It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'missing link' Found

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

The 'missing link' Found

www.theaustralian.com.au

Scientists in South Africa say they have discovered a potential missing link in the evolutionary chain,
after they claim to have found the fossilised remains of our earliest ancestors.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fdf2a34a6f1.jpg[/atsimg]

Until now it was believed that our earliest identifiable ancestors were Homo habilis or Homo rudolfensis, fossils found in East Africa.
But the newly discovered creature, described in five papers in the journal Science today, is several hundred thousand years older.
Prof Lee Berger, from the University of the Witwatersrand
(visit the link for the full news article)
www.telegraph.co... .uk/science/science-video/8751396/The-missing-link-scientists-discover-our-earliest-ancestors.html

edit on 9/9/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This is interesting stuff, I wonder what all the creationists have to say about this one,

www.telegraph.co.uk...

EVIDENCE is mounting that fossils nearly 2 million years old revealed last year are those of the oldest member of the human family.

The creature, named Australopithecus sediba, may even have been the world's first toolmaker,
judging from a detailed study of its hand, the most complete ever found of an ancient hominin, or human-like creature.

Because the remains show a "mosiac" of primitive Australopithecine and more modern hominin traits, he argues, it should be reclassified as Homo sediba,
dumping the current contender for first Homo, Homo habillis. In April last year,
Professor Berger and James Cook University geologist Paul Dirks stunned the scientific world when their group reported the discovery of skeletal remains
of a juvenile male and an adult female at Malapa cave, 50km northwest of Johannesburg.

www.theaustralian.com.au...

www.theaustralian.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I smell a front pager.....Nice find mate

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

This is interesting stuff, I wonder what all the creationists have to say about this one,

Don't bait them into it, they will call the fossils a test of faith or something.

Very interesting post, but is it the Definitive missing link? Or one of many?

S&F OP Great Post.
edit on 9-9-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Here are a few more pics for people interested

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe3685b2153c.jpg[/atsimg]
The skull of Australopithecus sediba may unlock secrets to human evolution. Picture: Brett Eloff, courtesy of Lee Berger and the University of Witwatersrand

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9bcf93d6a436.jpg[/atsimg]
Lee Berger with his son, Matthew, and fossils of Australopithecus sediba. Matthew found one of the fossils while chasing his dog.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b7b1e35a105.jpg[/atsimg]
Dr. Berger held a cast of the hand of the fossilized skeleton, with human and ape features, in Johannesburg on Thursday.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Your probably right.

*Puts on flame retardant jump suit*

Yeah looks like its the real deal, but no doubt people will disagree

Australopithecus sediba, is the most plausible known ancestor of archaic and modern humans. Several other paleoanthropologists, while disagreeing with that interpretation, say the fossils are of great importance anyway, because they elucidate the mix-and-match process by which human evolution was shaped.

Link
edit on 9/9/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: Link

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit

There is really no such thing as a "missing link".
That phrase goes back hundreds of years to an old medieval method of classifying animals on earth, The Great Chain Of Being, and only survives to this day by popular press stupidly putting it in headlines.

The reality is that there are a heap of your ancestors that stretch all the way back to the first life on earth, and none of them can specifically be called "THE" missing link to anything.
Its not a chain.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Don't bait them into it, they will call the fossils a test of faith or something.

S&F OP Great Post.

Okay.............
every few years they pull this #. Half of us don't even believe in evolution anyway, it's either god, aliens, buddha or the lion from narnia that created us.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

S&F OP Great Post.

Okay.............
every few years they pull this #. Half of us don't even believe in evolution anyway, it's either god, aliens, buddha or the lion from narnia that created us.

Half of who,
Speak for yourself buddy
Only religious nut jobs deny evolution
True story

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

S&F OP Great Post.

Okay.............

Half of who,
Speak for yourself buddy
Only religious nut jobs deny evolution
True story

So you believe we evolved in less time than dinosaurs ? That's where the big hole comes in.
I've read most of these theories, they just don't add up.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I'm not sure if we came from Aliens or fossils...but I am interested in this
s&f for great thread

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Dinosaurs have been Dead for 65 million years
So ahh... yeah?

