It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Apostle Paul says it's better to be celibate.

page: 4
3
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by InshaAllah
One question i would like to pose is. Why do most christians oppose The Urantia book?


It goes against the Gospel. I already posted Bible quotes that says if anyone brings another Gospel even if it's an angel from Heaven let him be condemned.

The Urantia book is rubbish www.skepdic.com... stop trying to derail this thread with it. It has nothing to do with the Bible.




posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Wait!

Christians that don't agree with each other?
WTF is going on here? That never happens, does it?

LMAO!!!

On a side note, the OP should note that though i don't agree with NYT, he clearly understands the bible far better then you do.

Honestly though this thread is waaaay to funny...

Can't wait to see where it goes.... I'd give it a star and a flag, but i don't S&F idiocy...




posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!



As a reminder, this is the topic:

Apostle Paul says it's better to be celibate



Not urantia, other members or who is derailing the thread.

Further departures from the topic will be removed, and continued derailments or trolling may result in temporary Post Bans.

Terms & Conditions Of Use

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

YOU are responsible for your own posts



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IlluminatusOculus33
1 Corinthians 7:1b; 7-8; 29; 32

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am. But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none. But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord.

The Apostle Paul recommended that leading the life of celibacy is ideal because you focus on the Lord while being married distracts you from doing the Lords work. Paul also said we should be self controlled "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." -1 Corinthians 9:27

Since we are living in the last days we should be celibate so we can serve the Lord to our fullest. Christ shall return riding on clouds of glory. The trumpet will sound and the believers caught up in Heaven. Do you want to be responsible for not spreading the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ?


I think Paul got that wrong or it changed after 2000 years. Being single forces you to obsess on and pursue getting some tang, which distracts you from the Lords work because youre always horny. It's hard to concentrate on the Lord when your desires are raging out of control.

Being married actually made me a better christian because i stopped all that fornicating with dozens of different women and brought me back to serving Jesus and not serving myself. Celibacy doesn't really work in these times, why do you think all those Catholic priests have taken a liking to little boys? Better for them to marry and have wives than traumatize little kids and pervert them.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 





If you have sexual desires that means God hasn't called you to a life of celibacy.


I have to disagree with you there brother. Following Christ isn't about being assuaged of all temptations, trials, obstacles, etc,. It's not as if God will simply take away these critical vestiges of the human experience overnight. It's a process of sanctification, a working relationship that unfolds as we grow in obedience to and love for our Lord. Instead, it is a willingness to endure despite temptations knowing in faith that His grace is sufficient and that through Him and with Him, we can conquer all things. Of course, as we continue on in our walk with Messiah, the spirit grows stronger and the flesh weaker. In time, we are ever more prepared to face these trials unto victory. But, to say that these desires must first be relinquished before embarking on our higher calling in Christ is an inversion of the true process at work. Even Paul himself said -

"For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I." Romans 7:15

Surely he battled similar desires (perhaps not sexual per se) but carried on in his mission nevertheless.

Just my understanding of the matter. Always a pleasure to meet a fellow brother in Christ.

Regards,

followtheevidence



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by IlluminatusOculus33
1 Corinthians 7:1b; 7-8; 29; 32

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am. But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none. But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord.

The Apostle Paul recommended that leading the life of celibacy is ideal because you focus on the Lord while being married distracts you from doing the Lords work. Paul also said we should be self controlled "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." -1 Corinthians 9:27

Since we are living in the last days we should be celibate so we can serve the Lord to our fullest. Christ shall return riding on clouds of glory. The trumpet will sound and the believers caught up in Heaven. Do you want to be responsible for not spreading the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ?


I think Paul got that wrong or it changed after 2000 years. Being single forces you to obsess on and pursue getting some tang, which distracts you from the Lords work because youre always horny. It's hard to concentrate on the Lord when your desires are raging out of control.

Being married actually made me a better christian because i stopped all that fornicating with dozens of different women and brought me back to serving Jesus and not serving myself. Celibacy doesn't really work in these times, why do you think all those Catholic priests have taken a liking to little boys? Better for them to marry and have wives than traumatize little kids and pervert them.



What you wrote is quite true.

Whenever I have been in a long term relationship I become a much better person. Without the opportunity of being able to express oneself in a healthy relationship I always feel more miserable, alone, frustrated and pent up.

But then St. Paul was a very special man in that he was the main man who spread the Message throughout the then pagan world.

May be for us guys it is better to have a good woman in your life.

Paul was a very courageous and brave man who got his head chopped off for Jesus. Braver than a coward like me for sure, makes me feel very low when I think of that blessed man.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by followtheevidence
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 





If you have sexual desires that means God hasn't called you to a life of celibacy.


