It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston we have a problem : Breakup of Comet Elenin is slowing it down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
New trajectory places comet to pass Earth's Orbital Corridor on November 3rd - when Earth will be right in the way.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into space...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Its not breaking up.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Old77

Source? Not being sarcastic, I just really think we need to make up our minds as a whole whether its breaking up or not..

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophoros
New trajectory places comet to pass Earth's Orbital Corridor on November 3rd - when Earth will be right in the way.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into space...

im appauled by the disinformation sprints of MSM.

lemme get this straight, Nasa calls it a wimpy comet

MSM says its breaking up

latests scientists say its trajectory has changed since the breakup,

and MSM now say it hasn't been breaking up?

figures!

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It's slowing down because it's a giant spaceship.

In all honesty, I could care less. If it collides with Earth and wipes us all out, then oh well. Not much we can do about it. Otherwise, it'll miss us and, as they say, "The world keeps on turning"...at least until the next doomsday prophecy.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old77
Its not breaking up.

Is it breaking up or not - I don't know because there are so many conflicting opinions.

Is this thing going to hit us or not - more conflicting opinions.

Everyone presents their own opinion with their own evidence so what the H.... do we believe?

They tell us a Satalite is coming down - but those who are supposed to know - don't know where it will land!!!! Now if we can't believe Nasa and rely on their knowledge - how do we believe what they tell us about this damn Comet - how can they know where it will land/not land if they can't even tell where a Satalite will land?????

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophoros

Latest science says it does appear to have broken up. Even its discoverer Leon Elenin has commented on its break up.

Because the pieces are in the vacuum of space and the forces upon the comet are unchanged, they are not, essentially, changing direction, slowing down, speeding up or anything similar. The comet is just becoming softer and fuzzier as moves on its original orbital trajectory.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'll get to your questions in a sec - but I thought this was interesting - this info came out after I published that video : Peers that satellite is gonna hit down sometime between October and November - you know, like November 3rd when Elenin gets here.

How convient...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Latest science says it does appear to have broken up. Even its discoverer Leon Elenin has commented on its break up.

Because the pieces are in the vacuum of space and the forces upon the comet are unchanged, they are not, essentially, changing direction, slowing down, speeding up or anything similar. The comet is just becoming softer and fuzzier as moves on its original orbital trajectory.

Not at all.
Velocity = mass * acceleration... so less mass because is breaking up, then less velocity. Simple physics.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Its the classic"Change the info often enough and people will get confused" . If you add the blackouts etc, it surely makes you go Mmmmm?. There is so much bad, false and downright MSM lies surrounding the times we live in, its a wonder we have enough sanity left to make an informed choice.

Where are the usual suspects to debunk, or even retract the "Elenin is breaking up, no harm to us, just a large snowball" rhetoric thats been getting spewed all over this and every other board. There is a game afoot and I dont know about the rest of you people but Im sick of it !

respects

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The only thing we can be sure of right now is that the Leonid meteor shower is going to be one hell of a show this year; Passing through the debris trail within days of the main body passing means we are going to have a once-in-a-lifetime display.

The only real question is how big some of these meteorites are going to be...it's a safe bet that there is going to be some damage.

For example...think Tunguska in the USSR/Russia.

On the other hand, I keep hearing words from The Chronicles of Riddick...

The comet always precedes them, these world enders...

Having past Jupiter and the fact that space is a vacuum (no atmosphere) I'm curious as to what is slowing it down?

Although there is some complex math involved, don't we use planatary gravity as a slingshot for our deep space probes? Shouldn't approaching the largest gravity-well in our solar system be causing acceleration?

Odd.
edit on 9-9-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

Its not breaking up.

Is it breaking up or not - I don't know because there are so many conflicting opinions.

Everyone presents their own opinion with their own evidence so what the H.... do we believe?

They tell us a Satalite is coming down - but those who are supposed to know - don't know where it will land!!!! Now if we can't believe Nasa and rely on their knowledge - how do we believe what they tell us about this damn Comet - how can they know where it will land/not land if they can't even tell where a Satalite will land?????

On images from Sept. 1st in the comet’s coma there was no condensation visible, and that meant the comet had already broken up into fairly small pieces...

spaceobs.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo

Not at all.
Velocity = mass * acceleration... so less mass because is breaking up, then less velocity. Simple physics.

newtonian physics lol

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

Its not breaking up.

Well, one thing is a fact.

The movie Deep Impact has over 17 points of coincidence with Comet Elenin not the least of which is that both comets broke up.

So, either the Insiders want you to believe this comet is going to hit us or the comet is gonna hit us...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Actually, there is indication that it is slowing down and this would be due to the greater surface area of the pieces reacting with the Solar wind, thus slowing them all down.

Shotgun affect - Shot as compared to a Slug...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo

Not at all.

Thanks...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

They rely on our confusion - which leads to inaction to be able to carry out their agenda!

Just as long as we keep putting the pennies in the bank and keep running their businesses until they get in their shelters. Just as long as the masses don't catch on and turn into a lynch mob before they hit those bunkers.

Yes they love confusion - it stops decisions being made!

They have all the black budget money and supposedly the worlds top scientific brains poured into Nasa and the likes and they know exactly what is coming - Satalite my Backside! That just buys them those last few hours to head for the bunkers.

link   

Originally posted by captiva
Its the classic"Change the info often enough and people will get confused" . If you add the blackouts etc, it surely makes you go Mmmmm?. There is so much bad, false and downright MSM lies surrounding the times we live in, its a wonder we have enough sanity left to make an informed choice.

Where are the usual suspects to debunk, or even retract the "Elenin is breaking up, no harm to us, just a large snowball" rhetoric thats been getting spewed all over this and every other board. There is a game afoot and I dont know about the rest of you people but Im sick of it !

respects

I would also point out that, even with this break up, this comet still has no tail.

This indicates to myself that it is composed of almost solid iron ferrite.

It ain't yo mamma's comet...

link   

another fact....

Deep Impact was a movie based on a fictitious yet plausible story. It's not a documentary.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by greenCo

You are absolutely right about velocity equaling mass times acceleration.

When you break something up, all the pieces have the same total mass as the original object. This is true for a comet moving through space.

As there is no change in mass.

There is no significant change in velocity.

There may be a tiny change due to the greater area of interaction with the solar wind due to the increase in area facing the Sun, but this is trivial as there was already an interaction with the solar wind before the break up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join