It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the 6.4 quake (9/9/11) in Vancouver be a foreshock to a mega quake?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Westcoast....these are very small....are they in the same area?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

Sorry I was away from the thread for so long. We won our football game (yeah!) but then I got to sit in the ER for 3 hrs while my son got his chin stitched up. Hopefully it's not fractured. *sigh*

As to your question about the kit: you would want the same items you'd find in any good emergency kit. Such as:

Enough water and protein to last your family for at least 3 days (remember I am talking about a back-pack. It is short term)

Emergency blankets
Flash light (hand crank kind is best)
knife
compass
flint (fire starting materials)
candles
hand warmers (great to put in the blanket for warmth)
gloves
first aid kit
water purifying tablets
vitamins (I have some of the emergency C packs you can add to water)
candy/jerky
paper/pen
Ponchos (critical for this part of the world!
)
emergency radio (again it's a hand crank)
rope
hand-crank phone chargers

I know I am forgetting stuff...but thats some of the things I have in my bag. I would never buy the pre-made bags.

As to how I felt before the Japan quake:

I got the point of obsession the last few days before. I had a growing sense/need to watch and monitor for about a week before-hand. The day off I cut myself off. BUT...I kept hearing emergency broadcast messages on the tv/radio that didn't help. I told several people the day-of that I had a horrible feeling something bad was going to happen. That a large quake was going to hit, but i didn't know where. I felt we might be in danger. My ears were ringing, I felt dizzy/nauseous. About an hour before I got an over-whelming sense of anxiety and pending doom. I started to smell a very dark/dank/sweet/rotting smell. It seemed to be coming from my body and it was making me feel sick.

15 minutes before it hit, I turned my computer back on, loaded up GEE and made one last post about my feelings and my dogs sudden alerting behavior.

I found out the next day from my sister that she had the same smell plagueing her. She told me about it before I even mentioned anything. She has had prophetic dreams in the past.

I am not trying to turn this thread into one of prophecy, etc....but you asked me and I want to answer you honestly. it has caused me to pay more attention to my intuition and gut. The situation today is based more on science and history.....although my anxiety has been high again.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

It's so great to hear from you justmike!!! As always you have very valid points and great input. Thank you.

It's driving me crazy that we keep hearing from other sources that there are after-shocks, but nowhere are they listed! I have seen two small ones myself on GEE....but nada on the charts. Ugh.

hopfeully this IS just another settling and nothing further will come from it for now!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Why is it everytime someone has an earthquake it's a precursor to the"Big One" everyone becomes a modern day prophet,I live in So California almost 60 years,this is getting old hat,funniest things if you look at rediculous threads they usually have the most posts,what is this a precursor to?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

Sorry, but just because you haven't experienced a major event on the West Coast in your 60 yrs does NOT mean it won't happen.

I hope we go another 60 yrs without one....all the professionals say it'll be sooner than that though.

I am only urging everyone to pay attention. And if you think I'm calling myself a prophet, than you need to actually read some of my threads.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Those are around 2,000 miles away...but at what I consider the opposite end of the subduction zone.

The gulf has seen a whole bunch of moderates quakes this year though, so it isn't anything that excites me too much.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
No..small quakes let off pressure so the big quakes dont happen

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

No it's not. But what it does show is that there are still people panicing over nothing because they can';t think straight.
Every little 6.0 quake has people going nuts trying to be prophetic or pathetic.

I don't actually see many people panicking, and it certainly is not nothing. The energy released in a 6.4 is about that of 4 Hiroshima bombs and I can't conceive that as being nothing. Obviously not a direct blast but nonetheless a substantial 'disturbance' shall we say.

I would also remind you that earthquakes of lower magnitudes have killed people, but again not perhaps in areas that are well prepared. Oh and by the way a 6.0 is little by comparison to a 6.4 - about 4 times smaller (15.1 kilo tons of TNT compared to 60 kilo tons)

Now I assume that your comment "No it's not" refers to the title. Since we cannot determine this until a larger one occurs it is actually reasonable in some respects to take either point of view, normally from a position of some knowledge on the area, but such announcement can hardly be called prophetic.

