It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm tired of rude posts!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I call it "post rage". Similar to "road rage". Some people become an ass when they get behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. And others become an ass when they have access to a keyboard, and a little anonymity.

So true, people say things they would never say face-to-face. Most people can be quite civil when discussing differences of opinion in person, but most people are raving loons when discussing differences of opinion online. Email is evil too. I was working in the corporate world long before we had email and let me tell you, email has created more crapstorms among coworkers, clients, contractors, etc. than ever existed back in the day when you had to call people or meet them face-to-face to discuss issues.

Originally posted by Klassified
As to the grammar police. .

I think many of us tend to forget that this is an international community and many people who post here can barely communicate in English. Certainly they should not be held to the same standard as a native English speaker. The problem is that most people don't list where they are from in their profile, so it's hard to tell who deserves to be reprimanded and who doesn't. Some posts are so sloppily written that they're painful to read, but since I don't know if the poster speaks English or not I don't criticize them for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
reply to post by silent thunder

Why purposely pollute the board though? People can still rant in someone elses thread and get it off their chest.

But that, imo, makes the threads decline in quality. I would much rather have people post on-topic relevant thoughts in threads.

I feel like for every thread I want to read, I have to wade through a bunch of 'rant posts' that are vaguely on topic, and add nothing to the discussion at all.

At least, if they post a rant in the rant section, I can avoid it, but if they rant in a thread I want to read then I have to waste time scanning it while trying to find posts that actually have some substance to them. So I am happy to have people rant in the rant section, as opposed to in the thread!

And as to the rude and insulting posts, I used to assume that the poster thought they were being funny, and I figured they didn't realize that other people didn't find it so humorous.... but then I noticed all the stars that those rude posts got, and figured out that perhaps I am just in the minority!

edit on 9-9-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by EspyderMan

I can and do handle people of differing opinions....that doesn't bother me....I like a healthy debate. I am talking about people that are deliberately cruel .....I don't like it and I never will....but I do handle it... and I belong on a discussion board if I so choose to be on one. I think it is ok to complain once in a while...after all that is what the (ranting forum) is for.

Complaining about it serves no purpose but to create negativity feeding the flames even further. What some consider to be rude, others call blunt and to the point.
I often am blunt, in person and behind the keyboard. What I would say here would be said in person as well as I am the type to always look to both sides. I tend to play devils advocate and often people get upset because it doesn't follow their logic.

What I don't understand is why people read things and take them to heart as much as they do. Shrug it off and move on. You said you handle it? The way it's handled is by ranting about rude people? What's the point, it won't change a thing, acceptance is the first step towards happiness.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

This is the (ranting forum)...I joined in and (verbally vented)....I (let off some steam) as the saying goes....it is ok to do that ......

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

I liked it when we could hit "enemy" and just delete rude posts.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

This is the (ranting forum)...I joined in and (verbally vented)....I (let off some steam) as the saying goes....it is ok to do that ......

I never said it wasn't ok...all the power to you. I am allowed to give my opinion to your rant considering its public and all. My opinion hasn't changed even with your responses.

Let it go.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I have enjoyed debating with you...it was fun!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Misery loves company.

Miserable people talk to others online, to share their misery.

It's kind of sad, I'd feel bad for them if I didn't want to break their nose with my elbow.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Dont take it personal and don't make it personal.

People forget that there is an art to debate. And lets be honest...some people are just obnoxious...internet or not. General politeness is a dying art and because people just love to take personal offense at the actions of others even if there is no need, it seems only right to these angry folks to make sure they express their displeasure. Thats what you get in an ego based society. Everyone is very much concerned with meeting the needs of their own mania. "I think what he said was stupid so I simply MUST tell him. He MUST know how stupid I think he is or I just won't be able to sleep tonight." And satisfying one's own needs in that regard is often done without care for how it may effect others...also known as talkin out yer a**.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo
I mean seriously!
If all you can bring to a thread is ..."Change your lifestyle, quit blaming others. " Don't even bother posting!
I see more and more of this every day and it's just out of control.
You are NOT bringing anything useful to the thread so just don't bring it at all.

So you'd rather all replies be sycophants and not challenge your ideas? I'm tired of rude posts as well. For example, I'm tired of people blaming others for their own situations. Recently there was a guy who was quite angry that he could not easily get subsidized government-supported housing. He thought it was his right to suck at the teat of the taxpayer. Another guy railed against the country and everything it stood for. Turns out he's on disability. About half the disability issues are fake. I don't know if his is, but the system is mightily abused. There are many examples, but you get the picture. Every time I read another "I am entitled!" post I think that is rude, self-serving, egotistical, and an epic fail.

So, you see, I think it is quite valuable for Poster X to realize that not everyone shares his view of the world and that maybe (just maybe) he's in charge of his own destiny and his actions and choices have determined where he is at and that NOBODY, government or individual, owes him anything.

I think this is a really important point to keep repeating. We collectively seem to have lost our ability to fend for ourselves. I say this also looking at myself and what I have and have not done. Frankly, I haven't done very well by what I'm espousing now and I kind of regret it. We continually complain about corporations or TPTB "enslaving" us while at the same time knocking on their doors wanting to be let in. We can't wait to be slaves; we just want to be well-paid slaves--live in the house rather than the barn.

Rather than beat on the doors I wish I had simply started my own business years ago. Why? So I would never again have to depend upon my livlihood from a psychotic boss or a dysfunctional institution. Sure there might be a demanding customer or two. Hopefully there would be enough good ones that I wouldn't have to worry about the bad ones. And with that comes an amazing sense of freedom.

Of course, it takes work. Sorry. But if you can catch just a glimmer of an idea that maybe you CAN make the changes necessary to create your own destiny. Maybe you CAN get yourself away from the defeatist attitude of "I can't do this. I can't afford this." to the point that you realize it is not so much a matter of resources, but of your own attitude, then that is a step forward--for you.

You choose to bring issues to a public forum. You well know that you cannot select the answers you will receive. This is not your own personal blog where you get to delete comments you don't like. If you really want everyone to agree with you, that might be an alternative for you. Then you can pretend everyone agrees with you. You can live in your own little world and life will be grand.

But it's a bit of a sheltered life, kind of like a ship in port. It's safe, but you don't get very far.
edit on 9/9/2011 by schuyler because: typos, which I choose to fix rather than look like an idiot.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I know of the person the op is referring to, and a very prolific troll indeed he's been.

I'm sure they'll get bored of laughing at members here soon enough...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join