It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindle, for Survival?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by daley2010

That's the setup I have.. I am also working on a USB charger that uses the dynamo on my mountain bike.. (so it can charge all my gadgets if they are not fried) charge and ride
am also thinking of boosting that by adding batteries that fit over a pannier as a back up.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
let me know how you get on with that dynamo cos I'd be interested in one

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by daley2010
let me know how you get on with that dynamo cos I'd be interested in one

Here is one project (well actually an amalgamation of lots) that I have been following.. hope it starts you off in the right direction

Here is my pet project of the last six months: A bicycle-mounted system for generating electricity, storing it, and charging several USB devices, mainly an iPhone and a GPS tracking unit.

Source

I plan to have some batteries slung over the pannier to store the excess and act as a secondary charging unit for the likes of my kindle and back up torches.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ah see I didn't know there was a solar charger. That's would be great as long as there's no ash cloud hanging around for weeks.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Kindles and other such dedicated hardware are BAD.

The reason why, is because every time a new device like that is made, the manufacturer always tries to come up with a proprietary format for the files the device reads, in order to control when and how they can be read. Then once the device becomes obsolete, or you don't have one any more, those files are no longer accessible to anyone.

Get a laptop, or something that can run a plain text editor. We need to start converting a lot of files and books back from pdf and the other binary formats to plain text, as well. If we don't, we're going to end up losing a lot of literature, because different binary formats are associated with a particular device or operating system, and so will become unreadable when that device goes out of use. Plain (ASCII or UTF-8) text is universal, and therefore permanent.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My ereader (I have a Kobo) read basic formats in addition to their own. TXT, RTF etc, personally I convert documents to epub and resized for its screen, takes up a lot less space. 3 hours max to charge from a completely dead battery and lasts around 10k page turns. The firmware is open source as well.

For a survival item, I believe it is very useful. You can keep all those little documents you really never thought you would need and wouldn't be worth printing, easy to charge via solar or whatever means you have and consume very little power.

In a possibly very uncivilised world, sitting down with a good book may well provide some psychological relief as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
That's would be great as long as there's no ash cloud hanging around for weeks.

If that were the case, then I think the fact that your kindle battery crapped out after the first three weeks would be the absolute least of your concerns...

Honestly, I don't see any real downside to bringing it along provided that you don't use it as a crutch for a lack of basic survival knowledge. As a source of non-critical information, I think its just about ideal, and as others have said, having the ability to read a good book might help you maintain your sanity in such times.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by daley2010
reply to post by wutz4tom

As far as Im aware & I aint a scientist or expert but the EMP would only affect it if it was turned on IMHO anyway.

That really depends. Not to take this into a tangent about EMP, but.. It's best to not worry yourself with EMP issues. It's highly theoretical what one can do to protect anything to begin with, and determining who will be affected is dependent on how much buffering you get from your terrain. That said, if you're in the main path, it's going to fry it turned on or turned off.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
An even better idea is to commit the information to memory, and then pass it on to as many people you possibly can. Don't forget practical application as well. All the information in the world is useless if you don't know how to use it.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I have a Kindle and a solar charger with an adapter. It works fine. All my survival and fieldcraft books are stored on it. You need never run out of power on the Kindle.
edit on 12/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I say a definite no to a Kindle or any other e-reader being useful for survival or a SHTF scenario. Not just the fact that it's electronic and will evetually die (solar powered backup or not), but one accidental drop, cracked screen, get water in it...and it's useless, can't even use it for TP or to fuel a fire. Learn as much survival as you can for now, you don't want to have to read a book much less read a Kindle while 'surviving'.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ajax

I am not sure anyone would rely on it for survival, tho it does hold a heck of a lot for the weight
which is always a plus.. I have a little soothing music, a couple of audio books (my partner read one for the kids that I keep on it as it is soo cute) plus some incidental reading material, a couple of comics for the kids and an array of survival books..

I am limited in weight/space as the only real way to bug out from here in a SHTF situation is either on foot or on bike (or swim).. I have chosen the Kindle for my bike bug out pannier as otherwise I'd need a small trailer to carry all the things a kindle provides in a neat package.

If I lose the thing, it gets zapped, it is no hardship, but if not the plus points far outweigh the negatives in my opinion. I guess it's usefulness depends on a lot of factors and as you say, bit silly to only rely on it.. but as an addition, I think it is great..

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by daley2010

A strong enough EMP could fry any electronics, even those that are off.

However, there's no way to plan for EVERY scenario. Who says the given SHTF scenario will involve an EMP? Then of course, there are faraday cages vs. that too...and easily made out of scrap materials.

