It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Power Outage Hits Southwest US - Post Updates Here

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
North county, San Diego, just checkin in.

yesterday we lost power from about 3:30 until just after midnight or so. By the time we went to bed all the lights were back on, and by the time we woke up this morning internet and cable were working again.

All in all not that big of a deal. Didn't even lose any perishable foods.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by mustangill
to be honest, I do not believe the story the media told this morning by the MSM about how the power outage was the cause of one person. I believe it was a drill.

Yes....always with a grain of salt.

I am leaning more toward this was done on purpose..

IF ONE MAN CAN cause that much mayhem and problems
then just think about a team of 10-15 trying to take out the grid..

This is a major weak link..

Why has no one worked on this trying to secure it?

Like they want someone to hit the power grid.

*Hey guys look here !! RIGHT HERE OPEN POWER GRID!!**

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
The odd thing is no pictures of all the traffic stopped on the freeways, no TV news showing lines for ice at the stores or reporting on people stuck in elevators..why the secrecy? I watched several mainstream news channels yesterday and today and the most said was the ticker tape announcement on one of the power being out??

Maybe this whole thing IS to make people prepare as they have been told to do over and over by every agency. We had a weird power outage with no explanation on the north coast CA a week earlier but we get our power here from Oregon.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

i think it's because it's out west...if 4 million people back east lost power, it would be on the major networks all day...but hey, it just in calif., ariz, nev....no big deal

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I survived the great outage of 2011, and It was nice with no power. I was out talking with my neibhors, everyone was bbqing, drinking beers, and just hanging. I never knew so many people lived in the neibhorhood...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
San Diego county here. All is Well.

My roommate is a National Guardsman and said he was briefed on the situation stating that it was a terrorist threat. IDE's have been found in Escondido and routes along the 5 freeway according to his brief. This is secondhand news so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't personally buy the terrorist threat tact, but do believe that it could be used to bolster a story.

I received an email from SDG&E (San Diego Gas and Electric).

Dear Customer:

At this time, San Diego and southern Orange counties are without power. For now, we don’t know the exact cause of the outage and our crews are working as quickly and safely as possible to restore power. The outage could last into tomorrow as we bring the system up gradually to full power. The outage started at 3:38 p.m. today and caused a widespread transmission issue on the grid that serves Western Arizona and Southern California. You should activate your personal family emergency plan.

Some safety tips to keep in mind during this time:
• Turn off air conditioners to prevent them from unexpectedly coming on when the power is restored.
• Unplug sensitive equipment like microwaves, televisions, computers and electric range cook tops.
• Leave one light on so you’ll know when the power is restored.
• Keep your refrigerator and your freezer doors closed to prevent food spoilage.

Thank you for your patience as we work to restore power.

That is all...Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

My roommate is a National Guardsman and said he was briefed on the situation stating that it was a terrorist threat. IDE's have been found in Escondido and routes along the 5 freeway according to his brief. This is secondhand news so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't personally buy the terrorist threat tact, but do believe that it could be used to bolster a story.

That is all...Peace

I'm sooo sure. No one on this base has heard anything like that, and we have no reports from Camp Pendleton. I think that report is a bit suspect and not true. If there were IED's on the freeway, thay would be shut down.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
ft huachuca arizona.....massive power outtage

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Why the hell would they post that? Why would you need to activate an emergency plan for the power being out??? WTF?

Obviously, you've never been through a long duration power outage?

Things we take for granted suddenly become a little tricky. For starters, there's the heat. High 90s are no fun without AC or fans, and can be downright deadly for the sick, the very old, or the very young.

Then there's food. Sure, you're ok if you've got gas I suppose, but otherwise, you'll be firing up the grill or some Sterno (assuming you are so prepared...thus getting to the emergency plan)... Not to mention all your groceries are toast. Depending on the household, this could be a couple hundred bucks down the drain...not to mention, you may not have non-perishable food items.

Finally, a prolonged outage may mean water is unsafe to drink, needing to be boiled, treated, etc.

Once night hits, then the real problems start. Do you know about crime spikes in blackouts? How much easier it is to steal without alarms, lights, etc.? Prolonged power loss can lead to massive looting, wanton crime, and general anarchy.... Suddenly, the power being out isn't the minor emergency you think it is, huh?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Good post.

I thought that I would add traffic lights to the list of important things that wouldn't be working.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by mustangill
to be honest, I do not believe the story the media told this morning by the MSM about how the power outage was the cause of one person. I believe it was a drill.

Yes....always with a grain of salt.

I am leaning more toward this was done on purpose..

IF ONE MAN CAN cause that much mayhem and problems
then just think about a team of 10-15 trying to take out the grid..

This is a major weak link..

Why has no one worked on this trying to secure it?

Like they want someone to hit the power grid.

*Hey guys look here !! RIGHT HERE OPEN POWER GRID!!**

It was not intentional.