Now I don't know where you hail from so have no knowledge of your familiarity with earthquakes. Whilst Alaskans say they eat mag 7 quakes for breakfast, where I live a mag 3 would be an eye-opener. I think it is unreasonable to call anyone who is concerned for their safety and the safety of others pathetic. Misinformed sometimes maybe, but pathetic ? No.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I could not conceive ignoring a request for data! )I don't work at the University of East Anglia
)

If you look in my signature you will see the earthquake links. That takes you to my Wordpress site where I have lists of many site that provide earthquake, seismo, GPS and volcano data. Any time I spot a new link that is not in the list it gets added.

I am(very slowly) changing the format to be by country / region so for instance Japan has been done and you can see ALL the Japan info on the one page.

My mission is to inform!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Old timer is right, though. 6ish quakes happen all the time along the ring of fire.

This is a perfect example how fear mongering is getting a bunch of unstable people all worked up.

That pain in the pit of your belly, folks, is a chronic anxiety disorder.

Yes, prepare for surviving a disaster. Yes, care about your loved ones. Yes, pay attention to current events.

But please, get over yourselves and your need to spread your malaise to those of lesser intelligence!

The big one will likely hit when nobody expects it...especially you.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I can tell you from experience that if you actually phone the Canadian site (yes they post a phone number) a Seismologist will call you back and answer your questions.

I had an incident here in New Brunswick a month ago and when I called they called me back within 10 minutes

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I live in Seattle....and after I heard about the quake in Vancouver, Canada...I thought to myself...is this a warning of another quake to come?

Thank you for your research....unfortunately I think the quake yesterday...may be a warning....I am kind of on the edge of my seat (so to speak) waiting for the next one.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Why is it everytime someone has an earthquake it's a precursor to the"Big One" everyone becomes a modern day prophet,I live in So California almost 60 years,this is getting old hat,funniest things if you look at rediculous threads they usually have the most posts,what is this a precursor to?

At what point in this thread did anyone state there was going to be a big earthquake? Was a date mentioned? Was the size of the quake predicted?

Or did they just pose a question with data to back it up?

Originally posted by gandamack2
No..small quakes let off pressure so the big quakes don't happen

Do you have evidence of this? If you do please present it because i would love to see it. The OP was kind enough to post data along with the OP, it would be great if you could return the favor.

Originally posted by voiceoreason
Old timer is right, though. 6ish quakes happen all the time along the ring of fire.

This is a perfect example how fear mongering is getting a bunch of unstable people all worked up.

That pain in the pit of your belly, folks, is a chronic anxiety disorder.

Yes, prepare for surviving a disaster. Yes, care about your loved ones. Yes, pay attention to current events.

But please, get over yourselves and your need to spread your malaise to those of lesser intelligence!

The big one will likely hit when nobody expects it...especially you.

Again, evidence please... For someone who is telling others to get over themselves for asking a question, and providing evidence, you sure seem to be pretty prophetic. Its amazing how you can diagnose chronic anxiety disorder over the internet, and have predicted that the big one will hit when nobody expects it.

As a resident of Washington state my entire life i can tell you that while earthquakes may be common for the ring of fire, they are not nearly as common in Washington.

Since 1872 there have been 10 notable earthquakes in Washington.
Since 1872 there have been 109 notable earthquakes in California.
"Notable" being magnitude 3.4 or higher
Source

While i do agree with the fact that fear mongering and prophetic mumbo jumbo has become a scourge on ATS, i think it is wise to chose your battles. There is no fault in asking a question, posting evidence, and sharing personal feelings. The fault lies in omitting the EVIDENCE part.

Westcoast, your posts are always very informative. I really enjoy reading what you post, and because of the info you have provided i have a greater understanding of the crust dynamics in Washington state.
As a lifetime resident of Washington, this info is of great importance to me.

DC

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Akasirus

and consider yourself starred!

