It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Jobs Act/what do you think?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Don't know if anyone is listening to President Obama addressing Congress on his jobs plan.Sounds like a lot of tax incentives or tax breaks for small business.
Although he did mention rebuilding our transporataion infrastructure and reducing the deficit all at the same time.Cutting tax loopholes for billionaires or putting teachers back to work.He said this is not class warfare.The American jobs Act is an immediate relief for those seeking jobs.

Hogwash or possiblity?

edit on 8-9-2011 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Obama has proven that he and his economic team have no clue how to increase jobs. After nearly 4 years they've done nothing so to assume they finally figured it out would be a mistake.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hogwash. I could not even listen to the guy. His constant BS makes me want to puke. I can't wait until we are rid of this empty suit.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Barrack Oblablablablablablablablama

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
sounded like he wants more money, more debt, too. so, americans are tired of the ridiculous debt but if we don't get more debt then we can't give these americans jobs fixing schools!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
bwa hahahahahahaha

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have to think of it as comedy in order to successfully listen while maintaining my sanity. Every word is a lie. The truth is the exact opposite of everything he says - without exception so far. I'm trying hard to find one exception...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Republicans have been saying all week that they aren't going to listen to it. And they've been saying all week how it won't work before they even heard what's in the bill...

What he says would work..if people actually would listen to it and pass it.(And if what he says is actually in the bill, so this is assuming there's no conspiracy.)

But the Republican controlled Congress won't pass it because they are stubborn as mules. Plus, their corporate overlords won't allow them to increase taxes on the rich.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HundredthMonkey
I have to think of it as comedy in order to successfully listen while maintaining my sanity. Every word is a lie. The truth is the exact opposite of everything he says - without exception so far. I'm trying hard to find one exception...

Have to agree with you on that one.The sad thing is is he saying the truth to some degree,,and that's what gets people behind him.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think it could work IF both party do their part towards its common goal. Unfortunately the government did not need the jobs act to fix this problem. At any rate , those of you that down the prez so bad , how better a job could you do? Lol hahahaha losers!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
How about stopping Ford from taking their business to India?
There's been a few others in the new lately too that are going to Asia.
The US has been shafted by their own Corporations,
Starting right after WWII

Before that anything imported was a rare occurance.
Now it is common and finding anything that is a product of the USA is difficult.
You even have to read the labels on the food you buy.
Apple Juice from China, anyone?
Fish from their polluted waters?
Dog food containing melamine?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

lmfao you must be a newbie

this is a failed plan from the start

same stuff they do in every recession

more money printing, more fake shovel jobs

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
OP, to aid the discussion I hope you don´t mind that I post this concise overview of Obama´s provisions, from AP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A look at provisions in Obama's jobs plan

2 minutes ago

By The Associated Press

Key elements of the $447 billion jobs package that President Barack Obama unveiled Thursday to a joint session of Congress.

_ EMPLOYEE TAX CUTS. A deeper payroll tax cut for all workers. Congress in December cut the payroll tax, which raises money for Social Security, from 6.2 percent for every worker to 4.2 percent, for all of 2011. Obama's proposals would cut that tax even further _ to 3.1 percent _ for all workers in 2012. The tax applies to earnings up to $106,800. The estimated cost is $175 billion.

_ EMPLOYER TAX CUTS. A payroll tax cuts for all business with payrolls up to $5 million. Obama's proposal would cut the current 6.2 percent share of the payroll tax that employers pay to 3.1 percent. As with employees, that tax applies to annual employee earnings of $106,800. The White House says 98 percent of businesses have payrolls below the $5 million threshold. In addition, Obama proposes that businesses get a full payroll tax holiday for additional wages resulting from new hires or increased payrolls. The estimated cost is $65 billion.

_ PUBLIC WORKS. The president proposes spending $30 billion to modernize schools and $50 billion on road and bridge projects. He also calls for an "infrastructure bank" to help raise private sector money to pay for infrastructure improvements and for a program to rehabilitate vacant properties as part of a neighborhood stabilization plan. The estimated total cost of all those programs is $105 billion.

_UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. If approved by Congress, the proposal would continue assistance to millions of people who are receiving extended benefits under emergency unemployment insurance set up during the recession. That program expired in November but Congress renewed it for 2011. If not renewed again, it would expire at the end of this year, leaving about 6 million jobless people at risk of losing benefits. The president also wants to spend extra money on states that help long-term unemployed workers though training programs. One model cited is a Georgia program that lets people receiving unemployment benefits obtain job training at a company at no cost to the employer. The estimated cost is $49 billion.

_LOCAL GOVERNMENT AID. The ailing economy has forced state and local governments to lay off workers. Money that states and municipalities received in the 2009 stimulus package has been running out. Obama proposes spending to guard against layoffs of emergency personnel and teachers. The estimated cost is $35 billion.

_EMPLOYER TAX CREDITS. The president proposes a tax credit of up to $4,000 for businesses that hire workers who have been looking for a job for more than six months. The estimated cost is $8 billion.