Don't really get what your on about

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It's clear that Human fossil evidence isn't even comparable to what we have on other species. Most mainstream theories claim that is due to the places we chose to live. There are about 2 or 3 of these "missing links" now. They help explain what changes our species has gone through to get where we are now, but one single "missing link" is hardly a missing link at all, it's one tiny little piece of the puzzle. In my personal opinion the gap is proving so hard to fill because our evolutionary progress wasn't completely natural i.e. extraterrestrial intervention.
edit on 9-9-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

There is really no such thing as a "missing link".
That phrase goes back hundreds of years to an old medieval method of classifying animals on earth, The Great Chain Of Being, and only survives to this day by popular press stupidly putting it in headlines.

The reality is that there are a heap of your ancestors that stretch all the way back to the first life on earth, and none of them can specifically be called "THE" missing link to anything.
Its not a chain.

Awww, c'mon! Next you're going to try to convince us that the Underground Railroad wasn't a train. Do you take us for fools?

edit on 9-9-2011 by tjack because: I added the little winky guy to show I'm just kidding around.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

A TWO-million-year-old mystery about the origins of humans has been cracked by Melbourne scientists. Researchers used the world's best dating equipment at Melbourne University to calculate the age of fossils found in a South African cave. The answer was 1.98 million years - give or take 3000 years. The fossils, discovered in 2008, are believed to be the missing link between apes and humans.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dce91231bf94.jpg[/atsimg]
Better quality Image Here

Until now it was believed that our earliest identifiable ancestors were Homo habilis or Homo rudolfensis, fossils found in East Africa. But the newly discovered creature, described in five papers in the journal Science today, is several hundred thousand years older.

melbourne-researchers-uncover- missing-link

Decade of Discoveries

2001: Three previously unknown prehuman species arev discovered in Africa, dating back almost six million years.

2003: The oldest known fossils of modern humans, Homo sapiens, are found in Africa, dating back 160,000 years.

2006: The remains of a 4.2-million-year-old prehuman species, Australopithecus anamensis, are found in an area of Ethiopia, where seven other human-like species also once lived.

2008: The first fossil of Australopithecus sediba, dating back almost two million years, is found by a 9-year-old boy in South Africa.

2009: A 4.4-million-year-old skeleton of an early human ancestor called Ardipithecus ramidus is unveiled after a decade of study.

2010: The earliest fossil evidence of modern humans in eastern Asia is found, dating back at least 100,000 years.
W.S.J.
edit on 9/9/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: Pics

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherryV
s&f for great thread

Another point for the Ancient Alien theory!!!

It should be undeniable at this point.

Our 'missing link' is the race of beings that genetically engineered their DNA with primate DNA.

Humans, per say cannot effectively be traced back to a pure species. Thats why our DNA is 96% primate, and 4% 'missing link'.

I'll go deeper into this later today.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Uhh there is no single missing link.

There is THOUSANDS or more of missing links.

Forbidden Archeology

edit on 9-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by CherryV
s&f for great thread

Another point for the Ancient Alien theory!!!

It should be undeniable at this point.

Our 'missing link' is the race of beings that genetically engineered their DNA with primate DNA.

Humans, per say cannot effectively be traced back to a pure species. Thats why our DNA is 96% primate, and 4% 'missing link'.

I'll go deeper into this later today.

Amen, OP is trying to make this stick and it's not sticking. I know dinosaurs have been dead for over 65 million years but we supposedly evolved in less time then them ? What makes us so bloody special ?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I agree with other posters that there is no missing link. Evolution is more like a bush than a straight line. It will be interesting to see if this fossil gets renamed to Homo sediba. It would be the oldest member found so far of the same genus as us (Homo Sapiens). It does appear that it's hands were more capable of tool making than even Homo habilis, the "Handy Man".

The most successful member of this human family is still Homo Erectus. It lived between 1.8 mya to perhaps as late as 50,000 years ago ( Homo erectus soloensis )

Homo Erectus also had tools and fire (yes Promethus gave Homo Erectus fire, not us).

Our species (Homo Sapiens) has only been around for 200,000 years or so. Ask me again in 1.8 million years.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I wouldn't be so cock sure of how we did or didn't develop as some of the posters here.

An open mind is probably the only way to approach this subject as we are obviously a long way from knowing anything "for sure". We are getting more and better information all the time, but still don't have enough of the puzzle to come to any absolute conclusions; except of course that the biblical story is just that, a story.
edit on 9/9/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join