I have to disagree with you there brother. Following Christ isn't about being assuaged of all temptations, trials, obstacles, etc,. It's not as if God will simply take away these critical vestiges of the human experience overnight. It's a process of sanctification, a working relationship that unfolds as we grow in obedience to and love for our Lord. Instead, it is a willingness to endure despite temptations knowing in faith that His grace is sufficient and that through Him and with Him, we can conquer all things. Of course, as we continue on in our walk with Messiah, the spirit grows stronger and the flesh weaker. In time, we are ever more prepared to face these trials unto victory. But, to say that these desires must first be relinquished before embarking on our higher calling in Christ is an inversion of the true process at work. Even Paul himself said -

"For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I." Romans 7:15

Surely he battled similar desires (perhaps not sexual per se) but carried on in his mission nevertheless.

Just my understanding of the matter. Always a pleasure to meet a fellow brother in Christ.

Regards,

followtheevidence


Yep! Remember what Paul said about his "thorn in the flesh"? He never conquered the flesh totally as he was not perfect like Christ, but he is one of the most successful and brave of Christ's True Saints.

God Bless.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
I think Paul was pretty clear that while he thought celibacy might work for some people, it wasn't for everyone. And besides, it's Paul speaking, not Jesus. Vows of celibacy haven't worked out too well for the Catholic Church, so there's a precedence there that celibacy can lead at least some people down a path of evil rather than good.


Mate it could be God himself or even the virgin mary... I wouldnt be a celibate. Oh... and bringing the "virgin mary" isnt prolly a good idea either...



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9
 


Well the one thing i learned during all that fornicating was that sex outside of marriage eats away at your soul until you feel dead inside and the act becomes meaningless. Theres no real joy in it either, and i always felt like an animal because i was obeying my baser desires instead of following Jesus the way i should have. My wife actually helped to turn me back around because i had gotten to the point where i was an atheist and didn't believe in God or Jesus anymore, i had been given over to a spirit of apathy and i just didn't care.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33
 


Yo, celibacy is to retain and build your Chi/Jing/Life Essence.

Saul can go pound Salt.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Why do you keep posting these types of threads? They're essentially useless for anyone who's not Christian.

Well it's still better than your last thread about how people should refrain from masturbation. I don't know whether or not celibacy is "better" but it may work for some, not for others. However, to say that masturbation is a sin or adultery is complete bollocks; well at the least it doesn't apply to anyone not Christian. And guaranteed 90 percent of Christians still masturbate anyway.

Question is. Why would you deny your basic instincts because a 2000 year old story book says so? That's not logical.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu
 


Lust and self abuse is a sin. People that lack self control just make up excuses so they won't have to follow what is taught in the Bible.

chick.com...

www.cbn.com...



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33
 

Many Christians regard Paul as a fake apostle.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33
 

Many Christians regard Paul as a fake apostle.


Then they reject most of the New Testament and are fake Christians.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
As to those who say it's been changed, 1st Corinthians is one of the most cohesive texts in the Bible. The copies of this passage are identical in Codices from different ends of the ancient world, written in the 3rd and fourth centuries. Manuscripts like Alexandrinus, Sinaiaticus, and Rescriptus agree on this teaching even as early as 200-400 AD. Christianity wasn't technically even legal until about 315, and wasnt protected throughout the empire until about 333; so several of those identical manuscripts, separated by time and place, were written while Christianity was still an "outlaw religion."

I think it is quite safe to say that sexual self-denial is a core value for much of the early church, and continues to be so today, across denominations.

And why would this be?

Christianity itself is an antidote to the POWER of this age. The rulers of the zeitgeist tell you that the most important thing is for you to accrue as much power, wealth, and pleasure as possible: "whoever dies with the most toys wins."

The fundamental argument of Christianity (of practically any religion for that matter) is that experiences don't automatically enrich us. There are some experiences in this life that actually impoverish us. While we may think that getting all the sex, getting all the beer, getting all the fun, would turn us into a race of supermen, the opposite is actually the case.

God created us out of the dust of the earth. For those who believe in evolution, you could still argue that we are a spiritual being hidden in a physical body--- like treasure hidden in a jar of clay. Either way, the argument for celibacy is that God wants to see us transcend the impulses of this physical world, to have the Spirit rule the flesh, rather than merely having the spirit imprisoned and held hostage to our physical whims and appetites.

Of course the mainstream materialist society sees no value in renunciation. How could they sell us beer and porn, if we saw such things as actual impediments on the road to total happiness! How could they sell us cars and viagra and collector's editions and better computer games? If "winning" isn't what it's all about, where does that leave the Charlie Sheens of this present darkness?

