It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Death: 8 Burial Alternatives That Are Going Mainstream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b12f7cfe4d3a.jpg[/atsimg]

The ancient world is full of examples of burial customs that seem strange now, from Egyptian mummification to bodies dumped in bogs to departed Vikings launched out on ships-turned-crematoriums. But space constraints and environmental concerns are pushing modern man to explore new options for dealing with the dead.

The most recent of these to land on American shores is a process that uses heat, pressure and chemicals to liquefy a body in just a few hours, leaving behind sterile remains that can be poured into the wastewater system.

But unusual customs, from launching cremated remains into space to old-fashioned burials in hand-dug graves, are a growing trend. Here are some of the newest choices (not all eco-friendly) for the end of life.

[snipped]

So, There seems to be many different ways of burying our loved ones and eventually ourselves. Some seem to be 'out there' but there are a couple I would consider personally.

I would love to be put out in space, to me that would be the most amazing burial. I would also consider cryogenics as maybe perhaps in the future I could be unthawed and brought back to life once the fountain of youth is discovered.

I don't think mummification is for me. I would prefer not to be wrapped in toilet paper for a couple thousand of years.

I am interested to hear others opinions so I thought I would bring it here and see what other people would a viable option.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on Fri Sep 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Honest to God...I want my full body shot out into space to drift among the stars for the rest of eternity. Just a dead body, floating along. That'd be sweet.

Since I'm not going to see that one realized, I'd rather have my body donated to science. Let med students cut it up for practice. It's just a dead body. I'll have no more use for it anymore, so it could rot in a forest for all I care.

I just don't want it to cost those I leave behind a ton of money to dispose of the body. I'd rather they use the money to have a rockin' party.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
My goodness, what a gruesome, gory yet completely fascinating thread. Dont some people get turned into diamond rings?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There is a process that can turn your dead body into a diamond to be worn.

There was actually a Judge Judy like tv court case (cant remember the actual show) where some lady tried to sue the maker because she thought that her diamond wasnt made from her husband.

obv she couldnt prove this and lost her case but it was pretty funny

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

my thoughts precisely...splendidly ghoulish.

i like the thought of 'cremains' being made into a firework display...nothing quite like going out with a bang ;>

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by auraura

Kinda like Hunter S Thompson

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by readytorevolt

Interesting considering what earth is becoming. I think we should strive for the natural way.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I like the natural burial. Return directly into the earth: Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Interesting OP!

Oh, yeah, remains turned into gems/diamonds was offered at one time I believe?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I have an uncle who's ashes are floating around in space somewhere.

My sister chose an option called "The Neptune Society," where her ashes are dumped somewhere in the San Fransisco bay.

Both of those seem outrageously expensive to me, so, for all I care, somebody can stick me in a cardboard box out in the shed. I won't be there anymore anyway.

Really, why can't we just stick somebody in the ground in a lawn and leaf bag for pennies, because even the natural burial has to have a ridiculous price for the shroud they dump you in the ground with.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The subject seems gruesome to Westerners (generally) because we are very attached to our physical bodies and therefore don't deal well with death as part of life. Personally, it's a fascinating topic. The idea of having continuity of consciousness as and when we leave our body especially appeals to me.

Both my parents opted for cremation (with no fancy urn, funeral service, no obituary), and the cost was $1200. I have a living will that gives useable body parts to science and then cremates the rest.

I wasn't aware of resomation or eternal reefs, and the idea of my body being freeze-dried strikes me as funny and therefore appealing as an option. People who love me and my sense of humor would have to at least chuckle even while grieving after I die!

Thanks for posting this, predator.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Ive discussed with my family that all the bits and pieces (apart from my eyes) that are of use to someone should be taken out and utilised. Hopefully someone can get better use of them than me. Then its off to anywhere that'll take my body either for research or for uni students to cut up and learn from. If theres anything not wanted its to be cremated and I would then like for my ashes to be scattered on the Isle of Skye.

Given that burial space is diminishing rapidly here, being buried isn't really a great option plus its cheaper for a cremation. If I was to change my mind and was able to be buried the natural burial is probably what I would choose. The idea of going straight back into the earth is not exactly comforting but seems the most organic. The space option sounds pretty cool I have to admit; floating amongst the stars and the matter that made us is pretty mind blowing.

Death in itself doesnt scare me, but I dont want to die; if i could find a way to live until ive done everything that I could possibly wish to do then I'd happily give up.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Nice post.
just dump my body in the sea.
if they are to poor for burial.
then turn there bodies in to food.

I would never let them use me to experiment on.
what is some one gave life to your brain again?
I bet that would Hurt a lot.
edit on 9-9-2011 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Screw Eco friendly burials. Growing up close to poor I lived Eco friendly by necessity, reusing everything and wearing hand me downs and donations from neighbors. So I want an elaborate marble and granite tomb and loads of Anubis statues, a fountain, and a soft serve ice cream machine. And pink unicorns frolicking in the antechamber. That's all.

Seriously I just want a plain burial on a nice lot with the cremains of two of my most beloved pets set to rest in the casket with me. I don't want to be embalmed but it may be required by law here for burials, I'm not sure. I sure as heck do not want to be donated for lab experiments. I didn't like lab much when I was in school!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I know how I want to go. Like a Viking.

I want to be placed in a wooden boat and cast off into the lake. I then want some process, flaming arrows shot from shore perhaps to light me, the boat and all on fire till it's no more. Certain people, friends or family members will get the honor of shooting the arrows designated before hand by me. Next, I want a serious party to ensue complete with good 80's music including lots of 80's heavy metal.

I have talked about this at length to my family. They KNOW this is my wishes. problem is I live in the USA and I don't think we can find anyplace that would let us do that. I'm going to have to plan for this very carefully if I'm gonna pull this off.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I personally take great satisfaction and pleasure when serving a meal I have cooked for family and friends.

It would be an honour perhaps to have my body cooked and served for hungry people somewhere.

I think a trend could be set, donating your body as a feast for starving humans?

Think about it folks, saving lives by allowing others to eat you after death.

The ultimate Christian act?

Great thread OP star and flag.
edit on 10-9-2011 by Dr Expired because: sand f

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I'm a full donor so I just want what's left over to be cremated and have my ashes scattered in the sea.
I haven't planned everything out yet but I want everything to be plain and simple. Maybe a drink and some snacks afterwards so people can all say what a great person I was.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
my sister insisted on everyone having all their paperwork done.
so i gave her the right to pull the plug, should i end up in the hospital.
made her my beneficiary, and told her to give me the cheapest going away possible at the time of death.
i want to be cremated, so no one digs me up because they have the right to know bs.
no obituary, wake, service.
i said if her and a few friends wanted to get together when getting rid of ashes, fine, nothing else.

spend the money on the living, once dead, i will no longer need anything, to me that's obvious.
edit on 10-9-2011 by citizen6511 because: spell chk

edit on 10-9-2011 by citizen6511 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by iNkGeEk
I just don't want it to cost those I leave behind a ton of money to dispose of the body. I'd rather they use the money to have a rockin' party.

The problem is, when they have finished with you ( and it could be years later ) they contact the family and ask them to collect your remains for disposal. I have undertakers and medics in my family, so I know it happens !

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Great replies!!

I love the idea of being set afloat in a casket and being shot with flaming arrows, that to me is one of the best burials/funerals I could think of.

I, as a westerner, do not think of death as morbid, I think of peace and serenity.

I hate the idea of a funeral though, I like that my family and friends would get together and celebrate my life. Enjoy themselves for me.

Pred...

top topics

join