of 'encounters' with him. As such, other 'figures'.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
yeah, the planet is far from immortal so how could a body on it be? even if that body could replicate cells indefinitely, there are other changes that take place in death other than the physical. i wonder how those types of things would happen in a person who lived much longer than others.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I just read those chat bot logs. Interesting, although there really wasn't a lot there. I had to scroll past a lot of the bot's crap.

It *could* be true. The fact that he wasn't talking to another human individual gives him credibility, in the sense that the motivation of fame or money can be effectively ruled out. Then again, it could well just be someone playing an imaginative game.

As far as the Biblical records of people living for hundreds of years are concerned, I believe that those are true, personally. Hinduism talks about the four world ages; Krita, Treta, Dwapara, and Kali Yuga. In Krita, people are supposed to be able to live for up to 400 years. In Treta, 300; in Dwapara, 200, and in Kali, 120 max. So Gene could be someone who has been able to live as long as a person from Dwapara or Treta, during Kali. (The current age)

I've seen a lot of very interesting things on the Internet; but the development of a certain amount of skepticism becomes necessary. John Titor's story was initially interesting, but was eventually debunked.

So I'm not sure.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

flawed concept! we are the immortals in our true nature, ie) the soul. mite make a funny movie though.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I finally found the web site I had been searching for. It is Secrets of an Immortal - An Eyewitness Account of 2,800 Years of History by Ben Abba. The site has been up awhile and apparently Abba is having some difficulty getting his project finished. In any case, it is an interesting approach and may be of interest to some of you here.

Yes, it may be true that we have 'immortal souls' as our true nature, but I think it is fair to say that approach has been thoroughly covered by various religions and is not the question on the table here. If you quibble with the word "immortality" try substituting "people who live a really long time" into the equation. In any case the idea of having an "immortal soul" and "people who live a really long time:" are not incompatible. Both could be logically true. I suppose if both are true then the latter could be considered a curse rather than a blessing, but also, if both are true, it doesn't really matter, does it?

The Wandering Jew was mentioned above. A novelization of this is My first two thousand years; the autobiography of a wandering Jew by George Viereck which was originally published in 1928 and is still available. I read it years ago.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

I found this, as well. Interesting stuff.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here's an interesting site. This group is apparently "hunting" immortals. They relate their experiences via blog posts. It's quite lengthy. I just used up some hours on this. It's hard to tell how serious they are, or whetehr it's someone's idea of art.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Mind-blowing it was (Man from Earth). I have probably seen it at least 10 times. The dialogues are so engrossing that I still watch it line to line. The topic discussed was also wonderful. If it could be real, not sure...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by himalayanhermit

Mind-blowing it was (Man from Earth). I have probably seen it at least 10 times. The dialogues are so engrossing that I still watch it line to line. The topic discussed was also wonderful. If it could be real, not sure...

I too have seen it probably about 20 times at least. It's such a great movie none other compares. I always find new things to either think about or catch in the plot!

One word for the film is, EPIC!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
interesting topic.
A few years ago I came across this story on the web.

www.agelessgene.com...

It's chatlogs from a guy who talks to a chatbot program.

Gene's whole conversation is one of the most fascinating things I've read & I cannot shake the feeling that it's all completely genuine. However in the interests of playing devil's advocate I have spent a few days contemplating reasons, which are completely hypothetical, for it to be a little more dubious in its origin:

1. Deliberate hoax
This is the least likely reason, fooling a chat bot is as easy as breathing and it's certainly not much of an achievement. As for the creator of the site itself (s)he answers the accusation in the FAQ so I don't need to add anything here.

2. Gene has a mental problem of some kind
Given the complexity of the human mind this could be a possibility but the coherence and consistency of Gene's conversation strongly suggests otherwise. I know being delusional doesn't mean having the conversational skills of a dead slug yet it just doesn't feel right.

3. Gene was in the process of writing something/playing a role which involved an immortal character and used the bot as a means of evaluating everything that entailed
This is the only other explanation I could think of and it does seem the most viable of the three but I can think of a couple of things which count against it. Firstly if it was just a form of research then Gene wouldn't have been at all concerned about any log files which were created. Secondly his desperate need to talk to someone, ideally a virtual person, was blatantly obvious from the start. Of course that could just mean he's a very good actor...

