It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When TSHTF And ATS Goes Down?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by OldCorp
I have a Class 3 FCC license which enables me to legally operate any commercial radio or television station in the US. Does one need a separate license to operate a ham radio?

Since the commercial and the amateur bands are separated in just about every way possible my guess would be that you would need an amateur license. Do you have an assigned call sign associated with your license? That's basically all the amateur license is, an assigned call sign. If you dont have one you cant operate.

Of course, people do all the time. Just listen to some of the more populated repeaters out there like in Los Angeles or Cincinnati. Nothing but screaming unlicensed idiots filling the air with profanity and noise. Not unlike CB at it's redneck popularity height.

I've had the license since 1987; obtaining it was a requirement for getting my degree in journalism. On the front, it says:

(Your Name) is authorized to operate any radio station which may be operated by a person holding this class of license. This permit is issued in conformity with Paragraphs 3454 and 3945 of the Radio Regulations, Geneva 1979, and is valid for the life of the holder unless suspended by the FCC.

And on the back it gives a bunch of examples where I would NOT be allowed to do certain things, but it does specifically say I can "...operate ANY radio transmitter that has a valid radio station license." While it doesn't specifically say it, I've been told that it also applies to TV stations (I hope it does, because I've "operated" a couple.)

I still don't know if this would apply to a ham set, because as you pointed out, with a ham radio, it is the operator who is licensed and not the radio itself. The way I read my license the transmitter has to be licensed too in order for me to operate it. Damn, you need a lawyer to figger all this crap out.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Off topic... Nice Avatar
sorry OP

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by SLAYER69

Off topic... Nice Avatar
sorry OP

Not a problem. I'm not like some who get their panties all twisted up in a bunch when an occasional off topic post is made. I agree too, Slayer always has some killar avatars.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Got to love that incredibly vague description. "Can operate any radio legally permitted to operate."

It's like they made it vague on purpose just so they could stick people with fines whenever they felt like it.

With an amateur license you're basically limited to certain bandwidths based on the class of license but you can work any radio you want within that bandwidth.

I can take my call sign anywhere in the world (provided it's a HAM friendly nation) and my station is my call sign regardless of where I am operating and whose equipment I'm operating. My call sign stays constant.

It's easy enough to get a license. The test was $15 and all I did to get ready was take online quizzes over and over and over from QRZ.com.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
All that screaming, and the use of linear amps on CB's are why a lot of people moved on.... The outlaw channels were controlled by toggle switch installed on my mobile unit. I have no Idea what this guy did, but it worked well, we could talk with out all the BS. Large linear amps could destroy you unit if left on when one of these nut jobs drove with in range of your unit. I have seen whip antennas glowing read hot.. No not the little balls they sold to go on top of your antennas. Pushing more power than godlzza could. 500 - 1000watts

Back on Topic...People with a plan to gthofd is ok, but at some point it may be a good thing to check on what is going on.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Papagrune
All that screaming, and the use of linear amps on CB's are why a lot of people moved on.... The outlaw channels were controlled by toggle switch installed on my mobile unit. I have no Idea what this guy did, but it worked well, we could talk with out all the BS. Large linear amps could destroy you unit if left on when one of these nut jobs drove with in range of your unit. I have seen whip antennas glowing read hot.. No not the little balls they sold to go on top of your antennas. Pushing more power than godlzza could. 500 - 1000watts

There was a time when CBs were a form of primitive internet... and chaos reigned as much on those airwaves as it does today on the world wide web.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Do you still have to know morse code and prove it?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sorry not CB, but Ham and some other licenses.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

- . ---

.. -....-.. .-....-.-.-. ..- ..-. -..... --.-.-...-.. -.-.---.-..--. -....---

ETA: I have to go buy my son a bike chain so he can ride it to the football game tonight. I'll BBL. Keep the great ideas coming folks.
edit on 9/9/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
How would ATS facebook page be affected and also twitter?
I have noticed that during some of these events that there are a lot of people posting on twitter on what is going on.
They may have lost power,but their cell phones still work.

twitter.com...#!/AboveTopSecret
edit on 9-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

They dropped the Morse code requirement from all of the HAM classes. You can go all the way to Extra class and not need to know a single dot or dash.

CW is still pretty popular among folks though. I know guys who have never uttered a word over their radios and just key because they love it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Do you really need a license to operate a ham radio when tshtf?
Are the going to come hunt you down when there is total chaos in the streets??

I remember many road trips with the family when I was a kid listening to my dad's cb radio.
Remember the lingo used?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

I remember many road trips with the family when I was a kid listening to my dad's cb radio.
Remember the lingo used?

LOL, good point.

10-4 good buddy, put the pedal to the metal and ease into the rocking chair, OC has the front door.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
then....we would have to go outside and talk to people ?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
Most of the people that frequent this website won't be prepared or knowledgeable enough to live in an emergency or wilderness environment.

That may well be true.But, I for one sleep a little better at night at least knowing I am going to try for the sake of my family to use what I've learned here on ATS...and I'm Very grateful for having this knowledge available...
Thank you

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Negative. That requirement went away just AFTER I got my Extra Class license. HAMs licensed after that are called "No Code Hams."

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
ATS going down hardly equates with TSHTF - even though we might miss it!
But lets say all the internet goes down - we might wish we had developed real relationships instead of spending so much time in online debate with faceless people. Plus other means of communication as mentioned.
That said, in a real TSHTF scenario we will be too busy surviving to be concerned about logging on to conspiracy sites.
edit on 9-9-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by kdog1982

Remember the lingo used?

LOL, good point.

10-4 good buddy, put the pedal to the metal and ease into the rocking chair, OC has the front door.

Bring back some memories??

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
ATS going down hardly equates with TSHTF - even though we might miss it!
But lets say all the internet goes down - we might wish we had developed real relationships instead of spending so much time in online debate with faceless people. Plus other means of communication as mentioned.
That said, in a real TSHTF scenario we will be too busy surviving to be concerned about logging on to conspiracy sites.
edit on 9-9-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

So true.
I have built a relationship with my neighbors,10 households in all,and we pull together when a bad storm comes through and we have to clear out trees and help each other out.
It's the fact of communication with outside my little circle and info on what is going on.
Contacting family and friends from afar.
Know thy neighbor.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

We'll be far too busy surviving then to be piddling around on ATS...that's my first answer.
Now if it's just internet and electricity down, then we'll be all too busy trying to keep our food from spoiling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join