It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPOT satellite messenger: product review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Okay look ... I know I'm walking a fine line here by plugging a single product... but if your serious about survival then you really should take a close look at the SPOT satellite messenger
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5cd3f36022cc.jpg[/atsimg]

SPOT Connect Satellite Communicator enables your smartphone to communicate off the grid and out of cell tower range. Keep in touch with friends, family and emergency teams wherever you roam!

•Pair SPOT Connect with your smartphone and connect to a global satellite network that lets you send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet

•SOS function lets you send your exact GPS coordinates and a request for emergency assistance to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center

•SOS signal transmits every 5 minutes until the batteries die; GEOS International Emergency Response Center alerts the appropriate agency in your area to bring you aid

•For non-emergency help, SPOT Connect lets you send preselected friends and family requests for assistance via SMS text and email; signal goes out every 5 min. for 1 hr.

•Check-in/OK feature sends a predefined message to friends and family, letting them know that you're OK and showing your current location

•Record your progress and share it with others using the Track Progress function; contacts can watch your progress almost real time on Google Maps as your adventure unfolds

•Basic service ($99.99 annual subscription required) lets you send unlimited predefined Check-in/OK, Help and SOS messages as well as updates to Facebook and Twitter
the appropriate agency in your area to bring you aid

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9178bbb0ea58.jpg[/atsimg]
The same company makes a standalone... the SPOT II Satellite GPS Messenger... doesn't give you all the functions of your smart phone but it does have a built-in global GPS>>>>

both of these units retail in the $160 range... do some shopping around... google shows prices as low as $80 bucks... of course there is a $99 yearly subscription fee to make it work... but it's well worth the money if you spend anytime in the great outdoors
edit on 9-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I have a SPOT and I love it. I'm in the bush by myself several times a week so its great. It costs nothing to send a message so I can send myself checkin messages whenever I want to mark a location I'm interested in.

It's small and built well so I don't have to babysit it.

I lend it to my friends whenever they go on a trip somewhere in the world that is risky. Its kind of fun to look at the satellite images of where they are when they check in.

for an extra ten dollars a year you can add an rescue insurance policy as well.

I highly recommend this for anybody that spends time alone in remote areas.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

A lot of good things to say about the Spot and some glitches and recalls as well. Its seems to just keep getting better with each evolution though and they are quick to resolve issues.

Equipped to Survive, Doug Ritter's site) has a couple of good write ups on the original SPOT, the SPOT 2 and the new Satellite Communicator which was recalled back in April.

www.equipped.org...

Good info on personal locator beacons also. A must for any solo traveler out in the wilds.

DeLorme has a new satellite device that offers 2 way communication via the Iridium Satellite system.
Pretty cool except that its $10 bucks a month.
www.equipped.org...

edit on 9-9-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

i use to scoff at youtube but it is a great place sometime to goto when your thinking about buying gear

for whatever purpose shtf gear to normal everyday things for house and home.

funny thing is i use to hate youtube thought it was worthless.

the spot messengers you can buy the stand alone link it to delorme handheld gps and link it to cell phones

great idea couldnt find the other video where the dude was testing it out in the real world.

safety is always the number one priorty

top topics

join