It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston we have a problem : Breakup of Comet Elenin is slowing it down

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

Originally posted by Tangled2011

Originally posted by kwell

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by kwell

Couldn't it be very possible that the gravitational pull of elenin could change its trajectory? The Bible says we get hit with an asteroid. It also tells us there will be a solar flare that hits the earth before the asteroid.

No, the comet does not have enough mass. It sailed blithely past two asteroids on the way in and neither of them seemed to notice. It has been a while since I've read the Bible, but I don't recall seeing the word "asteroid" anywhere. Or solar flare.

Revelation 8:8 ....and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea.......

Sounds like an asteroid to me.

...I've got to be honest I don't see how that is an asteroid :S... i'd say forest fire before asteroid and even thats pushing the boat out (not to sea though
)

What is it about people and the Bible??

"as it were a great mountain burning with fire"

every heard of a Volcano?,,,"great mountain burning with fire",,

seriously sometimes,,
a forest fire???,,,
"Sounds like an asteroid to me."???

IT'S a Volcano,,,

"great mountain burning with fire",,

wake-up ,,seriously,,,wtfu.,,people.

No, no,

It's hemorrhoids!

Ah, the soothing coolness of the salty sea water.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by carl6405

They do. They de-orbit space craft (satellites) all the time. The only problem is there is no 100% sure way to guarantee where it will land. They can aim for the Pacific Ocean for instance, but as it re-enters it breaks up as it burns, this randomness will affect its trajectory. The change is usually not much and it will land with a given target zone. However in some cases it could wander out of the expected target zone. I have not read up on this particular satellite however so I can’t comment on its de-orbit. Was it planned or a malfunction? I will have to go read up on it I guess.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophoros

new tragectory means we might see Niburu a little later.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It has to do with the fact that if solar winds are being slowed by comet elenin's passing, then Comet Elenin must be being slowed by the solar wind. It could be minute enough to be negligible, but it has to be true none the less.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Does anyone else here see parallels between Elenin and the Hale Bopp fiasco? I have to admit I'm a bit concerned that some small group amongst us plans to reenact a "Heaven's Gate" type scenario on or around October 18th. If I was a part of the ATS staff I'd be treating this subject much more seriously.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

No.
The comet was not slowed by the solar wind. It increased velocity until perihelion at which point its velocity began to decrease, following the rules of orbital mechanics. Its orbit has not changed in any appreciable manner, no matter what some guy on youtube video says. The calculated time of perihelion and close approach to Earth have not changed in any substantial manner since early this year when the orbital elements had been well determined.

If, as you say, the solar wind had a negligible effect, what's the point of discussing it?

neg·li·gi·ble

adjective
so small, trifling, or unimportant that it may safely be neglected or disregarded:

dictionary.reference.com...

edit on 9/10/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by mandella1099

Wow, Phage - Are all of your comments being supported by your observations with your own personal equipment?

No.
They are supported by orbital mechanics as well as a history of what has happened during many other cometary breakups.

Oh, my misunderstanding - I thought that you had done multiple observations and research on this comet to validate and support your many comments.....
edit on 10-9-2011 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Theophoros

*yaWn.. Useless information. Elenin has no relevance what so ever to man kind..

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Masterjaden

No.
The comet was not slowed by the solar wind. It increased velocity until perihelion at which point its velocity began to decrease, following the rules of orbital mechanics. Its orbit has not changed in any appreciable manner, no matter what some guy on youtube video says. The calculated time of perihelion and close approach to Earth have not changed in any substantial manner since early this year when the orbital elements had been well determined.

If, as you say, the solar wind had a negligible effect, what's the point of discussing it?

neg·li·gi·ble

adjective
so small, trifling, or unimportant that it may safely be neglected or disregarded:

dictionary.reference.com...

edit on 9/10/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I thought retrograde motion only happens with land based telescopes?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

I thought retrograde motion only happens with land based telescopes?

I suppose you're talking about the "pulse" video. No. It happens where ever you are.
Here's Mercury going retrograde as seen from STEREO B. Watch it move from left to right, slow, then move from right to left as it reaches the "edge" of its orbit as seen from the spacecraft.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dd1d7be4fa8a.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 9/11/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by iNkGeEk
If it collides with Earth and wipes us all out, then oh well. Not much we can do about it. Otherwise, it'll miss us and, as they say, "The world keeps on turning"...at least until the next doomsday prophecy.

or at least until the next comet speeds it's way toward Earth...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
It's hemorrhoids!

*Eee*
lol
Hemorrhoid ... Asteroid .... *levels out hands* Yup I can totally see that confusion.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you for clearing both threads up. Teeheehee

Edit: Close thread.
edit on 11-9-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
i havent heard anything about his in the mdm. I have a question tho, is this thing supposed to be as awesome in the sky as hale bopp was,,

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Not even close.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by greenCo

You are absolutely right about velocity equaling mass times acceleration.

When you break something up, all the pieces have the same total mass as the original object. This is true for a comet moving through space.

As there is no change in mass.

There is no significant change in velocity.

There may be a tiny change due to the greater area of interaction with the solar wind due to the increase in area facing the Sun, but this is trivial as there was already an interaction with the solar wind before the break up.

No, each part has less mass, so less velocity (even though its relatively accelerating right now, because the perihelion thing). Its no more one object, but several ones. Furthermore, we don´t know the extent of this breaking happening to elenin.
edit on 9-9-2011 by greenCo because: (no reason given)

You guys are making this out to be way more complicated than it is.

First of all, the poster that started this tangent was flat out wrong. Velocity is not mass times acceleration, force is. An object losing mass does not mean it also loses velocity, it simply means it will exert less force on whatever it impacts, which is obvious if you think about it; of two objects with the same acceleration, the one with the most mass is going to hit the hardest.

The first of Newton's Laws of Motion: The velocity of an object remains constant unless acted upon by an external force., Elenin could break into a million pieces, but the velocity isn't going to change.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Akasirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Not at all.
Velocity = mass * acceleration... so less mass because is breaking up, then less velocity. Simple physics.

Actually, mass * acceleration = force (usually measured in Newtons). Velocity is an instantaneous measurement of the speed of an object,
edit on 11-9-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: correct quote

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Had a sleep did a bit more studying.... Noted the silences for 9/11... then got back to work as requested accurate figures taking into account Velocity and favourable trajectory....
2km Comet/Meteor-40km Crater Radius-4000 sqr km kill zone all life.
still very damaging and deadly....How ever "WIMPY" they like to call it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme
Does anyone else here see parallels between Elenin and the Hale Bopp fiasco? I have to admit I'm a bit concerned that some small group amongst us plans to reenact a "Heaven's Gate" type scenario on or around October 18th. If I was a part of the ATS staff I'd be treating this subject much more seriously.

I'm not worried about such an event.. in fact.. I say bring it on! The less of these gullible fear-mongers polluting the gene pool the better.

IRM

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Dito although people may consider me abit of a fear-mongerer but that isn't my intension by a long chalk... I was asked so I provided.
My view is it will be close and the next time this 2km beast swings by it will have to be dealt with.... see doesn't beast sound better than wimpy

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join