It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.4 mag quake Vancouver Island, Canada Region

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
No, noticeable shaking here in Seattle, WA.

2nd line, sorry, felt chiming in was relevant and important to the topic what with me living relatively close to it, but could clearly do it in one sentence.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I live in Nanaimo and didn't feel a thing, but seems like all the other towns on the Island and Vancouver felt it...that's weird because you'd think you would feel a 6.7...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
WOW! I have been watching the NOAA Space Weather alerts all day. Praying there wouldn't be any big EQ today....so scary!!

Here is the page: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hey wasn't there just a large solar flare recently that was headed our way? I seem to remember reading that, as well as reading an article on scientists linking solar flares to earthquakes...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I didn't feel a thing in Port Alberni
edit on 9/9/11 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
But ELEnin isn't even aligned, how is this possible?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
double
edit on 9-9-2011 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Originally posted by SuperTripps
yup, just saw it hit

almost a 7 WOW

No it's not.

There is a big difference between 6.7 and 7

Yes, a 7 is almost exactly twice as powerful as a 6.7

(10^7) / (10^6.7) = 1.99526231

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
But ELEnin isn't even aligned, how is this possible?

Plate tectonics.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Friday September 9 2011, 19:41:34 UTC 53 minutes ago Vancouver Island, Canada region 6.4 23.0

Downgraded to 6.4

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I Messaged my buddy who is currently at the Fair (Yeah apparently, their is a fair going on near Vancouver) and he didn't feel anything.

This was his reply: I was at the fair ridin rollercoaster. Didnt feel anything wierd....

I think it was not as strong as the Stats seems to show.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Let's just hope this doesn't trigger movement to the Juan De Fuca plate.

Now that could be troublesome.

As it is, this quake is not near any large populations, afaik. Maybe some BC residents can fill us in on that info...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow, 6.7 is big. But I see that USGS has just scaled it back to a 6.4 Hate how they do this. They are full of #. How do I know? After our big quake in June. They did the same. And it ended up being a 5.8 or something. When our sites here put it up to 6.3 from a 6.1 USGS is full of it. Anyways stay safe, and a safe weekend. Could get rocky.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Heh, I just moved back home to Calgary from Vancouver... One of the reasons I left... It's a bad idea to be living along any coast line right now.
I prefer to be behind the mountains.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Phage is going to lose his mind when he see's this...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

I predicted this quake. No, seriously. The evidence is on my Facebook page. My record for large (usually 6.6+ quakes) is now 3 out of 4. Again, see my FB page. And before you ask, I never feel anything lower than a 6.5. They have to be 6.6 or above. It's like seasickness for me. I literally have to grab my desk at times because I feel like I'm rolling.

See my FB page for all the evidence you need. Okay, taking off my tinfoil hat. I'm not a kook. Just a reporter for a newspaper.

Pam

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
few of my friends said it was very noticeable but my dad at work said he didn't feel anything

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
nothing to see folks move along go shopping

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Let's just hope this doesn't trigger movement to the Juan De Fuca plate.

Now that could be troublesome.

As it is, this quake is not near any large populations, afaik. Maybe some BC residents can fill us in on that info...

That is what I was thinking.....and for the people who aren't familiar....

The Cascadia subduction zone (also referred to as the Cascadia fault) is a subduction zone, a type of convergent plate boundary that stretches from northern Vancouver Island to northern California. It is a very long sloping fault that separates the Juan de Fuca and North America plates. New ocean floor is being created offshore of Washington and Oregon. As more material wells up along the ocean ridge, the ocean floor moves toward and beneath the continent. The North American Plate also moves, in a general southwest direction, overriding the oceanic plate. The Cascadia Subduction Zone is where the two plates meet. Tectonic processes active in the Cascadia subduction zone region include accretion, subduction, deep earthquakes, and active volcanism that has included such notable eruptions as Mazama (Crater Lake) several thousand years ago and Mount St. Helens in 1980.[1] Major cities affected by a disturbance in this subduction zone would include Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; and Sacramento, California.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I live in Nanaimo on the east side of Vancouver Island 20 miles due West of Vancouver and didn't feel a thing. Is 25 miles considered deep? I would think so, plus it happened a fair ways out in the Ocean. Still, all our inlets on the West Coast are funnel shapped and very susceptable to tsunamis

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join