It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Leak at TX Nuke Weapons Plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
A hastily repaired weld in a blast door at a nuclear weapons plant in Amarillo Texas is peeling away. A sealant was used instead of actually repairing the weld, and the sealant is now peeling off.

www.foxnews.com
The Department of Defense's Pantex Plant (search) is the nation's only nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly plant and technicians work with radioactive and explosive materials at the complex around the clock.

According to a report by the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board (search), sealant had been applied to faulty door welds on underground workshops at the plant after officials learned that a 6-year-old work order to repair them was never completed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nuclear safety is something that can not be taken lightly. In true beaurocratic fashion, a "good enough" repair job has proven not to be good enough. Lax maintenance and repair can and will cost more to fix a second time then doing it right the first time.

We can just be glad that this shoddy repair did not contribute to the health and safety of the workers and the public.

Related ATSNN Articles

Improper Handling of Dismantled Nuclear Warhead

[edit on 8-23-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So basically what they're saying is they patched it with J.B. weld instead of actually repairing it...

that's rich.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
We can just be glad that this shoddy repair did not contribute to the health and safety of the workers and the public.

How do we know this? If it was leaking, what was leaking out? This kind of half-ass repair goes on everywhere -- not just nuke facilities -- but of all places to do a half-ass repair!

I'm surprised this actuallly became public information.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is not the first that has come out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
This is not the first that has come out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Same plant?! Nice, very nice. Duct tape and JB weld.
I've noticed this in the past about software engineers, they lack common sense, but I didn't know it was true of nuclear engineers as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i live right by the plant, as far as i know there wasn't anything on tv about it, or the duct tape incident. what a surprise

top topics

join