It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else getting Error 503? (DOS attack)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
While the 503 issue seems gone, is anyone else noticing that if you ar on the auto-refreshing Realtime ATS activity, if you first load it, it's current topics. But if it auto refreshes, it is listing topics from hours ago, before the 503 errors were being investigated.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So... exactly how many times does the 'site owner' have to tell
us that it was a ddos? I mean, I clearly have seen it at least twice.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Any prime suspects yet, or would that be above above top secret?

Did the attack possibly originate from foreign computers?

Just curious.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

My information says site maintenance causes this error response. It is provided by the site operator when they are working on something and can't handle more than simple traffic, ie reading and not responding to threads.

I notice this as well as the newest flags and active new topics feed has not changed in about 8 - 10 hours.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Glad it's not just me, it's been like that since I got to work this morning and I figured something was wrong with my computer at first. ( Not real computer savvy, obviously!
)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Thanks MODs for adding that to the title, I did not want to come right out and say that it felt and looked like a DOS...HA I was right there was an issue, it did seem a little to frequent.. So there it is DOS...I wonder how much more we will be seeing these types of attacks happening on independent news sites. Sweet thanks for all who made awareness happen by confirmation of anomaly!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Any prime suspects yet, or would that be above above top secret?

Did the attack possibly originate from foreign computers?

Just curious.

I am alittle curious about that too hopefully we can use this thread to put up that info. So if anyone has ideas...good ones please link them here. I will be gone all weekend so if I don't post it isn't that I disagree or don't care.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

It appears to be a bona-fide denial of service attack from compromised computers in the US.

Our support/security service has identified and blocked the IP range.
edit on 9-9-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

From U.S Computers eh?? Well we are Sh@ts aren't we. I am wondering if the scale with which this was carried out if it wasn't a test run for mass censorship in case of emergency, considering ATS was not the only service that was experiencing the same problems. Because there is one thing that can be said about AltNews services...We do not stop, we always watch, and we talk to each other outside of what our Gov try to shove down our throats.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardyWhite
So... exactly how many times does the 'site owner' have to tell
us that it was a ddos? I mean, I clearly have seen it at least twice.

I started this thread last night sir, I nothing to do with the site owner. I just wanted corroboration from other users.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't mind you started the thread! I was hoping someone would.

My point is that within the first two pages, the site owner stated that it was a ddos.
And even showed what thread page was targeted.

Yet, people are still trying to figure out what happened...

Edit - site owner stated three times on page 2.
edit on 9/9/2011 by HardyWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardyWhite
I don't mind you started the thread! I was hoping someone would.

My point is that within the first two pages, the site owner stated that it was a ddos.
And even showed what thread page was targeted.

Yet, people are still trying to figure out what happened...

Edit - site owner stated three times on page 2.
edit on 9/9/2011 by HardyWhite because: (no reason given)

Ah Ok that makes more sense... Perhaps it isnt that others are trying to "Figure out" what happened as much as the Who and Why that have yet to be answered. I for one am very interested... there seems to be a few to many coincidences happening with electronic communication and data transfer the last few days...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
Yes been having it just now. Not a conspiracy though, just seems like server problems. Believe it or not the internet isn't perfect! I know its a conspiracy site but come on and 1, 2, 3 and relaX

Sometimes, just sometimes...It is what we think it is
If there were no conspiracies there would be no conspiracy theorists.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yep, last night around 1:00am central time I got the 503 error code. I checked other sites to see if it was unique to ATS and it was. I was going to say it could have something to do with the black outs, but then why is ATS the only site effected.

Why would anon target ATS?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
yeah got the 503s this afternoon at office

dunno, with those creepy power outages, and recent hype on moon travel, i just have the feeling something big is about to happen and this might the site where that big event is spilled on
edit on 9-9-2011 by nagabonar because: nwo mega plan about to happen?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jward01

Why would anon target ATS?

Why would the government target ATS? there's your answer.

I still can't grasp why more people haven't caught on.

Anon = TPTB.

Or do you honestly think that a group purporting to be all about freedom of the internet and privacy, would do every single thing the government NEEDS them to do, to ram through restrictive legislation?

I can't be the only guy that figured this out, actually, I know I'm not, plenty of others have said similar things here on ATS. There's another possible motive.

But. would anon resort to using a half-assed botnet all from a single isp? the entire point of a botnet, when relating to DDoS, is to have connections coming from all over, making it much harder to stop. All from a single central ISP? That's amateur hour right there folks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is nothing more than an attack by a disgruntled ATS user who quite possibly worked for the road runner ISP.

--

seeing as people are reading the thread title, then going right to the last page, lets clear this up:

This indeed was a Denial of Service attack. According to the site staff the attack consisted of massive requests for a single thread, coming from potentially compromised computers originating from within the US, apparently all using Road runner as an isp.

It doesn't matter where you are or what computer you were on, while the attack was underway, you'd get errors as the server that hosts the site was inundated with requests for a single thread, so many, that it literally can't process anything else, hence denial of service.

edit on 9-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

It appears to be a bona-fide denial of service attack from compromised computers in the US.

Our support/security service has identified and blocked the IP range.
edit on 9-9-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

Wow.. really? So.. that fancy ATS page that pops up the one saying Something isn't going according to plan and you have to check with the home office in Langley Va. and that it was a failed hard drive and it was being replaced - was a ruse? ( that was a generic page and the info was just to pacify for the moment?)

Of course the bottom of that page Did say No matter what is posted here People will jump to conclusions of ATS being attacked - and Now The Site Owner states that yes, ATS was in fact under attack.. - Hey.. are you spreading Disinfo?

I really like those cool looking pages - Bravo on the design.
edit on 9-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by jward01

This indeed was a Denial of Service attack. According to the site staff the attack consisted of massive requests for a single thread, coming from potentially compromised computers originating from within the US, apparently all using Road runner as an isp.

edit on 9-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

what is that single thread about to which the DOS was directed to? Or link?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

Fully agreed.

Even demonoid is down... D:

I have a certain somberness...
which leads me to think something bigger is happening here.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nagabonar

what is that single thread about to which the DOS was directed to? Or link?

It was a thread about scientific evidence regarding elenin...
Whatever that means...

Okay, I admit it.. I read the thread. And I enjoyed it. Yeah.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
does anyone have the link to the thread that was targeted?

Id like to check it out see if there was anything extra special about its usualy garble.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join