Having a life-goal beyond simply "being happy" means training yourself, focusing. If you admit, really admit that you are going to die some day, then suddenly all of the notches on your belt and all the money and all the PhD's and all of the celebrity are instantly rendered meaningless.

If you knew that you were living under a death sentence, wouldn't you do everything you could to escape that fate? wouldn't you try for a jail-break before you are finally executed? Like in the Shawshank redemption, wouldn't you focus and work and plan and train yourself for the moment when you'd make a break for it????

Athletes are careful about what they eat and how they spend their time, so that they can excel. Many materialist athletes will tell you that having sex the night before the big game can actually impair your performance on the field. why is that?

If there is such a thing as a physical athlete....what if there were such a thing as a spiritual athlete? How would one train for that?




edit on 9-9-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: Less is more.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft
 


You've hit the nail on the head dr strangecraft, the missing link is the societal acknowledgement that we are multidimensional beings and what can be encompassed in our conscious view is not just this physical plane through our 5 senses, but other dimensions of life through our higher dimensional bodies and their senses as well.

They did not have the language back then to describe accurately what it is they were trying to accomplish and due to the complexity of the subject it was difficult to describe the process of "enlightenment" in totality.

The instincts which drove animals to survive still drive us day to day, they drive most actions, thoughts and feelings. They were trying to teach us that through a radical process of self discipline, alchemical changes and introspection we could conquer these drives and merge into the senses of our higher dimensional bodies where the animal instincts are changed into love, wisdom, intuition and chastity. When we view reality from this perspective we've transitioned ourselves into heaven, feeling the wisdom and love of "God" which is beyond our own subjective view of reality. If we empower the animal instincts, we are devolving, and create our own hell. Hell is simply our focus of the higher dimensions where thoughts are reality with the animal instincts having complete control over us constantly creating lustful impressions, fear creating villains to chase us and anger creating violent experiences. Your dreams give you an indication how strong these are within you. Those animal drives were necessary for the non self conscious entities to grow and evolve (aka the wheel of samsara) but we do not need those driving us now.

None of this makes sense without a strong will to self observe to completely understand the origin of each thought and feeling. Most people do not do this, and consequently we have people saying things they don't mean in the heat of anger and reflecting on it later with guilt. A result of constant self observation is being more present in each and every moment that passes. Being present in each moment means better decisions, self understanding and more detail can be extracted from every moment that passes. As we become more aware of each moment that passes we realize the illusory nature of time and that the present moment is where the true nature of reality exists, in the present moment is where our senses of the higher dimensional bodies become active. The goal is then to become so conscious of each moment that we completely activate our higher dimensional bodies senses and transition into them to view reality beyond the present moment into a timeless form where thought becomes reality. This is why it's important to have complete power over ones thoughts due to the nature of thoughts driving the higher dimensions. This is why when you sleep and deactivate the physical bodies senses and go to the higher dimensions you only see impressions of the false reality you've created - the same thoughts, feelings, actions that drive your day, you are not "conscious" there to see what the dimensions looks like in and of itself (some people can be, hence "lucid dreams". Overcoming the animal instincts and viewing reality from an enlightened perspective in the higher dimensions is where the other entities of this universe are residing, looking down and waiting for us to become conscious of them. If we have sufficiently removed ourselves from these drives and have transitioned into the senses of our higher dimensional body, then upon death, the physical body and its senses falls away and is not needed anymore and we can continue our journey of self discovery and enlightenment.

People are having their animal instincts strengthened through pornography and lustful impressions, violent movies, music videos that teach materialism and fornication. Now people say "today just flew by, i barely witnessed the day". I liken the view through the animal instincts like being drunk, the clarity and detail of reality is lost to the extent that time fly's by. Imagine if we could strengthen the part of ourselves that is viewing reality, we can make time go in the opposite direction and slow it down, extracting more detail from every passing moment and learn a great deal about reality. We effectively start navigating reality with our view of it. This is finding a new dimension to explore reality with, our own view!

It's a complex topic, and i know enough to know i don't have all the answers, but what I've talked about are things I've experience personally over the last few years. I hope others will find it useful in their own journeys.

gnosticteachings.org...

edit on 9-9-2011 by raiden12 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Unfortunately my God given gift is introducing women to multiple, F-5 orgasms.

Wasn't Paul in his 40's when he wrote that? I mean, it's kind of easy to be celibate when your testosterone level is lower than Beatrice Arthur's.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
How can you obey God's law to be fruitful and multiply if you have nothing to do with women? I think the old joke punchline is :"Oh! It says CELEBRATE, not CELIBATE!".

And here's something else quoted in Scripture to all those who love to preach and judge on ATS and join mega-churches headed by mega-egos at home:
:
Matthew 6:5-6 ESV

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.




top topics



 
3
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join