It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Unemployment: Canada Sees 'Dramatic Growth' In American Job-Seekers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

titianmedia.ca

TORONTO, Canada — Usually, you hear stories of people fleeing to America, not the other way around.

But the jittery state of the U.S. economy is driving an increasing number of its citizens to seek better prospects north of the border.

Americans are the latest economic refugees, and they’re heading to Canada.

As he prepares to campaign for re-election, U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to make a speech Thursday night that calls for immediate stimulus spending to create jobs and improve infrastructure.

But those reforms will be difficult to make. Republicans, who control the House of Representatives, have resisted any efforts to boost the economy through additional spending.

As life in the U.S. worsens, prospects in Canada seem all the brighter.

Canadian officials say the number of Americans applying for temporary work visas doubled between 2008 and 2010.

Immigration lawyers in Toronto and the border city of Windsor, right across from job-starved Detroit, say they’re seeing a dramatic growth in clients seeking to come to Canada to work, or even as permanent residents.

So, is this a reversal of fortunes on an historic scale? Has Canada become “el Norte”?

edit on 8-9-2011 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well, after many years of people saying that they've had enough and are moving to Canada from the States, it seems to be coming true.

Looks like some are taking the old American mantra "If you don't like it leave" for real, except for other reasons than just political.....jobs / money / education.

Personally I think Canada is in MUCH better shape, but if you love your country, wouldn't you want to stay and fix it or is the state of affairs in the States so bad, that there is no foreseeable hope in sight?

PS leave your guns behind

titianmedia.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ill never leave I do not believe in Leaving. Though I made a satire post about Canada Yesterday so I do not think I am welcome any longer haha.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old77
Ill never leave I do not believe in Leaving. Though I made a satire post about Canada Yesterday so I do not think I am welcome any longer haha.

Canadians are pretty forgiving, just look at our election history. We give some of the biggest idiots second chances...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector

titianmedia.ca

TORONTO, Canada — Usually, you hear stories of people fleeing to America, not the other way around.

But the jittery state of the U.S. economy is driving an increasing number of its citizens to seek better prospects north of the border.

Americans are the latest economic refugees, and they’re heading to Canada.

As he prepares to campaign for re-election, U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to make a speech Thursday night that calls for immediate stimulus spending to create jobs and improve infrastructure.

But those reforms will be difficult to make. Republicans, who control the House of Representatives, have resisted any efforts to boost the economy through additional spending.

As life in the U.S. worsens, prospects in Canada seem all the brighter.

Canadian officials say the number of Americans applying for temporary work visas doubled between 2008 and 2010.

Immigration lawyers in Toronto and the border city of Windsor, right across from job-starved Detroit, say they’re seeing a dramatic growth in clients seeking to come to Canada to work, or even as permanent residents.

So, is this a reversal of fortunes on an historic scale? Has Canada become “el Norte”?

Oh I love this. Kind of shoots the "LAZY AMERICAN" stereotype all to hell, now doesn't it?
Yes we are so lazy we won't even go looking across borders for jobs...what a load of BS!!!! Now tell me how are we lazy when we are doing everything possible to get a job but the corporate facists have put us on a starvation diet?
edit on 8-9-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Not sure what your going on about. There's no malice / stereo typing intended......simply some interesting current statistics

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well take it from someone that was born and raised in Canada . The BS in the states does happen here also , the stuffed shirts make sure they pad the office positions while they cut the workers jobs and cry that they need to cut their budgets . So if your American looking for work in Canada , do not be surprised when they say bye to your positions here . It is nothing personal from one blue collar worker to another .

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Connector

No Not here on this thread just the basic stereotype I see portrayed here daily that Americans are lazy and don't want to work, I was commenting on how that stereotype is shot to hell because if we were so lazy wanted handouts, etc...we would not be seeing this mass exodus to Canada for Jobs that was my point.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

No Not here on this thread just the basic stereotype I see portrayed here daily that Americans are lazy and don't want to work, I was commenting on how that stereotype is shot to hell because if we were so lazy wanted handouts, etc...we would not be seeing this mass exodus to Canada for Jobs that was my point.

Ahhh understood....satire can be subtle over the interwebs in these politically charged times

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This just hilarious, while we have illegal immigrants moving into the US looking for work now Americans are leaving the US to look for work in Canada.

I wonder, how is the illegal immigration in Canada?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This just hilarious, while we have illegal immigrants moving into the US looking for work now Americans are leaving the US to look for work in Canada.

I wonder, how is the illegal immigration in Canada?

Perhaps it's going back to the old days...migration, following the 21first century bison......back and forth.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
That's good, as long as people are finding employment.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

To be honest, we already have far too many gun-toting foreigners in Canada as it is. Wouldn't Mexico be a far better option for Americans? They seem to enjoy fire-fights down there, so I'm sure they'd feel right at home too!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
www.bennettjones.com...

www.immigrationwatchcanada.org... or-the-recovery/

Food for thought .
edit on 9-9-2011 by watchdog8110 because: addition info

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog8110
www.bennettjones.com...

www.immigrationwatchcanada.org... or-the-recovery/

Food for thought .
edit on 9-9-2011 by watchdog8110 because: addition info

Thanks for the additional info and links

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Im surprised Canada is entertaining all these economic immigrants from the South. Canada needs to build a wall ASAP before its too late.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Canada better secure its borders soon.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well look at at the prairies then you'll see a very deserted area of the border, the thing is that of course people will come here, if the economic landscape isn't the best

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Canada better secure its borders soon.

Why we are actually going about it the legal way (according to this article) we aren;t crossing your borders in the dead of night like mexicans constantly are doing to us. We are actually asking for economic asylum, but maybe we should just start sneaking into mexico and take the jobs at GM now that would be poetic justice!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

If Americans are willing to work for the equivalent of a price of a can of beans per hour, that is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join