I'll admit that it's been some time since I attempted something like this so I may not have done a great job. Any suggestions, corrections or constructive criticism would be much appreciated

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Microwaved

You've got some very good points there. I have a couple of comments on this particular site, and a couple on the idea as a whole, with this site being one example:

1. The possibility that this site, The Ageless Gene, is a hoax has to be taken seriously. Whoever put this site up has gone to a lot of effort not only on the site itself, which is well done, but in taking steps to make sure he remains anonymous. In his FAQ, to which you alluded, I don't think his answers to, "Is this fake?" are very good. He goes on at great length about how Gene's language structure is stilted and reflects age and that he must learn a new language every ten years or so.

Both these assertions are unlikely. Gene's language would have changed with the times, just as ours does. I wouldn't have said, "Google this!" ten years ago; I do now with some frequency. You can't tell an accent via typing. so that whole strain makes no sense. Gene would NOT have been forced to learn a new language every ten years. It would put him at a distinct disadvantage to do so. Not that he NEVER would have, but there is no good reason why he would have to do it every decade. He has more than a continent to move around in for English.

This is a fault I see on "Man from Earth" as well. All John Oldman would have had to do is dye his temples a bit grey and he'd have had another ten years and been able to "retire" normally from his position. His sudden resignation mid-year rings a lot more alarm bells than if he had quietly waited to the end of the school year. Plot devices sometimes require this and I'm cool with it, but this does not reflect logical thinking.

So the FAQ does not sit well with me. It's as if the author anticipated the objections and simply worked around them, then pointed out how clever he was in his FAQ. I also question why the author put up the site in the first place. It costs money to maintain. What's the motivation here? I do not understand that.

2. I also think we have to put this site, The Ageless Gene (Just too cute of a title, isn't it?), into context with the other sites that are similar (in some respects). We have Ben Abba, another anonymous character. who says his superior research skills and Remote Viewing have led him to about 25 long-lived individuals, among them a 2800 year old man with black teeth who spoke personally with the likes of Jesus and Julius Caesar, among many other luminaries from the past. Mr. Abba's problem is that he just can't seem to get his book done.

Then we have the True Immortals involved with the Immortality Plague. This story is told "via blog" by many individuals who themlselves are "hunting" immoortals. The quest is lengthy, complex (in terms of links) and ultimately sounds like a literary project of some kind. Maybe it is real, or maybe they are living a fantasy; it's hard to tell intent here.

Then we have methuselah1937, a character on ATS, who obviously WANTS us to believe there are immortals in the world. His modus operandi is to post a few tidbits once in awhile, then proclaim he has "said too much" before fading back into the aether. This is an interesting case in its details all by itself.

The Ben Abba story is here and also here.
The True Immortals story is here with lots of links.
Ageless Gene is here for completeness sake.
And methiselah1937 is an ATS thread here with its own links.

Both Ben Abba and methuselah1937 have accounts on ATS where you can see what they have posted. "methuselah," now that's subtle, isn't it?

So the possibilities are one or more here:

1. These people are living a complete fantasy for their own internal reasons; it feels good. They are proclaiming their own immortality. You see this sometimes on forums where someone will say, "Hi, I'm Suzie, and I'm an immortal." Reminds me of AA.

2. These people are living a complete fantasy in an attempt to dupe others such as ourselves. This could be for their own self-gratification or perhaps rationalized as an experiment in psychology. The story might wind up in a thesis some day. I'm suspecting True Immortals falls into this category. It's either that or "literature."

3. These people have been duped by others themselves and believe the fantasy they are promoting. They went looking, found what they are looking for, and believe it unconditionally. I'm guessing Ben Abba falls into this category.

I've run out of space...continued.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
.....Continued from above, possibilities:

4. Amazingly, it's true. Statistically speaking it is inevitable that a gene mutation would hit the sweet spot and allow for increased longevity. The comments by methuselah are interesting if taken in that context, though his comments seem to allude to a fixed number of people, ten, of whom six (or seven) survive today. THAT in itself would lead one to believe an engineered solution, though there are many problems with that idea as well.

