It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers and Ignorance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
All right just a question when you all were in school or are still in school how many times did the teacher make an incorrect statement? And for those of you who tried correcting the teacher or something along those lines, how many times did you get lectured about not embarresing the teacher. Really how come schools allow teachers to make ignorant statements yet allow them to put down the kid with the correct statement. I think that kids should be allowed to Deny Ignorance so long as it is respectfull. I mean can we really let kids be taught that Canada is the largest country in the world (yes one of my social studies teachers actually said that). I think that teachers also have things to learn, things that some random kid might want to share.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Schooling is actually just corporate bootcamp. Its there to break down a childs individuality and make them conform. They are trying to teach you that even if a teacher is wrong, he/she is still right. Its like if you boss says something completely wrong, do you tell him otherwise? no because then you, in his mind, belittle him and you get fired heh. Its all about conformity.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Oh yeah. My 10th grade History teacher would ALWAYS say really dumb stuff. Whenever he would, I just got up and yelled "LIAR!" and then he'd give me detention. He was also my baseball coach, so most of the time he let it slide.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The 'Establishment' determines what is printed, what is taught and virtually anything remotely considered as 'education'. Despite the fact that 2 + 2 = 4 (maybe not?) most of what the 'educational system' offers is carefully crafted to facilitate a specific manner of thinking. Anyone or anything that deviates from this norm is cast out as a freak or an outsider. Future prospects are driven into the ground and you can pretty much bet that you will be working out a meager living as a "sandwich artist".

Seriously, as an example: if a teacher in your highschool suggested that the pyramids were constructed by an advanced extra terrestrial civilization, he or she would most likely be given a little 'time off'. If I write a paper on the same topic, I most likely will receive a failing grade. Why? Because that is not how we are supposed to think. We are supposed to believe the 'written' version of history and the facts the way they are portrayed by the scientific community and enlightened officials who know. The ones who guide us dumb sheep around because we are too stupid to reason and figure for ourselves. Sounds like a load of horsesh** to me.

Actually, the whole system is quite clever and is set up to run on autopilot. Think differently than your peers and you are an outcast. Ridiculed and made to feel like a fool. The sheep controlling the sheep. Brilliant

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio
Oh yeah. My 10th grade History teacher would ALWAYS say really dumb stuff. Whenever he would, I just got up and yelled "LIAR!" and then he'd give me detention. He was also my baseball coach, so most of the time he let it slide.

What sort of stuff would your 10th Grade History teacher say? Also, was it U.S. History or World History?

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
In here ministers of education are like walking jokes that are changed every other month. One of them managed to give an interview to the television, days before exams, and show how all exam papers are packed into sealed envelopes, so there can not be an information leak...
i.e. exam papers were on TV.

After this minister resigned, next minister wanted to make the school year not from Sept. to May. , but from Aug. to Jun. It appeared that his collage diploma was fake and he got fired.

The folowing minister managed to pass a rule that kids with bad scores can't finish school ( luckily it was already after I graduated ).

The next minister started shutting down forein languague shcool, but also got changed.

Now waiting for what jokes will the new minister do.

Yet look at the bright side, seeing "sheeps controled by sheeps" you can start understanding that you are not a sheep and walk your own path!

Good Luck!

[edit on 24-8-2004 by bratok]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I cant think of anything my own teachers said that I was able to say was wrong, but the things my daughter tells me are unbelievable! Nothing comes to mind offhand, but I do know that i've been flabbergasted by some of the outrageous things that the teachers have apparently taught her and her schoolmates. Granted, when she tells me these "facts" I take them with a pinch of salt, as she may have picked it up wrong. But if even half of what she says is true, then I'm suprised that those teachers have a job.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i've never had a teacher yell at me for correcting them. in fact, most of them apologize to the class for being wrong and correct themselves. this was throughout highschool and in what college i've done. i don't remember back into grade school too much.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I find it strange that my teachers are so far different then the ignorant fools you guys encounter lol. If we write a paper about Extra-terrestrials building the pyramids, and give good reason why its a strong possibility, you would get a higher grade then that of just a cliche' "The pyramids in egypt were made in..." kindof topics. Maybe its just because I'm in honor classes, but they teach us to always think outside of the box, question the mainstream authority and education, and resist getting into the hairball as long as we can. We're encouraged to question our teachers on things, and if you have some good research, expand your horizon on new ideas. after all, nothing is certain in the world.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have had much the same experience as CKK, I only once had a teacher or lecturer who had any problems with being corrected by students, and he was quite quickly shown the door by the other teachers. The rest were excellent (as long as we were being respectful, which wasn't always the case). I even recall one maths teacher who used to get mixed up almost every time he'd go to show us something on the blackboard. It became a running joke and I think if anything, it helped the students learn as we paid more attention and spent the whole time trying to be the first to catch him buggering it up again.

