It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Devil's Flower Mantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Look at this creature, such a strange one!
Very well camoflauged for his environment, but exceedingly bizzare-looking when outside it.

This one is amazing, as he sheds his skin:

edit on 9-9-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I just want to say we should all count our lucky stars that they're not big or we're not tiny.

Nature is amazing but it can be gorram terrifying at times!

edit on 9/9/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS CREATURE EXISTED!?!? Holy Crap! Those things are amazing! I love how in the second video it shows it shifting it's weight away from the thumb. It's amazing the way it didn't actually retreat, just shifted position. Please, if you are aware of any more amazing creatures like this, share them as well!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
That is one of the craziest creatures I've ever seen!! What part of the world are they from? Man, I'm gonna have nightmares

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
very attractive specimen i love mantis of all types... think i am going to buy one...my roomie had one it lived 4.5 years... and never stopped growing. sooo freaking awesome!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ya praying mantises are pretty cool, and they have been known to attack prey much larger then themselves such as snakes and birds there all kinds of vids online about that, and with the way they are build they can get pretty big for a bug, like in that vid of the guys mantis and how it uses its four legs to stabilize itself and its base as he moves his thumb.

With all its weight on those four legs plus it two hands can be used as legs to stabilize itself as well and to move around, so it has a pretty good base and technically if it was bigger it still should be just as deadly and stable for its body type. Though it would not fly to well, so as always there are many reasons they are the size they are.

Here's a cool mantis vid. Beware the killer mantises.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

What a devilishly handsome specimen! Would make a good sci-fi creature!
Thanks for sharing...

Peace,
spec
edit on 10-9-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

top topics

join