Methuselah is a bit coy in his information and responses. Well, you might say, of course you would be, too, if you were in his situation. For myself, I would think someone in his situation wouldn't say ANYTHING at all! It sounds a bit like a tease to me, which fits him inbto the "fooling others for fun and profit" category above.

I'm wondering if there are other incidents of this behavior out on the Net which we have missed?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
1. The possibility that this site, The Ageless Gene, is a hoax has to be taken seriously. Whoever put this site up has gone to a lot of effort not only on the site itself, which is well done, but in taking steps to make sure he remains anonymous. In his FAQ, to which you alluded, I don't think his answers to, "Is this fake?" are very good. He goes on at great length about how Gene's language structure is stilted and reflects age and that he must learn a new language every ten years or so.

Both these assertions are unlikely. Gene's language would have changed with the times, just as ours does. I wouldn't have said, "Google this!" ten years ago; I do now with some frequency. You can't tell an accent via typing. so that whole strain makes no sense. Gene would NOT have been forced to learn a new language every ten years. It would put him at a distinct disadvantage to do so. Not that he NEVER would have, but there is no good reason why he would have to do it every decade. He has more than a continent to move around in for English.

This is a fault I see on "Man from Earth" as well. All John Oldman would have had to do is dye his temples a bit grey and he'd have had another ten years and been able to "retire" normally from his position. His sudden resignation mid-year rings a lot more alarm bells than if he had quietly waited to the end of the school year. Plot devices sometimes require this and I'm cool with it, but this does not reflect logical thinking.

So the FAQ does not sit well with me. It's as if the author anticipated the objections and simply worked around them, then pointed out how clever he was in his FAQ. I also question why the author put up the site in the first place. It costs money to maintain. What's the motivation here? I do not understand that.

That's all worth serious consideration & also shows I was a tad too quick to dismiss the possibility of it being a hoax so I was at something of a crossroads after reading it. You raising so many good questions lead me to consider one neither of us initially picked up on. The site's creator claims they wish to remain anonymous in another attempt to show it's not a hoax, something that struck me as odd given the nature of the information as personal security would be my biggest concern if I'd stumbled across something of such a potentially world changing nature. So the question becomes 'just how anonymous are they?'

Address lookup
canonical name agelessgene.com.
aliases
addresses 208.109.138.206
Domain Whois record

Queried whois.internic.net with "dom agelessgene.com"...

Domain Name: AGELESSGENE.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: registrar.godaddy.com...
Name Server: NS19.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS20.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Updated Date: 13-oct-2010
Creation Date: 12-oct-2005
Expiration Date: 12-oct-2011

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:54:13 UTC

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I would say YES. In the bible it speaks of people living 900+ years....what is that about? Our Creator(s) made us in their image, which would mean we get some attritubes from them right? Hence long or immortal life? Also i once read something saying that the world as we know it today was created by the 3 sons of Kronos, the titan. His 3 sons were Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon had immortal life and they all 3 took 1/3 of the earth for their rule, split right in the middle at the Egyptian pyramids, which is the center of all the landmass on earth.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

some marine creatures do have that trait. it's called negligible senescence. i've been interested in it for forever. i wonder if there is some way in which we could isolate the hormones that control that and transfer it to human beings.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
JESUS CHRST IN A GODDAM CARDIGEN SWEATER I THINK MY ROACHES HAVE THIS!

i am so pissed off right now. Who were those crazy people who made those roaches crawl all over that woman as they were torturing and killing her through neglect and starvation?

No seriously... is that kind of genetic engineering possible with simpler life forms... because don't EVER put that crap past people. If somebody hasn't already thought of it they are probably thinking of it right now.

i worked very hard in this house yesterday and am still not even at a place where i can sit down and enjoy more than two bites of food. My stomach burns like fire right now and there is nothing i can do about that but think about how certain people in big fine houses that I have had the misfortune of knowing... who are local to me... who deserve to have everything thing they love and every comfort of their life taken from them bit by bit as they are tied down and made to watch.

Days like this I try not to leave the house... i know better.

I'm serious... i'm not trying to derail this for the hell of it... there is something wrong with these bugs. they don't die when you spray them... with anything except concentrated things like paint thinner. bug spray does not phase them. at the very most it just gives them fuzzy wings. it's weird.

could it be the radiation?
edit on 18-9-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join