It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the 6.4 quake (9/9/11) in Vancouver be a foreshock to a mega quake?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Haven't people said this about every recent earthquake and nothing else happen?
edit on 9/10/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have to say, I've been feeling dread all in this later part of the day today, although I also feel it whenever it's close to raining.

Tomorrow, it's going to be mid-90s with a good chance of a thunderstorm.

Earthquake or no earthquake, I feel that tomorrow could be a long day...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Could the 6.4 quake (9/9/11) in Vancouver be a foreshock to a mega quake?
Sure it could. It could also not be a foreshock to a mega quake.

I'm not exactly an earthquake expert, but why does the depth of the earthquake matter? Tectonic plates are colliding, why does it matter if the collision is happening further underground? Wouldn't the earthquake feel stronger if they're colliding closer to the surface where people are walking around and stuff?

edit on 10-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Thank you WC!
I have actually been looking for your thoughts on this quake. I know you take a lot of flak from others about "fear mongering" or being "paranoid" however I have never thought that to be the case. I certainly appreciate your efforts and thank you for giving us your opinion on the subject.

As soon as I saw this quake my immediate thoughts were about the rather large earthquake prior to the 9+ Japan quake. Many thought the prior quake was the bigger one, I do not think many anticipated that it was a precursor of what was to come. The lack of after shocks here certainly seems odd, however I am not an earthquake expert and I do have to concede to the expertise of others.

So again, than you for all your work on this topic. Stay safe.

Mr. Wendal

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Lets look at the facts: There have been mega earthquakes going around the ring of fire 188 days apart. Chile 2-27-10, New Zealand 9-4-10, Japan 3-3-11. Spaced evenly apart...that would mark central california as a target on September 15, 2011. I think it will be much worse than a 9.0, I'm thinking 10+. Then lets look how Japan has had liquefaction happening since the earthquake...you can find the videos on youtube...it's floating. Then look at the U.S Navy map of the future. California, Nevada, and Utah are gone. Then there was this guy in 1937 name Joe Brandt that had a dream/vision of California falling into the ocean and then a tsunami taking out Nevada and Utah and sinking Japan. Its all coming together. Since you were in a prayer group I know that you will appreciate this...Rosh Hashanah is on Sept. 28-30, I think that is seen in seal 6 in Revelation...worldwide earthquake...the 144,000 Jews are sealed after that and a large multitude is seen in heaven and the church is not mentioned again throughout Revelation. Here are some charts of eclipses....God is telling us it is time..... www.sonoma.edu...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I have family in Vancouver so i hope all the doomers are wrong. Regardless i have told them to stay alert.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
what freaks me out about this is that I just watched a history channel show the other day about the fault off that area that is capable of a mega quake and that it was over due.

they said seattle would be devestated in such an event because of the poor earthquake proofing. They said one of the only buildings with enough of a rating to take such a quake was the space needle. Strange it was like only 2 days ago that I saw the program didn't even think enough about it to remember the name

any one else see it?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I am no expert on earthquakes, but that doesn't mean I can't offer suggestions on what is happening (or perhaps that is the exact reason why I feel comfortable doing so)

If there are no aftershocks (I will ignore any reporting to the contrary) and there is no big one following it (ruling out it being a foreshock), it is an isolated earthquake. My instant conclusion is that the cause is not to be found in the tectonic plates.

So the choice is between Elenin and HAARP (did I get that acronym right)? I am leaning towards HAARP

edit on 10-9-2011 by Observor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hey everyone.

This topic is very interesting to me because I live on Northern Vancouver Island and I did feel this slight earthquake today. I just thought I was getting a little dizzy and then everyone around me booked it out of the building haha.

Anyways, the last time we had earthquakes that I could feel was in November 2004. In that instance, we had a slight earthquake that was barely felt and then 4 days later we had another earthquake that was much more strongly felt. The 2nd one in 2004 was pretty darn scary. It felt like thunder coming from underneath me. Anyways, the eerie part about those 2 quakes in 2004 was that they had almost an identical epicentre to each other. The 2nd one in 2004 was felt stronger (at least where I live).

