It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a stump arrow tip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27a33cb85a89.jpg[/atsimg]

the picture you see above is of a stump arrow tip...
I know, i know... whats it for...

well we archers esp hunters like to test our range before we have to make that big money shot...
to do that any ole tree stump will do... however... not all tree stumps are created equal... some harder than others and carbon shaft arrows do not hold up well when striking hard woods... thus this handy dandy little device...

basically it has a large frontal area as well as some form of spring to reduce the impact... thus saving you from having to buy more arrow shafts..... pretty cool idea uh???
edit on 8-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Definitly the most random thing ive read today

Bows dont get much coverage compared to guns, but boy do they work just fine! (usually better than bullets) A natty little attachment fo sure.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Way cool idea. And you had me completely stumped lol

Thought it was a bird tip of some sort. We used to use blunts when I was a kid. Grouse and pheasants.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

From what I remember...This is a "stun" arrowhead....Kind of like a rubber bullet. Mainly used to stun critters to keep them at bay or out of your yard instead of killing them. I could be wrong!

After looking it up....its supposed to be for small game. Stump shooting can damage any arrow no matter what point is on it.
edit on 8-9-2011 by DisturbedToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

Nope stun arrows are kind of a myth... or marketing ploy
do a google on stump arrows and your find these babies offered for sale

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
at first it looked like a tiny bear trap to me!!!

2nd

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

you spelled THIS wrong in your thread title..

but i still thank you for showing me this..

really cool looking tip...

looks like an alien spaceship...lol...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

thanks for the heads up
noted and corrected ty

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Seems to me to be a stupid un-need extra weight to lug around.

1> why test your range by hitting a tree?
There would be better alternatives that wont break the arrow.
Would not the range differ between a hunting arrow and an arrow with this non-areodynamic head?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

So is it one tip for all, heavy compound bows too? Also, when trying for distance and accuracy, do these behave similarly enough to an actual arrow to get same results?
My buddy told me of this little gem: HERE and said he uses the heck out of it and it has no big holes in it. The portability and durability seem pretty good. Granted they are a hundred bones, but it seems you get your money's worth, plus you could keep it in the trunk or backpack with it.
Cool stuff DB

spec
edit on 8-9-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

that is cool...

as for why the stump arrow tip... its just to save your carbon arrow shafts... protects them as they get pretty pricy too...lessens the impact when praticing... thats all

on and yeah I used these when playing with my Z7
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c2309ede566.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

shooting under real word conditions changes with place... say if I'm up in a tree stand shooting down at a target... my aim point is different than if I was standing on flat open ground...

just an inch off the mark makes a huge difference... so we...I... like to make a few test shoots first...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Holy moly that is one sweet set up Bare!! I really dig that! Makes me want to get back into it, both for survival and fun!

spec

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
That's pretty cool. I've never seen that before. Usually I just use some of my older, cheap arrows with crappy practice tips on them.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Nice bow Bare. Mathews makes a h*ll of a bow, I was just given a Jewel by my brother and haven't had a chance to drop anything with it yet but target shooting it is super sweet. Just curious because of your avatar as to whether you do any primative bow hunting? I take my sons every year during archery season and we mostly primitive hunt, I find it really exciting and it has the bonus of teaching my son's some survival skills though they still don't have the knapping down yet.

Although I get a lot of laughs when people see me using it I still have my first Bear White tail Hunter and still love shooting that bow to this day. Plus it works great with wooden shafts and stone points. I really love small game and fowl hunting with it because it's not nearly as fast as my PSE X-Force.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
um are you sure those arrow heads arnt for small game, birds and rats and stuff?

I didnt know people like to shoot into wood with them?

I r a lil' confused

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Very nice! Wished I had one some time back! Missed the target and the arrow stucked in a tree. Would not come out! So I bented the thing up and now it is where I hang one of my bird feeders on.. Oh well

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I am an archer/bowhunter of 23 years experience and I am telling you right now if you are to shoot any arrow shaft, be it wood, carbon or aluminum, into a stump with a bow of sufficient draw weight to legally hunt deer you are going to destroy the shaft no matter what type tip you use. I know this from solid, real world experience. the tip you display is designed for small game hunting only. that tiny little spring is not designed to protect your shaft from impact damage and it wont. it is designed to close that little claw on impact so the tip will grab onto grass, twigs, soil etc... to flip the shaft vertically making it easier to find and retrieve your arrow after the shot. arrows are expensive and you are going to cost some dumb kid a ton of cash by irresponsibly posting such fallacy as this!

this info is directly from the manufacturer's marketing folks... "The Judo Points are a favorite among small-game hunters. These judo points feature small spring arms that snag on grass, brush or the ground on impact to flip your arrow up vertically to reduce loss."

www.cabelas.com...|/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104237280/i/103972680/ Zwickey-Judo-Points-150-135-grain/744865.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/hunting-archery-broadheads-points-specialty-broadheads-field-points/_/N-11000 30
edit on 8-9-2011 by slimmerpickens because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
sounds like there are multiple uses for these. nice.
Ive never thought about using these for guaging range when getting ready for hunting season.
Probably save me some lost/broken arrows.

I love improvisation!

new topics

top topics

join