It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'missing link' Found

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Without this interjection, we would all still look like the modern primates, ala gorilla (negroid), chimpanzee (caucasoid) or orangutan (mongoloid).

]

Oh hell.
I am, seriously, aghast!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Great discovery, as for the comments, well it certainly is a shame. Is everything discovered about our past going to boil down to proving religion is right or wrong. Religion is a "belief" so that should say it all, I suggest those of us who understand evolution just see this for what it is and enjoy the discovery. Seriously you will never convince someone they have a wrong/right belief but facts are far easier to dispute strangely.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
According to Sumerian tablets it was the Anunnaki who created humans on Earth

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman

Some believe that the story is really about when humans developed consciousnesses and therefore the ILLOGICAL concept of right and wrong. Or more specifically that we know right and wrong better than God.

That’s all well and good but then how come it took bible god about 100,000 -200,000 years to get around to posting his commandments? (That’s assuming human first evolved 100,000 -200,000 years ago)

there is very good evidence humans where getting along just fine making civilizations and being nice to each other long before bible god showed up - sorry there are just to many holes in your story for me

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Because the growth of technology is not a geometric progression (1, 2, 3...), it is exponential (1, 2, 4, 16...) it begins slowly, but the more that it grows, the faster it grows. This is how we have gone from electronic computers that were the size of small houses to computers that fit in a wristwatch in less than 60 years.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I'm not a religious nutball. I'm not even religious and I question evolution. I wouldn't say I deny it, but question it yes. I question everything. "Fossilized remains" can easily be faked.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Read some of the articles linked above, in this case, they used Uranium decay rates to determine the age of the sediment the fossil was found in.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This is the way I look at it: if you stood your father behind you at arms length, and his father behind him, and his father behind him etc forming a long line going back into distant time. Travel down along maybe about 9/10 miles of this line and you'll see that your ancestors have tails

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
People still believe in that evolution BS.......hahahahahhaa...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I'm still on the fence about evolution being the true answer to our history.

I'm more starting to think everything is being helped along by some force (god if you like) using evolution as it's method, every now an then influencing some major change. Hence the sudden changes of species along the way in Earths history.

Who knows, maybe God is still experimenting with creations and isn't all knowing, but still learning.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Thank you, I actually expected this kind of response. The "need" for God. Christians didn't believe the earth was flat or that a lunar-eclipse was a dragon eating the sun. I don't know where you got that from, not now, and not thousands of years ago. I also don't understand this whole problem of "Christians crediting everything to God". I hear this argument all the time - when Christians don't understand how something works, they say God did it! Well, never fear, science is here to explain how it all works without God.

Actually, until Magellan sailed around the globe, most Christians did believe the earth was flat, as did most other Western peoples, there are still people, Christian and otherwise that believe that the earth is flat. The Flat Earth Society is alive an well.

www.flatearthsociety.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

Originally posted by tinfoilman

Some believe that the story is really about when humans developed consciousnesses and therefore the ILLOGICAL concept of right and wrong. Or more specifically that we know right and wrong better than God.

That’s all well and good but then how come it took bible god about 100,000 -200,000 years to get around to posting his commandments? (That’s assuming human first evolved 100,000 -200,000 years ago)

there is very good evidence humans where getting along just fine making civilizations and being nice to each other long before bible god showed up - sorry there are just to many holes in your story for me

How would that be a hole in my story? That would be a hole in the Bible's story? I didn't write the Bible you know?

But that's off topic. Unless you can show me where in the Bible it says evolution is wrong, or you can explain what the 10 commandments have to do with evolution, I just don't see your point?

Just randomly switching topics won't really help. Stay on your first claim, and we'll finish that first. I would love to answer every question about the Bible you have, but it's 1,000 times easier to do that, if you've actually read it, and I can tell that you have not. So after this, keep the Bible questions focused on evolution to go with the thread. This isn't a place to bring up everything about the Bible you don't understand.

Moses wasn't the first time God handed down those rules. Before that they were called the Seven laws of Noah, and they're also found in Egyptian texts and so forth. That's just when God was repeating them to the Israelites formally as the Israelites , Moses, and God made a new covenant. However, the rules were first given to Adam, Cain, Noah, and so forth.

For example, Cain was the first murderer remember? He was also punished by God for it. However, that doesn't mean everyone in the world knew the rules yet. Moses and the Israelites were slaves, perhaps uneducated, that were just freed. They needed to be taught God's law.

Basically your argument is, Math must have just been invented, because my teacher gave me a new text book LOL. That's a horrible logical fallacy. No, the rules of mathematics already existed. Just like God's law already existed. But to teach you mathematics we got you a new book, and to teach the Israelites the word of God, Moses gave them a new Bible in stone tablet form.

