It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the 6.4 quake (9/9/11) in Vancouver be a foreshock to a mega quake?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
WC

I have seen dark streaks in the sky come from airplanes. The most recent was two weeks ago (the last time we had clouds), I was driving to the Seattle VA, and I passed Boeing Field. A Boeing plane was flying low (not landing and not fuel dumping) and it made the dark lines below the clouds..
When I lived in Kent, I'd see them running south to north out of my east facing kitchen window. (Seatac is west of us)
I started to notice the lines about a 1 1/2 years ago. I thought they changed the chem-trail formula, because these lines appeared when the chem-trails disappeared, I saw them come out of airplanes, and they streaked the sky for a good portion of the day..

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

SK,

That is not terribly abnormal for the West Coast. On the USGS US page, there are usually between 700 and 1000 quakes shown in the past week. It varys up and down quite a bit. Just a busier than normal week is all

Danno

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

The pic of the seismo readings...those are small earthquakes? I was just checking out the ones near my Mother's house in Louisiana...and they were like that....Pineville Louisiana and Goldonna Louisiana....but I thought we never had earthquakes here?? The readings from her area had those small spikes, followed by the one tall thick spike, followed by a thick line of small spikes.Maybe we DO have tiny EQ's all the time, and don't realise it because they are so small?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Well, there lies the problem in watching seismos and not having formal training. I have this issue ALL the time, hence my harrassment of Puterman.
There are several things that can cause activity on the seismographs other than earthquakes. Part if the battle is being familiar with the station and knowing what its normal background noise and interference is. Then...you have to look at how intense those 'spikes' are....hrtz, etc. Good chance it may be electrical...or it could be quakes. This is why I posted that one screen-shot. I watch that station often, (and others near it) I have seen this on a few other occasions. I've gotten it to correlate with some other stations too....so I know it isnt just local interference. When I caught it at the same time as what I consider an anomally in the atmosphere above it...well, i think it is most interesting.

On that note, I want to thank everyone for the input. I knew it would be hard to convey to true nature of what I saw, even with pictures. I honestly believe that these streaks were in NO way: clouds, shadows, jet streams

The ONLY thing in the entire sky was some smoke low on the horizon. Yes, I realize the rays from the setting sun could cast shadows through the smoke. I have seen that before and even taken pictures (make for a dramatic scene
) This is NOT what this was. That's why I stayed outside and kept taking pictures even as it got dark. The lines did NOT change as the sun disappeared. Even when I first started, the sun was too low on the horizon to be casting shadows at that height/angle. Even if it were....they are going in the wrong direction. I was looking almost due West....if it had been shadow from the setting sun, those streaks would have gone almost directly over me or even at an angle to the North. They were angled to the south. AND.....they would have changed/faded as the sun set. They did not.

It was NOT clouds. Cloudless day...as it was the day before and as it is today. I mean not a single puff in the sky. Not even any jet streams that I have seen which is very, very unusuall. We have jets going over all the time and usually have quite a bit of streams at any given time. Must have something to do with the moisture content or something??? I dunno...but these had nothing to do with planes.

So to try and show you a little better.....here is one of the first pictues I took. This was a practice shot to see what i need to do witht he settings. SO...it was on full automatic with the flash. Caused things to be much brighter than they really were and washed out the color in the sky. BUT...it gives you a better idea of what the sky looked like otherwise. You can see the smoke settled low on the horizon to the left. That hill in the background is a small one and the only earthen structure between me and the ocean several miles due West. The streaks are much further away and higher than it. You can see them slightly in this pic...gives you a poin of reference to how high it is in relation to where I am standing:

This next one is full-size image of one of the previous ones. It is undoctored. I just want you have access to the full image if you are interested...and so you can see how dark these lines are in an almost dark sky. The sun was close to being set at this point. Again...the streaks did not move or change in color the whole time. Even as I walked home in close to total darknes...I could still see the lines (thanks to the very full moon). They had nothing to do with the sun...but were only illuminated by it and the sunset. (IMO)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I was reading that deep quakes, such as the one in Vancouver on Friday (23 miles deep) have very few after shocks and release much more pressure than shallow quakes.

geology.about.com...

Deep Earthquake Details

There are a few more significant clues about deep-focus events. One is that the ruptures proceed very slowly, less than half the speed of shallow ruptures, and they seem to consist of patches or closely spaced subevents. Another is that they have few aftershocks, only one-tenth as many as shallow quakes do. And they relieve more stress; that is, the stress drop is generally much larger for deep than shallow events.

