It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
ok ok so I was wrong but it doesnt hurt to imagine now does it?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't know where they came from but they are so awesome looking, wouldn't it suck to have to fight one of them Mauis?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Dont know if this will help very much. But in a underwater cave down in the island of Mallorca, Spain there is a "stone/statue" that is pretty much an exact copy of the statues on Easter Island, i have personally made about 60 dives in that cave and from the first dive i saw what it looked like and probably 10-15 people who dived there asked me if it was some kind of joke. Unfortunally i never toook a picture of the statue but if i can find one ill try to post it here.

Scubaman

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
scubaman...very interesting indeed. I have never heard of it, and I hope you can find some pictures or a story about it, because I'm very intrigued by your story. Im not saying it "literally" has anything to do with Easter Island or not, but I would like to know more about this statue at Mallorca.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
As a teenager living in Micronesia in 1960, I had the honor of meeting the great man himself. Mr. Heyerdahl (who died only a year or so ago), was a gracious man indeed.

However, Heyerdahy was always on the fringes of accepted science. His basic approach was that since the (fill in the blanks) could, in fact perform (fill in the blanks) therefore that is evidence that they actually did do (fill in the blanks).

Nonetheless, his hypotheses, while never achieving the wide-spread acceptance of the mainstream scientific community, make sense to me.

However, I don't think that anyone who has actually visited Rapa Nui (Easter island) actually thought the decline of the locals was brought about by European visitors; they succumbed to other pressures, including a denuding the Island of trees for fuel.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
scubaman...very interesting indeed. I have never heard of it, and I hope you can find some pictures or a story about it, because I'm very intrigued by your story. Im not saying it "literally" has anything to do with Easter Island or not, but I would like to know more about this statue at Mallorca.

Ill give you as much info that i can remember, i havent dived there since 2000.

When you enter the small bay of "Cala Sa Nau" by boat on Mallorcas east coast, close to Porto Colom and Cala d�Or the cave is on your left hand side, just below a small crack in the rocks.
Approx. 2-3 meters below the surface there is a entrence and if you follow the wall on your right hand side to the end of the cave, approx 60 m (200 feet) you will see the stone/statue standing on the sandbottom. To get the best look of it you have to go behind it and face the entrance of the cave and the you will see the 1-1� m (3-4,5 feet) high statue with the blu light from behind.
The forehead, eyesockets, nose and chin is very very similar to the staues on Easter Island. But smaller.

Pictures of this staue seem hard to find, but ill write again if i find one.

This i found on a site about the area :Link
"When we arrive to Cala Sa Nau we see the natural perforated ledge that locks the entrance of the bay. Just before we reach the cove, we should get off a few meters to the left, in order to visit a prehistoric cave which is worthwhile seeing. At some places of the cove the sea is very cold as there is a well springing from under the boathouse at the beach. "

Is it possible that this cave thats 2-3 meter bellow sealevel was actually above the surface when the statues on Easter Island was built?

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well experts say that the Pyramids were man-made, and if they are, then these statues sure are. But I still find it odd on why they made them like that. My opinion is some type of god they were worshipping. And any of you interested in these statues or anything like that should read Robert Doherty's Area 51 series. It is a pretty good series taking theories and legends (pyramids, statues on easter island, stonehedge, etc) and expanding on them. Note these books are not talking truth, so don't go believeing everything in them...they are just fun to read.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubaman
Is it possible that this cave thats 2-3 meter bellow sealevel was actually above the surface when the statues on Easter Island wasI built?

An excellent question! I did some research on it, and found that the earliest date for the Polynesians to have arrived on Easter Island is about 1000 AD. That would be during this present "interglacial period" but it wasn't during a point of great cold (the "little ice age" of the 1600's.)

Given the slow rise in sea levels, it *IS* possible that it was just at water level when the first statues were carved (if they were carved in the 1100's.) It's not something I'd stake a bet on, however -- not without a lot of other research. But yes, there's an outside chance that this area was out of the water then.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Ill give you as much info that i can remember, i havent dived there since 2000.

When you enter the small bay of "Cala Sa Nau" by boat on Mallorcas east coast, close to Porto Colom and Cala d�Or the cave is on your left hand side, just below a small crack in the rocks.
Approx. 2-3 meters below the surface there is a entrence and if you follow the wall on your right hand side to the end of the cave, approx 60 m (200 feet) you will see the stone/statue standing on the sandbottom. To get the best look of it you have to go behind it and face the entrance of the cave and the you will see the 1-1� m (3-4,5 feet) high statue with the blu light from behind.
The forehead, eyesockets, nose and chin is very very similar to the staues on Easter Island. But smaller.

Pictures of this staue seem hard to find, but ill write again if i find one.

Scoob... This is really interesting. The visage of the Rapa Nui statues is very distinct and I've always thought that they were really really cool. If you can find a photo, I'll be very excited -- doesn't every scuba diver have a picture-taking partner?

Zip

[edit on 14-10-2004 by Zipdot]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
"Rapa Nui" is a Kevin Costner film, I don't know how culturally or historically accurate it is. When you lose a written language, it becomes a little difficult to remember your history. The best thing anthropologists can do is examine cultural markers like pottery and fishing tackle to find out where Easter Islanders really came from. You might think Heyerdol is retarted but, I too have sailed from South America to the South Pacific, so I know it's regularly possible. That may account for the different races. Asians, Indians and the mulatos.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
there was a programme recentley on easter island (cant remember which channel) and a team of Japanese engineers had gone to easter island to resurect the fallen statues to their original glory,it was very intresting and if i remember rightly they used methods already mentioned in previous posts involving logs and stones for leverage-draging the rocks on rollers from one side of the island to the other.
There was only a little focus on the previous inhabitants and the theory of their demise-it seemed that rising populations had led to a growing shortage of materials availble for building and eventual total extinction of livestock herds,resulting in civil war and evetual starvation and extinction of the natives,those who didnt stay on the island left by canoe and headed else where.
Until relativelry recentley there were no trees on the island but there is now a expanding growth of eucalyptus trees in the islands interior,i cant remember if these have grown naturally or were re-introduced?
Either way i think there are major "blank" spots in the history of this island and its previous inhabitants-i think nearly all the statues are suposed to carry very solem,un happy expressions on their faces-why?
Some one else who has seen the documentry i mentioned may be able to shed more light on the subject.

Regards.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
how did they move all of them they are huge

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
i watched a documentry on it they used trees appartly like the pyramids but in doing this they wiped out the resourses for there for sources and turned to canablizum

top topics

<< 1   >>

join