It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the 6.4 quake (9/9/11) in Vancouver be a foreshock to a mega quake?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Hi there! Always great to see a 'local'.

Thank you for summing it up...you are exactly right. I am trying to pull away from spending too much time 'looking' these past couple of days. I can't help but be reminded of feeling the same way the day or two before the Japan quake.

Sometimes it is a fine balance between awareness and worried, or overly anxious....but yes, we need to listen to our intuition. I would love for nothing more than everything to go to a normal 'background noise'.
All these odd quakes around the states to stop, the off-shore quakes, early ETS and California.

I would have felt better if a few good 4-5 range quakes occured and numerous 2-3's. According to the Canadian site, there has only been one in the 4 range and 6 in the 3 range.

Then again, as others have explained previously, all quakes behave differently based on where they occur. Still hoping this is it...give it a few more days, then I will relax.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

that would be the 3.0 at 10:52:19
I'm sure by now, like me, that you can recognise what a 3 looks like from those graphs, theres 2 on the 10th (day 253) and one on the 12th (day 254) so I won't bother with tagging any more graphs.
I would say they all look the same signature becasue they are at about the same distance and depths and not more than 25km apart at the site.

I did this cross section of the events

same colours as magnitude circles on the map (numbers are day 1 day 2 etc)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Thank you Muzzy!!! I LOVE those maps...help really put it into perspective, especially the creep.

I've been watching the nearest station in GEE and saw a marked increase in small quakes since the 6.1 in Alaksa.

I was about to post that, when a larger one just hit. Hard to tell....but at least a 3.0 I believe.

ETA: You know what??? It is really, really close to this station...I think it is going to be in puget sound, or very near to me vs. off vancouver.
edit on 14-9-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ok, this might be a bit out there, but I'll post it anyways.

Before the earthquake in Japan, there were a lot of dead fish in California. This article says that these fish deaths could have predicted the Japan earthquake. (article here: www.globalpost.com... )

Now, millions of fish just died in Japan. Could this be foreshadowing an earthquake in the Northwest? (article: www.whatsonxiamen.com... )

___
What does everyone think about animals ability to sense earthquakes? Any recent info?
edit on 14-9-2011 by phoenixlights321 because: typo

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

I definately believe in the correlation to the cali fish die-off and other, numerous reports of animal deaths/whale beachings prior to big quakes.

This article though is in reference to a river in china....so I don't think it possible for it to be related, IMO. I would be looking in the oceans...or local rivers/lakes.

Thank you for the reminder though. I honestly hadn't checked locally for anything like that!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

heh, whoops. I got mixed up when i was reading those articles.

4.1 aftershock in pretty much the same area as the 6.3 occurred south of port alice early this morning.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
Using the "188 day cycle" theory, we SHOULD be next on the list for a big quake, on or around September 15th.

I don't believe it has anything to do with a comet or anything from space, but perhaps some internal motion under the Pacific Rim and adjoining plates.

The cycle:

February 27th, 2010 - Chile - 8.8

+188 days

September 3rd(4th in NZ), 2010 - NZ - 7.1 on an 'unknown fault', first in 50 years.

+188 days

March 11th, 2011 - Japan - 9.0

+188 days

Sept 15th, 2011.

If you take a look at a map, you'll see that these sizable quakes have been making their way around the PAC RIM in a clockwise motion. If this theory holds any weight, Alaska/B.C/Wash/Cali could be next in line in four days.

The cycle seems to have started with the Chile quake, so if a large quake (6.5+) hits the Western seaboard on the 15th and confirms this theory, then something must have happened to the Earth back in 2009-2010 in order to get this cycle started.

This is looking at it from a completely natural standpoint though, not trying to speculate that these are man-made at all. Nature has cycles too!

Quoting myself here, I'm about ready to call the cycle theory busted. I figure a +-1 day is fair, so we'll be able to call it bunk by the end of tomorrow, but as it stands now we're looking alright.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I cant remember which thread I saw it in, but someone had mentioned hiding in doorways during a quake. Here is a link to a theory called the "triangle of life," which may provide some insight into what to do during a quake. I hope it helps. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tankerpilot
I cant remember which thread I saw it in, but someone had mentioned hiding in doorways during a quake. Here is a link to a theory called the "triangle of life," which may provide some insight into what to do during a quake. I hope it helps. en.wikipedia.org...

I realize you're trying to help, but actually the "triangle of life" is a bit of an "urban legend" and does not hold water.

Q: What is the "Triangle of Life" and is it legitimate?

A: The "Triangle of Life" is a misguided idea about the best location a person should try to occupy during an earthquake. It is listed in the Urban Legends category on the Snopes Urban Legends Reference website.

Drop, cover, and hold under a table or desk is still the best recommendation, according to the American Red Cross.

Source - USGS - Earthquake Myths

The American Red Cross also has a very detailed response to the "triangle of life" claim. They are very much against it.

American Red Cross Response To Triangle Of Life

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hi, I've just found this site, and this is my first post. I've lived in the N of Seattle for all my life within a circle of about 5-miles. While I have traveled a good amount, I've only lived in 3 houses.

As for the Sept. earthquake just W of Vancouver Island, I had been watching a map of my location here;
www.pnsn.org...

From time to time I just go look, and I had observed a swarm of small quakes in my neighborhood at the N end of Lake Washington. If I remember correctly it was about 20-30 and I didn't count them. They happened in a 24 hour period, and were all below the 2 on the scale.

About a week later I saw 3 days worth of swarm-quakes concentrating around Victoria on Vancouver Island, and thought maybe something was up. Well about 3 days later was the Vancouver quake.

It would be nice if we could get maps of those swarms, as they really are worth a bunch of words.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JackPutter

Welcome!! Always great to have another 'local' posting here.

I went and looked through my 'What's really happening in Washingon state' thread (link in my signature) and the only reference I found to the week prior to the Vancouver quake was the swarm over in near Richland.

PNSN is currently making some upgrades to their website, perhaps one of them will be a searchable database!! (wouldn't that be great?!) Also, I just want to make sure you weren't looking at a deep tremor map vs a quake map? That can be very confusing if you haven't read up on what they are, although I think they correspond with quakes, IMO.

Good to have you!

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join