I have a video on this - I used to work at a power plant for ten years - Nibiru's Magnetic Field is tripping out all these power plants that were upgraded to a state of the art digital control room which are very sensitive to electromagnetism :

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
North county, San Diego, just checkin in.

yesterday we lost power from about 3:30 until just after midnight or so. By the time we went to bed all the lights were back on, and by the time we woke up this morning internet and cable were working again.

All in all not that big of a deal. Didn't even lose any perishable foods.

Agreed. La Jolla, San Diego checking in here.
Yesterday lost power around 3:45 until around 12:30 am this morning. Everything is working again now.
Was not too bad just a little crazy driving with the street lights not working, milk went bad, and there was a long line at the liquor store

Was told though that it could happen again since they were not sure if everything was fixed and that everyone should not put their air conditioners on (which was apparent in the UPS store today yikes! lol)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by doryinaz

O the website where i got my info from said there's a chance that GPS systems may fail, that is my bad

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryAlien

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

That is all...Peace

I'm sooo sure. No one on this base has heard anything like that, and we have no reports from Camp Pendleton. I think that report is a bit suspect and not true. If there were IED's on the freeway, thay would be shut down.

I agree...just passing along what he said. Like I said, I don't buy it.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by buskey

True, the power interruption ended up only lasting a few hours, but that hardly makes it a nadaburger:

1. Crime statistics in the last 2 years show a phenomenal increase in gang membership. Gangs + prolonged darkness + disabled home security systems = ??

2. Every county has a population of people who are "electrically dependent," meaning they depend on powered respirators to breathe, or maybe they're just insulin-dependent diabetics...insulin requires refrigeration.

3. SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear power Generating Station) in southern Orange County also lost electrical power:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Luckily, their backup power systems worked. This time.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I love conspiracies as much as the next guy/gal (on ATS), but realistically the weather on the So. Cal coast is very temperate and averages at 78 degrees year round. We just experienced our usual September heat wave and everyone and there mother was running their AC which was probably what overloaded the SDG&E infrastructure and they (SDG&E) would rather blame it on the un-named tech as opposed to explaining why they cant use their record profits to update their $#!++^ infrastructure.....

Although I believe this to be the cause, my favorite related conspiracies are:

#1 The terrorist theory:

I recall back a couple/few years ago a bunch of ammonia nitrate fertilizer was stolen on multiple occasions....
Huntington Beach Stolen Fertilizers
Bakersfield Stolen Fertilizers

#2 The CME theory:

Like I said, If their electrical infrastructure is anything close to their water infrastructure.... it sucks and cannot handle “high pressure” situations
Google Search - S.D. broken water main

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Whatever caused the outage, it opened my eyes on how tech & electric dependent we are as humans in america. We hardly had an canned foods, but at least we had gas to boil water and make pasta... without candles we would have not been able to see... almost didn't make it home from work with no gas, since all gas stations were out of power as well... I live in San Diego in the mission Valley area traffic was horrible! I will now be prepared for the next one whenver it is.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JLO1986
Whatever caused the outage, it opened my eyes on how tech & electric dependent we are as humans in america. We hardly had an canned foods, but at least we had gas to boil water and make pasta... without candles we would have not been able to see... almost didn't make it home from work with no gas, since all gas stations were out of power as well... I live in San Diego in the mission Valley area traffic was horrible! I will now be prepared for the next one whenver it is.

Oh yeah, something like that will show you how really unprepared you are. I am in Alabama and had to go through the days long power outage in April. We had next to no food and I had enough gas to get to a gas station with NO traffic (wouldn't have been able to sit and wait). Luckily my father's employer supplied employees with generators, water, and some food stuffs (Thank you Nucor!).

My kids and I didn't suffer, but it did open my eyes to how bad it COULD have been.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Hello back!
All you need is a candle... and before you get that look in your eye, it's
for illumination!

Sit at the window with with the small flickering flame and wait... sit and wait.
No harm will befall a person with a candle, heck -a bible and a bell would assist too.

OR... a nice storm lantern. With it held high, you can go and investigate that van
parked at the bottom of the lane... the one with the lettering on the side saying
'The Mystery Machine'

Repeat this with me: "... and I'd of gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you
pesky kids!"

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just to help put things in perspective, here is a list of items that run on electricity.

www.saaapprovals.com.au...

The best way, IMO, to prepare for something like this is not to be so dependant upon electrical items. If you have something that runs on electricity, look into a gas powered or manual version instead. It might be more of a hassle at first, but it sure beats not having it at all if the power goes out.

Also this:

www.meti.go.jp...

Some tips from APS:

www.aps.com...

Also, if you have a generator set aside for times when your electricity goes out, test it periodically to make sure it works properly. It's just like anything with moving parts; it needs to run every now and then so it "knows what to do" when it NEEDS to do it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i ave been haveing small cut outs but i though it was my comp getting hot or my apartment place being dicks by puling the plug

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join