The streaks in the sky could have been from the 3 large CME's we had hit the earth this week.
spaceweather.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
So in doing some searching, I found this:

Yesterday as the sun was setting I saw a phenomena I've never seen before. The sky was clear and on the horizon I could see a fog bank. Nothing unusual about that. What was unusual was the blue streak that extended from the horizon line out into the heavens, like a huge spot light, but rather than light it looked like a shadow... I pointed it out to a couple of people and everyone who saw it had never seen a site like it before. It was there for a pretty long time. I told a friend of mine about it later and when she drove to the spot where I had seen it, she told me it was still there even in the dark.

I've tried looking up the phenomena on the web, but haven't found anything that satisfies my curiosity, so I was hoping someone here might help.

I've experienced my share of strange phenomena, but to see something unusual in the sky is beyond words. Thanks for the head's up.

JJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian LoweNovember 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think what you saw was a bolide meteorite and ionization trail.

Ionization trails, During the entry of a meteoroid or asteroid into the upper atmosphere , an ionization trail is created, where the molecules in the upper atmosphere are ionized by the passage of the meteor. Such ionization trails can last up to 45 minutes at a time. Small, sand grain sized meteoroids are entering the atmosphere constantly, essentially every few seconds in a given region, and thus ionization trails can be found in the upper atmosphere more or less continuously. When radio waves are bounced off these trails, it is called meteor burst communications.

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy JachymNovember 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Well, there you go. Thanks for the explanation Brian.

source

Certainly sounds like what I saw....and correlates to my thoughts that it was something in the upper atmosphere. Problem is, as you can see, this wasn't just one streak....but several. I wasn't able to get them all in the shot either, due to my telephoto lense and the darkness. I could only capture the ones closest to the rapidly setting sun because of the fading light. I could still see them with the naked eye, but not get them on film.

So what stands out to me here is :an ionization trail

What else might cause this other than a meteor??

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
OH MY GOSH you guys. I have goosebumps.

So I put these two searches together (ionization upper atmosphere earthquakes) and this was the FIRST thing I saw. I simply am a bit awed.

The giant earthquake that struck Japan this year not only shook the Earth, but also rattled the highest layer of the atmosphere, scientists find.

This research could lead to a new type of early warning system for devastating tsunamis and earthquakes.

Investigators measured these disruptions, called seismotraveling ionospheric disturbances, using about 1,000 global positioning system (GPS) receivers in Japan and Taiwan. Disruptions of the electrically charged particles in the ionosphere would lead to anomalies in radio signals between the ground receivers and the GPS satellites, data that scientists can measure.

Scientists detected a disc-shaped rise in electron density in the ionosphere about seven minutes after the earthquake. Concentric waves of fluctuating electron density then flowed out in the ionosphere from this disk at speeds of about 450 to 500 mph (720 to 800 kph). All in all, this disruption was about three times greater than the next largest one ever seen, which came after the 2004 magnitude 9.3 Sumatra earthquake.

One important question in determining how much of a warning his phenomenon might provide is: “Is there any detectable precursor in the status of the ionosphere before this disturbance is actually observed?” said atmospheric physicist Gaopeng Lu at Duke University, who did not take part in this study. “In that way, we might be able to predict the occurrence of earthquakes.”

source

Seriously....I think I may just start that new thread.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Interesting! I had to laugh about you harrassing Puterman....now I'm doing that to you
All that sounds complicated, but I'll learn. About your pics....you mentioned there were no clouds, then out of nowhere came the lines.....did you watch the video I posted a couple of hours ago? Girl, that is the same thing that happened the day I took that video. It was clear (like you said, not even a puff) The sky got very hazy....and then the "angle cloud"....it was like someone took a giant pair of scissors and cut a peice of the cloud out. There were those jets playing tic tac toe in the sky (if u know what I mean) about 30 minutes before. Don't know if it's that or natural, but I just wanted to show it too you.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I continue to find stuff:

And now, let's go to our mechanism. If radon is going up, because radon is radioactive, it emits alpha particles of high energy, which produce ionization; then, we know this mechanism of condensation of water vapor on ions, and heat release. If you put an infrared sensor on a satellite, you will be able to detect the difference in the temperatures on the ground's surface, and you can see the structures of the active tectonic faults in India, before the Gujarat earthquake (Figure 26). The faults existed all along, but these faults were now activated. In the map on the upper left, you can see the red lines which follow this system of the tectonic faults. This is data from the Terra/Aqua satellite with the MODIS device, showing the infrared emission which demonstrates the heating of the area exactly in the place of the active tectonic faults.