[edit on 24-8-2004 by Kano]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
When my son was in 2nd grade and in the public school system he would come home with papers that were improperly marked by the teacher. I mean cmon. How difficult is 2nd grade math. Things that were correct were marked wrong and things that were wrong were left unmarked. And what kind of a spelling word is "camoflague" for a 2nd grader? They used no proper system for building a child's vocabulary. They'd pick a story and just pick words out of it for the kids to learn to spell. And they wouldn't even bother making sure the kids even knew what the words meant.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I've never had much trouble with ignorant teachers on my school. Because my school only has classes of the highest level, the school has more teachers to choose from than other schools. Almost every teacher has a university grade and we also have a few that have a doctorate. But this doesn't mean that they know everything. I remember two teachers I had last year. They could perfectly explain that what they had to teach, but when they had to talk about something that was outside the normal subject matter, they usually didn't know. This was no real problem, because they would usually look it up or ask other teachers.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
you know, I think teachers might be teaching you fake stuff, givin you false information, I dunno.......

Oh, u know wut, school's sometimes just waste of your time, because there are things you just don't want to learn, but they force you to learn, and it's kind of painful...lol....u know, I go to school, and i hate homework but i do it anyway, u know, i think schools should be askin what you are interested in, u know, and when u tell them what stuff u r interested in, then they should teach you about it......i mean, isn't that kind of rude that's forcing you to teach you Math, Science, Arts, Biology, etc, etc....u know what i'm sayin, right? I mean, if u disagree with me, that's fine with me, i'm just tellin' my thoughts, ya know?

[edit on 25-8-2004 by phyto]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Well it sounds like some of you were lucky. As for me well my school system had a lot of problems. Me personally I hate how kids are rarely allowed to disagree with teachers. Yes when I was in elementary school the Clinton administration was still in power. The school made it seem as if the current president was some kind of diety. Yeah I found out years later that most teachers never mentioned the whole Monica thing with Clinton. When I was in middle school I talked about this at home. Heres what I was told. "The teachers have degrees and you don't".

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can tell you that the school system around here is really messed up. The High School and Middle school is bad enough. Hell teachers are quitting left and right, because of the administrator and everything. Teacher's didn't care for when I told them they did something wrong, they would just flip out and everything. The teachers I had were quite ignorant.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The school system upsets me immensely! Kids in school, I repeat "in school" will say "I seen it" instead of I SAW it" grrrrrr, or..."hand me them papers".... instead of "THOSE" papers grrrrr, and will not correct them....I also understand about colloquial accents but if your a teach I think you should learn the difference between a TRUE southern accent, one with a nice draw and a country accent....it drives me nuts for teachers to sound like they have no schooling what-so-ever!

[edit on 8/27/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think it depends on the teacher and how much pride they have.I have had some teachers that don't mind being corrected but I have ahad a couple teacher that take it personly when you prve them wrong or question what they say.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I knew a depressed guy.. He sat in class always sad, with a frown on his face.. One time he was too depressed to do work.. Of course the teacher did not know this but she still kicked him out of class without asking questions like.. "What's bothering you?" or "Why have you been so tired lately?" There was nothing of the sort.. Just a "Your not productive, therefor you have no reason to be here. Leave"
I watched tears roll off his face while he walked up and left. I have no respect for that teacher what so ever and I think something a serious as that should be brought to the school board.

Makes me sick!!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Useful 1diot
I knew a depressed guy.. He sat in class always sad, with a frown on his face.. One time he was too depressed to do work.. Of course the teacher did not know this but she still kicked him out of class without asking questions like.. "What's bothering you?" or "Why have you been so tired lately?" There was nothing of the sort.. Just a "Your not productive, therefor you have no reason to be here. Leave"
I watched tears roll off his face while he walked up and left. I have no respect for that teacher what so ever and I think something a serious as that should be brought to the school board.

Makes me sick!!

OMG! That is flat out inapropriate behavior on the teachers part. Of course I've seen a lot of teachers complain about stress and stuff. Meanwhile many of them forget that students also suffer stress and depression etc.

The school system upsets me immensely! Kids in school, I repeat "in school" will say "I seen it" instead of I SAW it" grrrrrr, or..."hand me them papers".... instead of "THOSE" papers grrrrr, and will not correct them....I also understand about colloquial accents but if your a teach I think you should learn the difference between a TRUE southern accent, one with a nice draw and a country accent....it drives me nuts for teachers to sound like they have no schooling what-so-ever!
Yeah that reminds me of my sixth grade English teacher. She always complained about bad grammer and such yet she had a few speaking problems her self. Hipocrits drive me crazy sometimes.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
None of my teachers ever did anything to me about correctiing them. They actually liked it, and we became very good friends. They liked me.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join