_EQUIPMENT DEDUCTION. Wary of imposing a burden on business, Obama wants to continue for one year a tax break for businesses, allowing them to deduct the full value of new equipment. Previously, companies could only deduct 50 percent of the value. The president and Congress in December negotiated that provision into law for 2011, but it is set to expire at the end of this year. The estimated cost is $5 billion.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by galdur
OP, to aid the discussion I hope you don´t mind that I post this concise overview of Obama´s provisions, from AP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A look at provisions in Obama's jobs plan

2 minutes ago

By The Associated Press

Key elements of the $447 billion jobs package that President Barack Obama unveiled Thursday to a joint session of Congress.

_ EMPLOYEE TAX CUTS. A deeper payroll tax cut for all workers. Congress in December cut the payroll tax, which raises money for Social Security, from 6.2 percent for every worker to 4.2 percent, for all of 2011. Obama's proposals would cut that tax even further _ to 3.1 percent _ for all workers in 2012. The tax applies to earnings up to $106,800. The estimated cost is $175 billion.

_ EMPLOYER TAX CUTS. A payroll tax cuts for all business with payrolls up to $5 million. Obama's proposal would cut the current 6.2 percent share of the payroll tax that employers pay to 3.1 percent. As with employees, that tax applies to annual employee earnings of $106,800. The White House says 98 percent of businesses have payrolls below the $5 million threshold. In addition, Obama proposes that businesses get a full payroll tax holiday for additional wages resulting from new hires or increased payrolls. The estimated cost is $65 billion.

_ PUBLIC WORKS. The president proposes spending $30 billion to modernize schools and $50 billion on road and bridge projects. He also calls for an "infrastructure bank" to help raise private sector money to pay for infrastructure improvements and for a program to rehabilitate vacant properties as part of a neighborhood stabilization plan. The estimated total cost of all those programs is $105 billion.

_UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. If approved by Congress, the proposal would continue assistance to millions of people who are receiving extended benefits under emergency unemployment insurance set up during the recession. That program expired in November but Congress renewed it for 2011. If not renewed again, it would expire at the end of this year, leaving about 6 million jobless people at risk of losing benefits. The president also wants to spend extra money on states that help long-term unemployed workers though training programs. One model cited is a Georgia program that lets people receiving unemployment benefits obtain job training at a company at no cost to the employer. The estimated cost is $49 billion.

_LOCAL GOVERNMENT AID. The ailing economy has forced state and local governments to lay off workers. Money that states and municipalities received in the 2009 stimulus package has been running out. Obama proposes spending to guard against layoffs of emergency personnel and teachers. The estimated cost is $35 billion.

_EMPLOYER TAX CREDITS. The president proposes a tax credit of up to $4,000 for businesses that hire workers who have been looking for a job for more than six months. The estimated cost is $8 billion.

_EQUIPMENT DEDUCTION. Wary of imposing a burden on business, Obama wants to continue for one year a tax break for businesses, allowing them to deduct the full value of new equipment. Previously, companies could only deduct 50 percent of the value. The president and Congress in December negotiated that provision into law for 2011, but it is set to expire at the end of this year. The estimated cost is $5 billion.

Thanks..You play chess?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I used to play chess at a decent level but mostly gave it up for backgammon.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I imagine Obama and the entire government fighting a battle like this.

Obama and the Dems/Repubs walk into a dark ally. Out come a bunch of thugs ready to destroy them. Obama whispers to his associates "don't worry, I got this". He reaches into his coat and....

Throws a wad of money at the thugs...

Sigh...

Didn't we go through all of this before? His big "Jobs" plan? And didn't it net something like.. oh... NO new jobs? In fact I believe I read something like one state spent over $25 million to "create new jobs" and it ended up making 2.

Why do they always assume more money will solve the problem? I can think of many ways to create jobs. For one, stop all the red tape bs that goes on when someone tries to create a business. I mean literally, you have to jump through a thousand hoops just to open the simplest of businesses in America. That would not only make more businesses appear, thus making new jobs. But maybe it would stop all of our current "corporations" from jumping ship and moving overseas. Case in point Ford. Or GM, who got a government bail out and then proceeded to open a fancy new engines plant... down in Mexico.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321

Throws a wad of money at the thugs...

Sigh...

So when republicans propose cutting taxes for small businesses it's brilliant,
but when Obama does it, it is throwing money at a problem?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by galdur
reply to post by Daedal

I used to play chess at a decent level but mostly gave it up for backgammon.

I seen Bobby Fisher as your avatar and thought wow a chess player.Never was into checkers much.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
by the time the president actually got to what the actual act was about he already lost me by saying we must pass this bill 8 times. almost 8 times in a row i felt like i was buying a used car.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I usually purposefully avoid speeches like these.... hearing it is just too depressing. The problem I have is knowing individuals at the top are not idiots, yet they pitch idiotic ideas assuming the average american IS an idiot and will eat it up. A couple of more stand out moronic ideas:

Spending more tax money will fix our economy

Increasing taxes (even if only for the rich) will fix economy

I'd love the idea of Ron Paul getting the nomination, getting elected, and changing the way our government works. But it will never happen. The system is WAY too rigged and even if in some miracle he gets the republican nomination, I would very honestly worry for his life. Rid the world of the FED!? Ditch income tax!? Base money on gold!? Give the middle finger to the bankers!? Create a society that governs itself!? Take the real power from the hands of the puppet-masters!? Sure sounds like a death wise to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join