Every time someone prints a new Bible doesn't mean we reinvented the commandments lol. We just rewrote them so people can read them lol. But they existed long before that. en.wikipedia.org...

lol, now I know you think that Moses was the first person that God started giving rules to because that's what the Media has told you. But like I said, the media never read the Bible either. Everyone just reads the cliff notes.

However, again, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is evolution. And I will not go off topic again. If you do, I will assume it is because you can't stay on topic and therefore no point in debating. Don't want to debate everything under the sun. Don't have time for that.

edit on 10-9-2011 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

As you say we are getting off-topic

But my point was if TOE is the fact then Christianity completely fails

It means the talking snake hypothesis is wrong and therefore the whole of Christianity comes tumbling down – including the Jesus bit

And you cannot say TOE and Christianity are both correct without re-writing the bible

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

As you say we are getting off-topic

But my point was if TOE is the fact then Christianity completely fails

It means the talking snake hypothesis is wrong and therefore the whole of Christianity comes tumbling down – including the Jesus bit

And you cannot say TOE and Christianity are both correct without re-writing the bible

I already addressed that issue once. And no, even if there was no talking snake, Christianity does not come tumbling down. Please explain how you figure that?

The story could be allegorical or literal. We don't really know. And even if that wasn't the original sin, like I said, something else would have just been the original sin. Eventually someone would have sinned and that would have been the original. According the Bible it was the apple story.

What I fail to understand, or what you have failed to explain, one of the two, is how you come to the conclusion that since animals can have random mutations in their genes, that automatically means there was no garden, no first farmers, no tree of knowledge, and no serpent in the first place?

Where do you get that idea from? The Bible doesn't say anything about evolution, doesn't go into it. There could have been a garden, a tree, and apple, and evolution could still be true. I fail to understand how they're related?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Ok then I guess it depends on what flavour of Christian you are

If you are the sort of Christian that says there was (probably) no Garden of Eden or talking snake or tree of knowledge or original sin and that Jesus was just some dude who said wouldn’t it be good if everybody was nice to each other – then yes TOE wont be a problem for that kind of Christian

Moving on

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Ok then I guess it depends on what flavour of Christian you are

If you are the sort of Christian that says there was (probably) no Garden of Eden or talking snake or tree of knowledge or original sin and that Jesus was just some dude who said wouldn’t it be good if everybody was nice to each other – then yes TOE wont be a problem for that kind of Christian

Moving on

All along you make the claim that that evolution means there was no garden of eden. But then can't explain why lol? I'm not even saying you're wrong. You may be right. I just want you to explain the logic behind the argument. Instead you resort to ad hominem and insult me? Why bother? Why not just explain the logic behind your argument lol.

But I see what's going on. You just stole a catchy atheist catch phrase off some website or from someone you know and don't really understand the logic behind the argument. It's an argument I've seen posted all over the net. But nobody ever explains it because they have never read the Bible to see why it's not really a good argument and that evolution and the garden story have nothing to do with each other.

I'm not saying they're both true. I'm just saying they both could be. They don't really contradict like the catchy catch phrase suggests they do. But you wouldn't know that. All you know is the catchy catch phrase and have no idea how the person that wrote it came to that conclusion.

That's too bad. My advice is don't just hang posters and slap bumper stickers on your car. Research what the sayings mean first, then decide if you agree with them.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

I conclude this one is just another attempt to prove humans came from an explosion of nothing, that exploded for no apparent reason and we evolved from apes that for some reason are still here today

Wow, you really don't know anything do you? Scientists don't believe that nothing exploded to create the universe; scientists believe that a singularity containing all the matter in the universe expanded faster than the speed of light to give the universe, backed up with more evidence than you theists have of god creating the universe.

Oh, and by the way, what existing materials did god use to make the universe? You mean he made the universe out of nothing?. I thought you said that it was impossible for something to come from nothing?
edit on 10/9/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Except we don't even need fossils to prove the theory of evolution. It is completely watertight. Even if not a single fossil was found, the theory of evolution would still be as true as it is now. Fossils are just a bonus

The genetic evidence that supports it is completely sufficient enough to confirm it's authenticity.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I apologise if you thought it was an attack – but it is a fact that here on ATS there are many different flavours of Christian

Now if my memory serves me – in genesis 2 bible god makes a man out of dust then puts him in a garden – after some high jinks with a woman made out of ribs and talking snake the man gets kicked out of the garden

And that to me doesn’t sound anything like TOE

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

I had to reply to you as I believe in God. I don't think creation was accomplished in 7 24 hr periods though. I could go on and on but I think the most concise way to explain it is to say while I do believe God created things, I haven't ruled out that he didn't use a hammer

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join