It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindle, for Survival?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I've heard the gold and silver argument, but frankly, I don't see anyone trading food, weapons, medicine, ammo, etc. for gold or silver in a SHTF scenario.

Gold and silver only have value if everyone SAYS they have value. Otherwise, they are fairly useless metals in such a scenario. Since there is no collective "someone" yet to decide value, it will all be bartering what people need.

As one said (and I think this is a great point), sharing information is something you can barter with, and yet still keep. How cool is that? Letting someone upload a file into their device costs you nothing, yet could net you some gear.

*Imagines a librarian, backed with bodyguards, making a killing in a SHTF world, by selling information*.....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The fact remains we do not know what is going to happen, so having in our possession a well equipped library is essential. For all we know, tomorrow an asteroid will wipe us out, or not. Maybe nothing will happen at all and mankind will never come close to extermination.

I prefer to spend a small amount on hardware which improves my chances of survival in a variety of circumstances instead on counting on certain events to happen. Probably more pertinent than dust blocking out the sun would be the use of nuclear weapons or dirty bombs.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

Mz Fox? I have to agree with you!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Short of an EM pulse (about as likely as nuclear war at this point- not one wants to be bombed back to the industrial age), there are ways to get around a 6mth-5year disruption in power. In the past few years, manufacturers have made reliable solar powered chargers- including a backpace verison (Blue Solar Backpack and Cell Phone Charger. 3 watt Solar Power, 3, 000mAh Rechargable Battery- $129 on Amazon, and yes you can get them elsewhere if you're worried about Amazon knowing what you are doing).
. If a catastrophie hapens, this would keep a Kindle charged (possibibly a laptop as well). This would give you the knowledge, if not the experience, needed to help keep essential knowlegde alive, and likely yourself and your family as well. I have a Kindle with keyboard, and feel it can be used as Gazrok stated. Furthermore, I want him on my team if worst comes to worst. He is as much or more eggheaded as I am, and not afraid to work- a very nice combo to have when the world goes to hades.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I kind of skimmed through the post, but I just came across this. It's laptop being developed for kids in the third world. But, it would make a great device for any survivalist.

The world's poorest children could soon have a tablet of their very own, thanks to One Laptop Per Child (OLPC), the organisation which aims to bring low-cost computing to the developing world.

The device is designed for outdoor use with a rugged green rubber case and can be powered by a hand-crank, built-in solar panel, or regular power adaptor. Six minutes of cranking should produce two watts of power, allowing the low-energy tablet to run for an hour. Some models will also be equipped with a Pixel Qi screen, which provides a low-power, e-ink style display that can easily be viewed in bright sunlight.

OLPC

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Wow... I like that, as I have those bits for my kindle (hand crank, Solar etc) and it would be great to have them all in one package
thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join