So, what are the consequences of these processes? If you have condensation of the water vapor, you should have less free water vapor in the atmosphere, and you should observe diminishing relative humidity (Figure 27). Graph (a) shows the drop of the relative humidity in Islamabad, before the 2005 Kashmir earthquake. Graph (b) shows the satellite measurements of the surface temperature increase in the same area. There are some techniques that permit us to measure the anomalous fluxes of latent heat, and in the bottom row, graph (c) shows that. It's the same area of Pakistan. Graph (d) shows the so-called "outgoing long-wave radiation" (OLR); it's also infrared emission, but it is measured at the altitude of the top of atmosphere, or in the tropopause, between 10 and 15 km up, and you see the red spot close to the epicenter of the impending earthquake. And graph (e) shows the developing anomaly of electron concentration within the ionosphere.

So you have a lot of parameters, a lot of anomalies in the atmosphere, which could be measured; and all of them appear in the same place, almost at the same time, between two weeks and a few days before the impending earthquake.

link to paper

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Ahem....WOW. I got goosebumps too....too much of a coincidence... I hope that's all it is

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Right. My question now is: If In fact what I saw was an ionization of the upper atmosphere, (which would certainly explain the correlation on the seismograph, right Puterman?????
) Then what caused it?

Solar flares? (It was not the auroras though and had no ripple affect...leading me to think it is more condensed?)

Result from the 6.4 quake???

Pre-curser to another, larger quake??

Some other anomally?

ETA: I am goint to go for a walk right now and see if its still there in the daylight.
edit on 11-9-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

of course..

September 9, 2011 – 09/09/11 – 6.7 mag EQ – Vancouver Island Israel Embassy Wall In Cairo Torn Down Israel Embassy Wall In Cairo Being Torn Down By Protestors @ this very moment, 1:45 PM Pacific Time, September 9, 2011 At the very same moment Vancouver Island just experienced a 6.7 Mag EQ./downgraded to a 6.4, of which the writer felt the buildings shake for approximately 10 seconds. 6.4=64 = 8×8 the FLOOD! Today’s date is 9/9/11 – an obvious bit of 9-11 celebration going on, as the Lion King, Lincoln, the Sphinx of Egypt, moves the sacrifice into the Temple Mount – The 11 WESTERN STATES – through the LIONS GATE at the Vancouver / Vancouver Island region, and the LIONS PEAKS symbolized by the LIONS GATE BRIDGE.

The west coast of North America is the EASTERN WALL OF OLD JERUSALEM, as it is, that the Pacific Ocean is the Old City of Jerusalem. The Lions Gate is just to the north of The GOLDEN GATE on the Eastern Wall, and in like manner, the Lions Gate Bridge is just to the north of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. What just occurred in Cairo Egypt with the ISRAELI EMBASSY WALL WAS BEING TORN DOWN, directly relates to the earthquake which just occurred on Vancouver Island, the WALL OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN BEING CHIPPED AWAY AT, to allow the sacrifice to enter OREGON, (the WTC North Tower) and ARIZONA, (the WTC South Tower), through the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE of San Francisco, at some time in the illusory future. == PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT == Region: VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION Geographic coordinates: 49.474N, 126.974W Magnitude: 6.4 Mw Depth: 23 km Universal Time (UTC): 9 Sep 2011 19:41:35

Time near the Epicenter: 9 Sep 2011 12:41:35 Local standard time in your area: 9 Sep 2011 11:41:35 Location with respect to nearby cities: 138 km (86 miles) WSW (246 degrees) of Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada 140 km (87 miles) SSE (164 degrees) of Port Hardy, BC, Canada 212 km (132 miles) NW (306 degrees) of Neah Bay, WA 279 km (173 miles) W (276 degrees) of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada —————————-

The coordinates suggest the number 7, perfection and completion, as well as 11, Death, and 5, Sacrifice. 49.47N / 126.97 = 49N / 127W 49 = 7×7 suggesting the WASHING-STONE and 127 = 7 on the 11th clockface = 7×1= 77 WASHING-STONE DC (or DE, THE SEA). 49 coincides with 1 on the 5th clockface. The Depth of the EQ was 23 km = 11 on the 2nd clockface 11×2 = 22 ELENIN – ELEVEN-NIVE 9-11 Suggestion Ele-Nin Come-t is suggesting 9-11 all over the place! Suggesting in true hypnotic fashion on this 9/9/11 day, that the T (SACRIFICE) must COME!

Elenin was suggested to reach its closest encounter with the sun (perihelion) around September 11, and here we go, getting shaken by a decent size earthquake at exactly the same latitude as the Lions Peaks, where there were just recently occurring, to smaller quakes, on the same day as the Final Destination 5 movie was being released. In that movie, the LIONS GATE BRIDGE was seen collapsing.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A small one smack dab on a fault in between me and the larger quake.....