No point in worrying about what I can't control, but it does make me wonder if the Big One really is coming and if this is our warning. I found this thread very interesting, but who really knows. I found the info about foreshocks/aftershocks in the OP interesting. If one does happen, I'll try to write hear ASAP as long as everyone around me is safe/ there is power. Who am I kidding? I'd totally run outside away from my house. Stay safe everyone!

Oh yeah, what's the best things to have for an earthquake kit?

OP, if you're reading this, what type of feeling did you have before the Japan thread? You mentioned that in your opening post. During the Japan earthquake, (middle of the night for me). I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep at all. I turned on my tv to find out that a massive earthquake had just struck. The weird thing is that I never do this ever. I always have a good sleep and I'm don't get frustrated enough to turn on the tv, but for some very odd reason I felt a sent of dread and turned it on. Ok, it could have just been some strange coincidence, but who knows.
edit on 10-9-2011 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

My town even has Tsunami Evacuation Route signs. I walked right by one about 10 mins before the earthquake.

I think the worst part about the Big One is that once it happens, that's not the end of it. We'll have very strong aftershocks for months/years. Richmond is going to be finished when it hits which is a very sad thought. The thing that hurts the most is knowing that St. Pauls Hospital/ a few other older hospitals are pretty much guaranteed to completely crumble. Even under a moderate/strong earthquake they've said St. Pauls hospital will go down. You'd think BC would make some attempt to at least try to earthquake proof a hospital.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

Lean toward HAARP. Yes, now they are telling us that arora borialis(did I spell that right?) lights in the sky are normal every time we see a mega earthquake.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I could be. I live in cali and i'm just waitin for the big one.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

It's my understanding that the deeper the earthquake is, the more time the waves have to spread out. Thus being felt in a much larger area, and shallow earthquakes tend to be felt more violently, but much closer to the epicenter. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know much about earthquakes.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Wow... i have something kind of crazy to add. I'm in Tacoma and almost 2 weeks ago my mother told me about a dream that her friend from church had. I was gonna post about this when she told me about it, but I didn't cuz I didn't believe it and I don't believe in god. It sounds really stupid to me but she said her friend at church 2 weeks ago this Sunday told her that she had a dream the night b4 that a big quake is gonna hit the west coast on Sept 15 and that god showed her this. I was like, yeah right. I told my mom that if the quake happens on the 15th that I'd start going to church with her. Anyways she has been worried about it and too has bought cases of water and extra food to store. I decided to share this cuz this thread made me think about it and the timing so I guess we'll see if it happens.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

Yes, there was a 7.2 centered 40 km away from the 8.8-9.0 about 48 hours ahead of the larger one.

I live in western Montana and am hoping a truly large EQ doesn't hit Cascadia in my life time since I live so close to the Yellowstone Caldera.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwell

Lets look at the facts: There have been mega earthquakes going around the ring of fire 188 days apart. Chile 2-27-10, New Zealand 9-4-10, Japan 3-3-11. Spaced evenly apart...that would mark central california as a target on September 15, 2011. I think it will be much worse than a 9.0, I'm thinking 10+. Then lets look how Japan has had liquefaction happening since the earthquake...you can find the videos on youtube...it's floating. Then look at the U.S Navy map of the future. California, Nevada, and Utah are gone. Then there was this guy in 1937 name Joe Brandt that had a dream/vision of California falling into the ocean and then a tsunami taking out Nevada and Utah and sinking Japan. Its all coming together. Since you were in a prayer group I know that you will appreciate this...Rosh Hashanah is on Sept. 28-30, I think that is seen in seal 6 in Revelation...worldwide earthquake...the 144,000 Jews are sealed after that and a large multitude is seen in heaven and the church is not mentioned again throughout Revelation. Here are some charts of eclipses....God is telling us it is time..... www.sonoma.edu...

A 10+ on the Richter scale... So an earthquake more than 10 times as powerful than the one in Japan, the likes of which have never been seen before, or even known to exist, based on a map of the future and a dream? And a dream from from nearly 80 years ago at that! It's amazing the things people dig up to use as "evidence" to support their off the wall theories.