Just a couple of points

A 10+ on the Richter scale... So an earthquake more than 10 times as powerful than the one in Japan

32 x more powerful actually. 0.5 Giga tons of TNT for a 9.0 and 15.1 Gigatons of TNT for a 10.0, or 2.0 Exajoules to 63.1 Exajoules, a difference of 61.1 Exajoules. The TOTAL energy release of 2010 of mag 5+ earthquakes was about 1.2 Exajoules so the DIFFERENCE is about 51 times the total energy of 2010 !!!
I love statistics

Are you going to give up on this theory after Sept. 30th when nothing happens, or are you just going to shift the dates and find a new reason why God's telling us "it's time"?

Yup, that is about the size of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I hope nothing happens in our region today. My wife, son and myself are taking a drive to Ocean Shores, WA. You can bet I'm going to be eyeing thhe tsunami evacuation signs on the way down today

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hi WC, just had a look at your PNSN link and particularily some of the Plate Boundary Observatory Borehole Seismic Network stations and it appears that there have indeed been aftershocks to this quake, I counted 21 definite traces onPB.B102 EHZ channel for the 24hrs, at Ucluelet, BC, the closest siesmo to the epicenter.and on the IRIS version for the same station and channel
and about 11 on day 253 on PNSN and IRIS (both EHZ channels)

The last quake listed by EQ Canada in the immediate area (prior to the 6.6) was a 2.1 but I can't see anything on the graph at PB102 that matches so the siesmo must be set to a higher level and these aftershocks must be over Mag 3

I posted this map over on QuakeWatch 2011 which shows quakes prior to the 6.6Mw off the EQ Canada list
Activity o/s Gold River in the 30 days prior to 6.6 thought it might be useful here to show that this quake didn't suddenly pop up out of the blue like some posters have intimated.

Not sure why the aftershocks that show on the siesmos aren't being listed on EQ canada though
edit on 10-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I wouldn't be nearly as interested in this quake if it wasn't for the postings of tmiddlebrook in the Arkansas earthquake thread. Even I have a hard time ignoring a large enough pile of circumstantial evidence.

Earth's seismic activity is such an elegant fit to Chaos Theory that I can't help but get caught up in it.
Take this earthquake. Does the lack of any sizable aftershocks mean all of the energy was released? Does it mean the stress has shifted? Does it mean the energy is building up again? Does it mean there was so little energy left that it's all being released in microquake aftershocks?
Each of these possibilities has a different outcome.
If all (or almost all) of the energy was released, then we shouldn't see much of anything... until the stress builds again, of course.
If the stress has shifted, then it could have gone to a location where it dissipated (not necessarily still at a fault), or it could have gone to an area capable only of minor quakes, or it could have gone to a similar area, or it could have gone to an area capable of much larger quakes. Given the region (Cascadia), I find it hard to believe that a shift in stress would take it anywhere safe...but, again, it's all Chaos.
If the energy is building up again, then anything is possible: a smaller quake, a similar-sized quake, a larger quake... multiple quakes. It's impossible to say.

But, then there's tmiddlebrook. And, suddenly, this chaotic system is given the possibility of having a little order and predictability.
Unfortunately, that predicted order results in catastrophe.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
PLEASE....if you live on the West Coast...be prepared. I am not trying to scare anyone, but we need to be realistic. Be prepared.

ETA: Almost three hours and NOTHING you guys......tick-tock.

Deadman's Advocate...
Yes, the world is coming to an end.

Run... Run... Run for your lives!

Don't forget to pick up McDonald's on the way. Dying makes you hungry.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It has been theorized that all the recent quakes we have had are complimentary quakes to the really big one in Indonesia that set off the tsunami.I am personally wondering if the millions of tons of ice that is melting in Greenland and Antarctica is changing the weight distribution of the crust and therefore altering the stresses imposed on the tectonic faults globally.As water is very heavy, and millions of tons of it are being displaced from one location on the planet (polar regions) to another (oceans), that this could be having some kind of effect is not unreasonavble . Also sea temperatures have been rising, and that heat energy could be having an effect. Since this particular quake occurred not far from the subduction fault running up and down the coast there, I would be concerned if I lived on the coast.
edit on 10-9-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I haven't seen those posts, but I am going to check it out. I don't know much about earthquakes, but I find it fascinating and trying to learn more. Thank you for the info....as usual!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join