USGS MAP

I can't see anything bright enough to tell for sure against this bright blue sky....I will be out there for sure tonight though. It is getting quite smokey...should be an even more spectacular sunset tonight!!

I will start a thread later on all this, I think. But for now...gotta get back to life and a break from this computer. Time for a nice bike ride and soak in the hot tub!!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Using the "188 day cycle" theory, we SHOULD be next on the list for a big quake, on or around September 15th.

I don't believe it has anything to do with a comet or anything from space, but perhaps some internal motion under the Pacific Rim and adjoining plates.

The cycle:

February 27th, 2010 - Chile - 8.8

+188 days

September 3rd(4th in NZ), 2010 - NZ - 7.1 on an 'unknown fault', first in 50 years.

+188 days

March 11th, 2011 - Japan - 9.0

+188 days

Sept 15th, 2011.

If you take a look at a map, you'll see that these sizable quakes have been making their way around the PAC RIM in a clockwise motion. If this theory holds any weight, Alaska/B.C/Wash/Cali could be next in line in four days.

The cycle seems to have started with the Chile quake, so if a large quake (6.5+) hits the Western seaboard on the 15th and confirms this theory, then something must have happened to the Earth back in 2009-2010 in order to get this cycle started.

This is looking at it from a completely natural standpoint though, not trying to speculate that these are man-made at all. Nature has cycles too!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MRedfield

wow. i will be extra cautious the next few days. Thanks for the information. Who knows? Just time to be prepared at least with food/water. I live on northern vancouver island so any info is always appreciated.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Alright. I have debated this for awhile....can't seem to stay away for long. After spending some time in my favorite think tank (hot tub), I have decided that I need to treat this as if I'm right.

I may not be. I am not claiming to be correct....but the 'what if' is really weighing on me, so i went ahead and followed through with using the information as if it were, in fact, a pre-curser to a pending large quake.

make of this what you want. If nothing else, consider it an experiment...and not even mine. This is not a theory, it is based on research already done by some people much smarter than myself.

So here we go. let's say that what I saw last night WAS ionization in the upper atmosphere, caused not by solar flare but by the release of radon and whatever else goes on in the earth prior to that massive amount of energy making it all the way to the surface. Assuming that, we could then conclude that it is there as a result of the 6.4 two days ago....or is a pre-curser to another, larger quake.

Let's assume that it is a precurser. What to do with the info? According to the info, it radiates out from the epicenter of the quake. Makes sense. SO...based on my location and landmarks in the pictures, the location of the abnormalities in the sky; I made a map.

It is self-explanatory:

This is not a prediction. I have no idea if I'm right about what i saw...and even then, what it really might mean. This is just one possibility...but on the VERY off chance that it's right....I just have to go with it. Reason being...awareness. Please. Anyone living in this area, be aware and pay attention. To the sky, yourself, animals, nature. Let's continue to watch the seismographs.

Anyone with the knowledge and ability to monitor the atmosphere above this area....please chime in. I would love to see what the ionosphere is doing over here right now.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Take a look at this thread on ATS.... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Very eerie. I'm gonna walk around with a helmet for the next week'ish since i live on northern vancouver island.
Thanks for all of your info on this thread.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
WC, here's a system called GIRO (Global Ionospheric Radio Observatory). I'm just going through it, but thought I'd post anyway. Informative and looks like it might be helpful to some extent: GIRO

I hope folks get that there's a growing consensus in science suggesting evidence that earthquake prediction is possible, but it's not developed or organized fully yet. Here's the accompanying vid from one of your excellent sources, Prof. Pulinets, lecturing on "Is Earthquake Prediction Foreseeable?"

Pulinet's colleague, Dimitar Ouzounov, has worked on a project for NASA called "Thermal Response before the Strong Earthquakes by Analyzing Multisensor Satellite Data." His name is on THIS list. Thought it might be useful for future research to have a link to all the Earth Observing Systems Projects in NASA.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kubacs

One can indeed say a fault has activated because of these readings (IR and electro-magnetic - radon I have my doubts about) and this has been known for some time. Remember the ATS member Roald? Does not seem to have been around for a while but he was involved in this I believe. There are others on ATS who have knowledge of this as well, apart from which it is sort of obvious if you think about it. The trick was / is having the right detectors in the right place and up in the inner space envelope is the best place. This will progress that is for sure. They will also make mistakes, that is for sure.

One thing you can also be VERY sure of is that if they have the technology they will NOT put it on a web site for all the doomsday kooks in the world to misinterpret and run round saying there is about to be a mag 10 in NY / Tokyo / Cascadia / SF / New Madrid / Chile / Indonesia etc etc. No, not no way Jose.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join