It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zapping the brain with magnets makes it IMPOSSIBLE to lie, claim scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Zapping the brain with magnets makes it IMPOSSIBLE to lie, claim scientists

www.dailymail.co.uk

If truth be told, magnetic interference with the brain makes it impossible to lie. At least, that’s what a group of Estonian researchers are claiming.

They found that when magnets were applied to either the right or left side of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, found directly behind your forehead, it made you lie or tell the truth, depending on which side was stimulated.

When magnetic interference was directed at another part of the brain, the parietal lobe, the subjects’ decision-making remain unchanged.

‘Spontaneous choice to lie more or less can be influenced by brain stim
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Should this ever hit the market place I can just imagine the double standards.

We, the minion will be forced to use this (in a trial, on a traffic stop, at the airport, in your marriage vows [just kidding]) but the ones who are really in need of this in order to prove themselves to the people (politicians) will be exempt!

We need to lead by example. And this country fails miserably in that department.

But when the time comes when no one can lie or cheat or steal or murder anymore--- then and only then will we evolve.

But for now we're stuck in this neanderthal existence playing with nuclear weaponry! Can the dichotomy be any scarier?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Trust me, I've had electric shock therapy and I'm still a liar, and a damn good one.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

It doesnt really matter if you can lie or not, there is always a way to evade the truth.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Lets test it out for real and see if the theory holds true.

I know a few places in DC I would like to start out with to see if there is...well...any truth to this.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't believe this for a second until I see the results from a scientific experiment. Quick, someone hook Obama up to it.

"My green jobs plan will...suck. I will do horrible in the 2012 elections."

Looks like it works!
edit on 9-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

I think you are lying.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Or

Handing an Estonian a magnet and telling him it's a "magic anti-lying rock" will keep him from lying.

Stage 2 experiment: Put him in a round room and tell him to go spit in the corner.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I love the 'moral compass' theory! Too bad so many are broken though.

But......doesn't HAARP use some sort of electromagnetic energy that bounces off Earth that, eventually reaches the ionosphere?

So?...what happens while en-route?

What if....it's affecting us and that's why so many are on edge lately?

I know magnets have powerful properties (didn't realize the ramifications on the brain though) but I wonder if HAARP, whether intentional or not, may be affecting all of us on some level.

If a region of our brain reacts to a small zap then what the hell could HAARP be doing to us? I didn't mean to segue off topic but it really got me thinking.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
as if sodium pentathol wasn't enough..now they wanna scramble brainwaves to know if I'm lying

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
reply to post by Human_Alien

It doesnt really matter if you can lie or not, there is always a way to evade the truth.

Not if and when we become telepathic. Doesn't the military have something (that they're admitting to anyway) that reads ones mind? I do believe so.

I can really picture the day when we won't need to lie anymore. We only lie when we're desperate and do something wrong. Or we lie due to vanity. Or we lie due to pressure (like cheating on a test) etc.
There are reasons why people lie. We weren't born to lie. Lying comes as the result of society (or psychosis)

I don't know, maybe I'm a wishful dreamer.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Wonderful news!

New amendment to the US constitution, politictians all need to start wearing their magnets on the opposite side of their heads from now on.

I can see it now, "congressman have you been wearing your magnet on the right side? Don't lie to me now."
edit on 9-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well it was just a matter of time. It's been known for awhile that placing magnets in specific parts can make you not be able to speak etc. It was just a matter of further experimentation to find out where to put them to make people not be able to lie. I guess this might lead to something more reliable than the current lie detector test but at worst case scenario leads to horrible big brother scenarios.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Wonderful news!

New amendment to the US constitution, politictians all need to start wearing their magnets on the opposite side of their heads from now on.

I can see it now, "congressman have you been wearing your magnet on the right side? Don't lie to me now."
edit on 9-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

I doubt it but it's nice to still be able to wish.... tax-free!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Well it was just a matter of time. It's been known for awhile that placing magnets in specific parts can make you not be able to speak etc. It was just a matter of further experimentation to find out where to put them to make people not be able to lie. I guess this might lead to something more reliable than the current lie detector test but at worst case scenario leads to horrible big brother scenarios.

You got that right.
To every good thing there's always something bad lurking on the sidelines.
I hope one day this polarized yin-yang yo-yo existence o'ours comes to an end! (asteroid anyone?)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
We are bombarded with magnetic fields most of the time because electricity traveling through a wire creates a magnetic field. Hmmm ..I wonder if answering your phone to the left or right makes a difference.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontlaughthink
We are bombarded with magnetic fields most of the time because electricity traveling through a wire creates a magnetic field. Hmmm ..I wonder if answering your phone to the left or right makes a difference.

Isn't that one of the prime reasons wires are covered with plastic?
But I'll tell ya this much, my ear (left one. I guess I'm left-earred) always has a hum to it and I think it's due to my cell phone usage of late.

Unfortunately there's always a moment of retrospection when we realize there was a less harmful and easier way of doing things and sometimes, to our determent!
It never fails! We always seem to complicate everything especially when there's a profit to be made!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I thought it erased memories. Contradictory science reports?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I found that very strong neodymium based magnets can cause a migrane headache to go down a few notches- likely placebo effect, as to the lying part I am not too convinced static magnets will do the trick, a really strong electromagnet with ULF pulsed through it can cause everything from a psychedelic state to convulsions though.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Oh, you have NO idea where I could go with this! Granted, hitting the brain with certain types of EM energy can produce some very interesting perceptions. But to claim it can hardwire you to do or not do/or say something? Yeah, were working on it, so far no dice...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join