It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong quake off Vancouver, no damage seen: witness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Bellevue Wa here,

Didn't feel a thing. Although I am too wondering about a possible subduction quake in this area. A couple of weeks ago there was a mag 5+ eq on both ends of the Juan de Fuca plate on the same day. I found that quite odd, and wondered if it was not a portent of things to come.

I have been an avid volcano and earthquake watcher ever since I was a kid and Mt St Helens blew its top early one Sat AM ( May 18th ). From that time, I have studied everything that I can get my hands on when it comes to this stuff. So I am watching daily to see if I can see any trends. Not that I would pick up anything before the USGS does

Edit to add: It has been 2.5 hours since the quake, and no aftershocks. That would be a bit unusual, as you usually see at least one aftershock within the first couple of hours. Maybe a foreshock?

Danno
edit on 9/9/2011 by MoparDanno because: Add info.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MoparDanno

Yeah I'm surprised that there were no aftershocks. I thought they were standard fare with anything over a 5 but I willingly admit I know NOTHING about quakes.

You're in Bellevue AND a Mopar fan! Would love to chat sometime! I'm in Factoria and had a sweet Mopar when I was 17.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Still no aftershocks.....

And yeah, actually Im in Newcastle, but drive through Factoria a couple times a day. If you see a newer Blue Challenger SRT8, thats me

Sorry for the offtopic.

Danno

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Heard this on news. Glad none of our Canadian friends
are not hurt/injured.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Isn't that near the Cascadia fault line? I just watched a show a few nights ago, about Japan, and they said if there is a major quake in the Cascadia fault, the same thing could happen on the west coast (Tsunami etc)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That's kind of deep and that's why you probably didn't feel it....it had some cushion. Stay safe friend....BTW I LOVE your avatar!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yes, that is the Cascadia fault zone. Where the Juan de Fuca plate and the N America plate meet in not so happy harmony

Danno

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Ill look out for it. If you happen across a mid 20 year old with a few tattoos and short haircut pretending to challenge you at a light its me! I'll U2U my cars. Off topic is fun sometimes!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply....that isn't good is it?? Does it cause earthquakes regularly, or is this rare?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, if some of you may recall, the Japanese quakes started north over the years and worked its way south, almost as if it created new pressure points with each quake and was working its way down the fault.

At the same time and I know some of you will roll your eyes about this, but I cant help but wonder if HAARP or any other facility like it is behind this. The quake on the east coast, then one in the NW.. Definitely something to keep our eyes on!

God bless us all in the coast range and I hope every one is ok! I think its time to start adding to the ol survival gear.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

This isn't a terribly active zone. So yes, an eq above 6 is something we see once every 5-10 years. We get lots of small quakes, but nothing thats big. But when we do get a big one, it is supposed to be devastating. So a moderate sized one like this 6.4 ( downgraded I see ) in the "zone" with little to no aftershocks, does cause a little bit of concern. Time will well.

Danno

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The people I know seem to walk on pins and needles after every 'real' quake. I'd class that as 6 +. Not crazy uncommon but not something you see all the time. We've been told to expect 'the big one' for a long time; and we do expect it. While we may not be overdue, we are certainly in the due, or doo.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Posted earlier here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join