It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel to ‘punish’ Turkey

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Jerusalem to punish Erdogan: Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has decided to adopt a series of harsh measures in response to Turkey’s latest anti-Israeli moves, Yedioth Ahronoth reported Friday.

This has the ability to spark a major war, this is note merely downgrading diplomatic ties, Israel is talking about arming the Kurdish rebels:

Lieberman is also planning to set meetings with the heads of Kurdish rebel group PKK in Europe in order to “cooperate with them and boost them in every possible area.” In these meetings, the Kurds may ask Israel for military aid in the form of training and arms supplies, a move that would constitute a major anti-Turkish position should it materialize.

Also threatening to do serious damage to Turkeys international image by supporting the Armeninians in their bid to have the Armenian genocide recognized:

Another planned Israeli move is the facilitation of cooperation with Turkey’s historic rivals, the Armenians. During Lieberman’s visit to the United States this month, the foreign minister is expected to meet with leaders of the Armenian lobby and propose anti-Turkish cooperation in Congress. The implication of this move could be Israeli assistance in promoting international recognition of the Armenian holocaust, a measure that would gravely harm Turkey. Israel may also back Armenia in its dispute vis-à-vis Turkey over control of Mount Ararat

This doesnt sound good and it looks like they are headed for a massive stand off, I dont think anything good can come of this.

See the article for the whole story: Israel to punish Turkey.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by demoncleaner

good,

i had many Armenian friends and it is a shame these turks want to pave that genocide over and start another.

the gov of turkey might seem to be secular but the population are not.

they are in for a hurting.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Even though I read somewhere that Israel was going to be moderate about the whole Turkey incident, and your OP took me by surprise, I agree that things could get really ugly over here. I am currently in Greece, and the government here has very recently expanded its diplomatic relations with Israel to a level that could be considered as "ally". To make matters worse, Greece and Turkey have always had their problems, and challenges happen all the time in the Aegean Sea. Now, if you also take into account that Cyprus, which is divided in half, meaning that half of the island is independent, under the strict protection of Greece, and the other half is ruled by Turkey, it adds a lot more tension to the very sensitive area of Mediterranean Sea. Yet another factor that should be taken into consideration is the fact that underneath Cyprus there is a huge quantity of gas and oil, and all countries would like to get their fair share of it. Besides, when Cyprus announced that was planning to conduct researches on the area to discover the exact amount of gas and the circumstances under which it lies there, Turkey immediately replied that they wouldn't allow such thing.
Now tell me, after all of this, am I wrong to be extremely worried???
edit on 9-9-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that the vice president of the greek government announced today that an attack against Cyprus means an attack against Greece, and that Greece would defend Cyprus till the very end, if that where to happen. This statement was an answer to a member of the turkish government, who announced today that eastern Mediterranean would be flooded with turkish warships, to prevent damaging her dominance in the area.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

I definitely dont think you are wrong to be worried, in fact I think being worried is very prudent.

It does seem that Israel is partnering up with Greece and considering the tension that already exists between Greece and Turkey this is just adding fuel to the fire.

What worries me is that this could set the whole region on fire because if Israel and Greece team up against Turkey i think Turkey might just turn towards Iran, Syria and their allies for support which would mean a major regional war.

I am also not certain what would happen with regard to Turkey being a NATO member. If they get embroiled in a war with Israel what would NATO do, how would the U.S handle the situation, being an integral member of NATO but also the main supporter of Israel?

Could this be the spark that sets off WW3?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

ya, no kidding!

they been going at it for years!

turk and greek cypriots.

don't envy you bro/sis.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Israel has failed to grasp the true implications of the arab spring. They are no longer surrounded by western puppet regimes keeping their populations suppressed and unquestioning. What they face now is a renaissance of arab/islamic culture that stretches right across the middle east and into a resurgent/confident Turkey to the north. Its a grassroots movement of people power, they want 'and are getting' change, that change does not just stop with the overthrow of their corrupt leaders. Even the leaders who have not been toppled now live in fear of their citizens, and will do what the people want rather than risk revolution.

There are signs that the arab spring may be turning into outright hostility towards Israel and its treatment of the palestinians. Rather than recognise the danger signs, Israel is as belligerent and arrogant as ever. Unless they engage with the rest of the middle and show some much needed foresight, they risk destroying their very way of life.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Good thinking my friend... It is indeed very troubling and the situation can get out of hand very easily. Plus, Russia could ally with Turkey on this one, because they have the same interest about the hidden gas underneath Cyprus. Although things are a little more complicated than that. Ok, I'll make a list so you'll be able to follow through!

Reasons why Russia might team up with Turkey:
1. They want access to the hidden gas.
2. Greece has the support of the USA and has shown a significant preference to the USA, ignoring Russia a little bit.

Reasons why Russia might team up with Greece:
1. They are both christian orthodoxes.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

To avoid embroiling NATO or other alliances Turkey has to avoid confronting Cyprus..

The UK has Sovereign bases on the Island that count as British Territory. These contain the UKs theatre reserves for Afghanistan and most importantly contain GCHQ listening/spy facilities..

It is my understanding Euro-fighter Typhoons where moved to the RAF bases on Cyrpus when NATO moved on Libya, while the Royal Navy have recently completed their usual amphibious exercises on the Island titled this year, Cypriot Lion.

Any moves on Cyprus would bring in many other countries via various treaties...