As for the e-readers or even old handhelds, my suggestion is just that they can be
a) portable
b) hold a LOT of data
c) have ENORMOUS battery life
d) could easily be supplied with enough power

I'd still never recommend it as the ONLY source of info, but in the first few weeks after the SHTF event, it could prove an invaluable tool for information. I'd still have a paperback survival guide with me also....

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Kindle has a solar charger... well a 3rd party charger... Link

Sorry for posting a link to a product for sale but it is on topic.
edit on 12-9-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

It's possible to get solar chargers for the Kindle.

Even if one got 2 Kindles and some backup batteries with a couple or 3 solar chargers . . . it's a pretty tidy package for 3,000+ book capacity.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Another benefit is you can read scavenged memory cards on it.

Just think of the uses.. From all those rather advanced medical manuals with a lot of specific details to a technical manual for a commonly found vehicle which lists compatible parts. All those things you don't think you need, you can store for a later date.

Mankind will bounce back, imho. We know technology is useful, we know how to make it. Mankind will want their tech back, even if it comes back as a trickle, being able to trade electronic manuals and books will certainly be valuable. Costs you nothing to trade, you still have the original and can benefit from it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ajax

It is no replacement for practice. However, I would still say yes to a Kindle, purely for reference. As for damage, that could happen to any piece of equipment. Lose you best knife, and you are still screwed.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Knowledge in a SHTF situation; which seems much more likely now than, say, it did in the 70's.

People (survivalists) claim... It's bullets going to save you... Gold and silver to barter...

It's my opinion that if you have a massive library of accurate resources like medications and their interactions... and how to extract base medicines from plants (virtually every potent medicine is derived from plants.)

Metallurgic best practices, Bullet reloading techniques, US Army Tactical manuals...

Some Dr. Suess books too... There isn't enough room on a forum post to extoll the values of something like a kindle or ebook reader.

If you don't know how to start a freakin camp fire but you have an ebook (waterproofed) with 10 examples and you STILL can't light a fire then you deserve swift death... You get the point.

AND with very small solar panels or modified car alternator it wouldn't be difficult to keep it powered. Extra batteries... etc... If you have a brain, an entire library at your fingertips will not only be a great reference but also provide some entertainment to the young ones on the down/idle times. SHTF Home Schooling for kids.

Remember to get medical texts if you don't have any training... ie. Where There Is No Dentist and Where There Is No Doctor.

In my opinion, I couldn't think of a better, higher priority item than allotting 3-8 lbs in a bug out bag for Kindle and accessories OR something like it. Preferably wrapped in a Faraday Cage.

I can't stress that enough... If your plan, as mine does, includes electronic device(s) reward your ingenuity with a Faraday Cage. If your electronics become toast then your best is to have a Navy Seal background when SHTF.

Alternatives to Kindle/eReader... EEE laptops, full sized laptops, small desktops that can be made portable.
Getting power requirements per device is worth learning the very basic of electronics but it's time well spent.

Always: Don't forget to water proof your device!

Even high humidity can render a device (seemingly) unbootable!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Definitely some good points there.

With most solid state devices with no moving parts, you can open them and squirt copious amounts of calking silicone inside, close it up, leave it for some time to cure. Near perfectly shock and water proof. Add an external case to protect the screen and it'll last you some time. (Leave the internal battery only thinly covered if you can)

I always learn as much as I can, as mentioned the reference is priceless. It can be a very fine line between incapacitation and death when administering drugs. I have the US army's emergency war surgery (in a format which is about as close to walking you through the process as possible), pharmaceutical guides.. even the legend for the hazard placards used on the back of trucks.

As for alternatives, I am very cautious to call them that when compared to e-readers. The power consumption of an e-ink/e-paper screen is miniscule, especially in comparison to a power hungry LCD. If you choose to also go with a laptop or other hardware, make sure you have a fully scalable processor, the lower the cpu can go the better.

A cheap tablet pc, 5" screen, when wifi is off and not doing anything processor intensive gives me up to 5 hours use without a charge, I also have an external battery pack containing 4 AA batteries, chargeable from a variety of sources from 5v-12v and USB. That kinda thing, lets me utilise wifi cameras (If you need to scavenge some, try baby monitors), use a bluetooth headset as a "bug", use mapping software etc.. Priceless in my opinion. I can do without it, but I can also save time by having it.

In a pinch, if you need a faraday cage immediately, unplug your microwave and use that. (Lengths of wire act as conductors, you do not want anything plugged in you wish to save)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Except when there is no sun for a long period with ash covering the skies for up to 5 years. Its happened in the past. You cant count on solar energy. Static-wind up energy perhaps, yes. As in some survival radios.

Yet, I wonder why one would expect to be sitting around reading very much after a SHTF scenario plays out?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join