It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman sues over son born disabled 'wrongful life' would have aborted pregnancy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

That video made me cry.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Every day we are inspired by stories of people who manage to make a life for themselves despite all sorts of obstacles, physical handicaps included....but to raise a child with severe physical limitations takes the mental fortitude of a warrior and many people just arent cut out for it. Whether that makes them bad people could be a matter of debate I suppose but its important to know thyself. Many parents of handicapped children have to attend support groups and that still may not keep the resentment at bay. Should a parent resent a severely handicapped child because there will be no way for it to ever care for itself without help, even as an adult? Of course not...but humans are funny that way and often do. And then you move on to things like abuse...neglect...and again...where is the quality of life. The fact that they would have aborted had they known their child was aesthetically compromised is not necessarily commendable but they knew themselves well enough to know that raising a child with such a severe issue was not something they wanted. What they do from here will determine a lot and maybe help them realize a few things but I can't immediately pass judgment on their stance. Theirs is a heavy cross to bear.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Originally posted by slowisfast
These are the sort of lawsuits that make it impossible for us to get this country's health care costs down. It breaks my heart that this family has to go through such an emotionally tough time..it breaks my heart even more that this child might learn that their own parents not only didnt want them because theu werent born perfect. Sounds like the parents have had every opportunity to perform certain tests that could have ruled out deformity but chose not to. If it was of a paramount concern one would reason that they would exhaust all options of finding out the health status of their child. They didn't. Thanks for being part of the problem, Florida parents.

Who said anything about the parents not wanting the child because it "wasn't born perfect"? Being born without three limbs, is far, far from perfect. That's an asinine assumption on your part.

Did it cross your mind they might not want the child to face such a long and difficult life?

Where is my asinine assumption?
The parents stated they would have aborted....and they filed a ridiculous lawsuit.(because their newborn wasn't perfect)

No parent wants their child to seemingly face a difficult life. I have a couple friends that were devastated(initially) that their son was born with Down's Syndrome. Now, seven years later, they would attest to the all out blessing that their kid has been to their lives.

However, with your thinking, we shouldn't even let these children have a chance at life because of their physical/mental handicaps. It might be too tough for them.

Life is hard, facing life with a disability is even more difficult....but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a chance.

Plus: Bryan has a life expectancy of 70 years. Outside of the missing limbs it says nothing of mental handicap. This kid has his whole life ahead of him and you think it should have been over before it began. This kid could have an IQ of 180 and change the world.(based on the actions of his parents it might be more like a solid 92)
edit on 8-9-2011 by slowisfast because: addition.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
With an attitude as that, these people shouldn't be
breeding in the 1rst place.

. . . counter-sue them for bad parenting

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Law requires a doctor to inform a patient, or the responsible parties, of all risks associated with any medical procedure (called informed consent). And then they must sign a waiver accepting these risks, or refuse the procedure. They refused. As far as the amniocentesis is concerned, end of discussion. Suggesting that he was being subversive in informing them of the 1 in 500 chance of damage to the fetus is pretty uninformed.

That doesn't, of course, speak to the ultrasounds. Without seeing them we can't know what they show, which could be 4 limbs or none. When my wife was pregnant, an early ultrasound showed undeniable proof that our child was fathered by a Grey alien, big head, black elongated eyes, and all!

Ultrasounds aren't perfect, unfortunately. If incompetence is found in reading the ultrasounds, this probably won't go well for that doctor.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

These are the sort of lawsuits that make it impossible for us to get this country's health care costs down. It breaks my heart that this family has to go through such an emotionally tough time..it breaks my heart even more that this child might learn that their own parents not only didnt want them because theu werent born perfect. Sounds like the parents have had every opportunity to perform certain tests that could have ruled out deformity but chose not to. If it was of a paramount concern one would reason that they would exhaust all options of finding out the health status of their child. They didn't. Thanks for being part of the problem, Florida parents.

Who said anything about the parents not wanting the child because it "wasn't born perfect"? Being born without three limbs, is far, far from perfect. That's an asinine assumption on your part.

Did it cross your mind they might not want the child to face such a long and difficult life?

Umm apparently the parents would have aborted had they known about the disability. Thus the lawsuit claiming negligence in testing. Otherwise they have no case at all, since the MD had nothing to do with the disability itself. The disability is not a result from the delivery.