Sorry, but it's not 'all coming together'. Some of the mountain ranges in Utah are over 10,000 feet above sea level. How is a tsunami, or even an earthquake for that matter, going to somehow take out a whole state that's completely landlocked, and thousands of feet above sea level? Any changes to the continents are going to happen the same way they always have; slowly over a period of millions of years.

Are you going to give up on this theory after Sept. 30th when nothing happens, or are you just going to shift the dates and find a new reason why God's telling us "it's time"?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Was this it? Here is pt 5 where they talk about and recreate what would happen in Seattle and Vancouver if a big quake happens. You can see the other parts on youtube. If you live there, be warned this is scary. But people do need to know.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

CL...as I know you from your posts as a rational well educated person, I have to say you are scaring the hell out of me. You usually know your stuff. I have many friends on the west coast. Stick around on this thread ok?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Hi West,

thanks for this thread. As I'm pressed for time this morning I have not read every word of every post in this thread, so forgive me if I repeat anything. However, I'd like to begin by stating something for members who might think you're simply scare-mongering: Westcoast is very diligent in observing and detailing seismic events, especially within her own region of the PNW. She has hundreds of posts on the subject that include scientific reports, seismic maps and a wealth of data and is very well-informed. She is not given to making serious statements such as "be prepared" without good cause.

Now, back to the case at hand. Though not unprecendented in respect of larger quakes in the PNW region, the lack of aftershocks in this is a worry. Put it this way: typically, one would expect aftershocks after a quake of this size at such a relatively shallow depth. (Conversely, it's not uncommon for very deep quakes to not have aftershocks.) The fact that there have been no aftershocks suggests that this seismic event resulted from a section of subducted plate becoming "unstuck" -- allowing it to lurch along for a few seconds, if you will -- but then it appears to have become stuck again. Very solidly. As the depth of the hypocenter relates quite closely to the depth of that section of the affected plate, it's a reasonable hypothesis that this is what happened.

A quake of magnitude 9 (Mw) or greater is not only possible in this region, such events have happened before, and yes -- the previous ones have been seismically virtually identical in character to the horrendous quake that Japan suffered just six months ago.

I would add that in the event of such a huge sub-sea quake off the PNW coast, the subsequent tsunami would not only inundate nearby coastal regions, but could also cause problems much further down the US coast, even in the region of SoCal where two nuclear power plants are located right by the sea. Such an event would also very likely create a tsunami that would reach Japan, as happened after the event of Jan 26, 1700 -- which is how we know exactly when that monster quake occurred, as the Japanese noted the arrival of several tsunamis from it over a period of some hours and the way they flooded seaside villages.

The chances of such a megathrust event occurring off the PNW coast on any given day are vanishingly small. However, as powerful but shallow quakes along or near a known megathrust boundary can be indicators of such an event (which is why they get called precursors if the event occurs), it would be wise for people in potentially affected regions to do as Westcoast has advised and be prepared. In fact, if you live in this region you should always be prepared.

Let's hope that just as with previous larger events in the same region, in recent years, nothing major happens this time. But if it does, people who have at least basic awareness of what can happen will have a far better chance of survival than those who continue to live in blissful ignorance and simply think that it can't happen to them.

Best regards and praying it stays quiet and peaceful,

Mike

PS: I must be away most of this weekend so if there are any replies to this post I'll respond sometime on Sunday evening my time. Hopefully all will be well.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I live in hurricane country, and was checking out this info the other day, but they have info on earthquake preparedness, as well as other potential disasters. Just good info for EVERYONE to have.
www.fema.gov...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
I have family in Vancouver so i hope all the doomers are wrong. Regardless i have told them to stay alert.

You know...this post pretty much sums up why I started this thread. I don't care if you believe me or think I'm fear mongering. If it informs ONE person who then perhaps will put together that emergency kit they have been meaning to make, and talk about an emergency plan with their family, than it is worth all the time.

I just want people to be aware of the potential danger. Yes, it is always there. When mother nature gives us warning flags, we better darn well pay attention.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join