If for example Turkish forces attacked the UKs bases then that would by default bring in France.. France like the UK have extensive maritime and amphibious forces in the Med at the moment and both side with Greece and Cyprus.

As for the US, given who falls on which side it might not be a case of supporting Israel over Turkey but rather UK/France/Greece/Cyprus over Turkey.

Given how that could escalate I am sure nothing will come of this as I do not feel Turkey are that silly.. especially if it meant a Royal Navy SLBM might end up sitting off her coast.

In fact going by how this is panning out it seems illogical for Turkey to make such a move so I believe this to be no more than smoke and mirrors to allow Turkey to deal with the Syrian situation without cries that Israel and the US are pulling the strings.
edit on 9/9/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Yeah, I know...
(Sigh) Trying to think positive

edit on 9-9-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Its a no brainer that Israel will have their way and punish Turkey with universal support from all the puppet NATO countries.

Most likely Turkey will be kicked out of NATO and then things will start to get a bit chaotic...
edit on 9-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
What a suprize NOT!.. Israel throwing its weight around again, but this time i fear they have bitten more than they can chew, Turkey is not lebanon or the palestine and will not be pushed around, bullied and generally abused by them. The Israel government are losing face and credibility (what little they had left) all over the world with their constant warmongering - the world has had enough.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Israel is pissing its pants, fearing a recognition of Palestine which could lead to destruction of Israel. Well, at least that is what Zionists believe, they believe in order for Palestine to exist, Israel must be destroyed, before that happens, the biggest supporters of Palestine will be attacked one way or another.

Good luck to Zionists, US can't materially support you for ever, and the fact that the whole region hates you to a point of no return, you better be scared

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Israeli-Turkish relationships are pretty low right now.Turkey is pressing Israel pretty hard since the UN report and the demands to remove the blockade from Gaza are not going to be met. So Israel has to change behaving accordingly and be more assertive too.
But giving the task of this to Libermann... It is like using fuel to fight the fire. I support current Israeli prime minister for most of his desicions, but appointing Liberman - a known populist that plays on ethnic tension - as a foreing minister was a huge mistake. Relationship with Turkey will never be as good as it was. But Liberman have a potential to make it much worse that it should be.
Punishing Turkey... Rhetorics alone show a true "diplomat" at action.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
When you have statements like this:

Lieberman is also planning to set meetings with the heads of Kurdish rebel group PKK in Europe in order to “cooperate with them and boost them in every possible area.”

In these meetings, the Kurds may ask Israel for military aid in the form of training and arms supplies, a move that would constitute a major anti-Turkish position should it materialize.

Now PKK are a designated terrorist organization ?

So Israel wants to help the Kurds after they spent years asking Israel for help ,but Israel ignored them while they had large contracts with Turkey to fulfill.

Liebermans got a big mouth and typical Zionist arrogance ,and is doing nothing other then inflaming the situation being a warmonger.

For the Israeli at ATS ,is this how you view the situation needs to be handled ,fighting talk ,and demands of "show us respect ".

It almost sounds as if Lieberman is saying "do you know who we are"

It's getting very childish don't ya think !

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
All this is coming from Lieberman. Lieberman is a nut. But yeah, he's the foreign minister of Israel... showing how Netanyahu is crazy...

Livni calls on Netanyahu not to allow Lieberman to ‘fuel fire’ between Israel and Turkey (Haaretz)

Yeah like that's gonna happen.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

This once again proves the hypocrasy of Israel, they refuse to recognize Hamas because they say that they are a terrorist organization but they they threaten to give aid to another terrorist organization.

I have always thought of Turkey as a misfit in NATO and not being supported by the other NATO members might be what pushes them to leave NATO.

The question is how integral is Turkey to NATO? Can NATO risk losing Turkey as a signatory?

Turkey might just be the one that unites the middle east. The one reason Israel has had so much power is because the middle east was never able to stand together and provide a united front. But religion can be a very unifying factor and all the islamic countries might decide to stand together to fight the infidels.

Also Israels borders arent so safe anymore since the Egyptian government hasnt been so pro-Israel since the uprising. So therefore I think they find themselves in a precarious situation.

As to what the other big powers would do I dont know, but I think that Russian and China are pretty sick of America and NATO screwing with their oil interests in the middle east and might support Turkey in a confrontation with Israel if only for the sake of resisting American influence in the middle east.

A very scary situation in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Difficult to see how Greece can have any input to any of this. They can hardly stand up straight with a massive IMF loan jammed up their backside. The country is broke. Maybe this is why Turkey thinks it can take advantage of the situation right now. Funny that when you think the zionist banksters with their greed have created a situation which may now lead to the demise of their favourite poodle. Bring it on

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

Israel is pissing its pants, fearing a recognition of Palestine which could lead to destruction of Israel. Well, at least that is what Zionists believe, they believe in order for Palestine to exist, Israel must be destroyed, before that happens, the biggest supporters of Palestine will be attacked one way or another.

Good luck to Zionists, US can't materially support you for ever, and the fact that the whole region hates you to a point of no return, you better be scared

hopefully they will be gone by then, take about 12secs.

agreed?

why are they here so long? why keep a hangnail for years?

the us should cut israel loose and let them do what they have to.

give the pali's a state of their own and watch it get destroyed in a month.

some kind of death wish, i think, and most don't want to play that game.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
+ the new that Turkey will add warship to the new humanitarian mission to gaza
since Israel didnt say sorry for the 9 turkish civilian deaths

its getting bad in the ME

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join