Don't think you get what I'm talking about.
edit on 9-9-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Where is my asinine assumption?
The parents stated they would have aborted....and they filed a ridiculous lawsuit.(because their newborn wasn't perfect)

No parent wants their child to seemingly face a difficult life. I have a couple friends that were devastated(initially) that their son was born with Down's Syndrome. Now, seven years later, they would attest to the all out blessing that their kid has been to their lives.

However, with your thinking, we shouldn't even let these children have a chance at life because of their physical/mental handicaps. It might be too tough for them.

Life is hard, facing life with a disability is even more difficult....but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a chance.

Plus: Bryan has a life expectancy of 70 years. Outside of the missing limbs it says nothing of mental handicap. This kid has his whole life ahead of him and you think it should have been over before it began. This kid could have an IQ of 180 and change the world.(based on the actions of his parents it might be more like a solid 92)
edit on 8-9-2011 by slowisfast because: addition.

What the hell are you talking about? I never condoned anything relating to this thread. I haven't stated my opinion. I only commented on what you said about them not wanting the child because he wasn't perfect. Perfect, is a far, far cry from his condition. That's what I said. I said nothing about agreeing or disagreeing.

So what are you responding to?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
And yet people condemn Sarah Palin for not only keeping her Down syndrome baby but for quitting her dayjob after being attacked viciously by the MSM and the leftists, and those stupid petty lawsuits. People still condemn her and call her ra quitter, and even criticize her books, and yet she has always borne her sufferance with ultra class.

All I can is people are nincompoops.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I truly hope the parents do the right thing and allow the child to be adopted by parents that will actually love him.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

This mother is one 'wicked' woman.

What will the child think of the mother later on in life when this law suit becomes known to the child?

That is going to, largely, depend upon how the parents raise the child. I was born 2 months premature. I died more than a few times during delivery - and my dad was pretty much prepared for a stillborn. Neither of them wanted my delivery to be like that, or wanted me to have to face the raw statistics against my living a normal life (premies are known for having bad immune systems, poor physical development, retardation, etc).

Had they known of the infection that lead to my premature birth - they would have done something about it to change the circumstances of my birth.

This is really not that much different. My parents did what they could with what they were given, always trying to make decisions that were in my best interest.

I can agree that suffering mental disability, physical disability, etc would be something that is not in my best interest - and if my parents knew about such a disability before I was born - I would not fault them for choosing to not have me.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Palin should be commended for keeping her son. SHe should be criticized for quitting her job so she could take another one, being on tv.

ETA: But we are both getting off-topic.
edit on 9-9-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

if i had used the words 'anything less than a normal, healthy, baby boy' instead of perfect, would that have worked for you? because that was my intent with the word. i'm sorry you didn't get that.

i'm very much aware that missing three limbs is a far cry from perfect but thanks for point that out.

i'm just trying to understand why you would involve yourself in this thread then. you said you hadn't commented or given your opinion on the OP yet you stopped by just to inform me that I made an asinine assumption that the parents wouldn't have had their child because it wasn't 'a normal, healthy, baby boy'?

Ana Mejia and Rodolfo Santana claimed they would have never have brought their son, Bryan, into the world had they known

Are you going to comment on the thread at hand?
edit on 9-9-2011 by slowisfast because: addition

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Yes, I did get what you are saying. It's relative how much the child is disabled. I will say that no one understands the pain but people who have experienced something of equal pain. They are however trying to pin the blame on the doc to get money, they are in essence blaming the doctor for their child's disability. The law of karma works in mysterious ways. .
edit on 9-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

You know, you're right. The parents should have decided FOR THE CHILD that he would lead a "difficult life." I just wish they would have found a genetic marker for Steven Hawking, he's so ugly! His life is tremendously difficult, not worth all of that time and money that gets spent on him. And that robotic voice is so disturbing.

Kidding of course.

What do you know about disability? I'm guessing not a lot considering there are many people with disabilities similar to this child's that have very fulfilled lives (it's a simple Youtube search www.youtube.com...).

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In the old days, and probably in current times, caring doctors often assessed a situation and acted discretely and mercifully to end suffering. These days, however, there are a lot of people who are unrealistic about the horrors of life, and make it difficult for doctors and other caregivers to provide that service. It's a shame, really.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join