It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Massive Power Outage Hits Southwest US - Post Updates Here

page: 13
72
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
im on break so I haven't caught up with the thead yet. just popping in to report that I have been encountering a lot of maintenance problems apparently caused by unattended equipment losing then regaining power. one home was flooded by its pool equipment and another by irrigation systems that had been switched off for repair. Check your automatic devices when they regain power.




posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce
 


I have tried to tell people but when I did so I was ridiculed.

take care everyone ...



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey
 
Yesterday afternoon as I saw/felt the main power shut off and within 30 seconds my backup generator start I imagined all the millions of people who have been warned in every way possible to prepare themselves; to prepare themselves so they are not dependent upon the grid, for anything from anyone and as I looked down the hill at all the dark houses and could see the people in their zero lot line cracker boxes out on their lawns with their flash lights hoping the power would come on, hoping a breeze would come to cool them down from the 113 degree heat that hit us yesterday, I realized mine was the only home in the area, lite up like a beacon here on the hill and a shiver went down my spine as I also realized it would not matter how responsible or how hard I worked to prepare for the worst, my neighbors would not stand for me and mine having, while they and theirs did without, and just then, my doorbell rang. It was a guy from down the road wanting to know if I had any D Batteries and Wow, how come you have lights and air-conditioning and would I mind if he cooled off and checked the football scores. Then, even as I was trying to find his channel for his f--king Ball Games, my doorbell rang again,it was two chicks that said they lived up the hill at saw my lights and were wondering if I knew what was going on with the electricity. Am I selfish? Or am I a fool for not now pouring everything I have got into finishing my ship and getting the hell out of here!? You Zombies are going to eat me and mine, I just know it LOL

edit on 9-9-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
4:20 am central Arizona.

All is fine. Not a star in the sky and it's gonna rain like the dickens today.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Newbomb Turk

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Here's another source that can keep people udated if you're down there:

twitter.com...#!/APSOutageCenter

On a side note, there is a big storm system coming down from the Gulf of Alaska that's supposed to be in the SW Sat. Don't know if that has anything to do with this though.




Isn't the largest Naval base in the world in San Diego?
edit on 8-9-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma
 






You've got a good point. Maybe you should should also buy something for your windows so, if this happens again, your neighbors/zombies can't see that you have power and will leave you alone.

Those kind of people crack me up. They'll make fun of you for being prepared, but when the SHTF, they're the first ones knocking on your door.





posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Not long ago Iran threatened a cyberattack against our grid.

As I recall.


Then that means it probably originated in DC LOL!

just dont trust those guys.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
just heard about it on the news
i instantly thought it was probaly caussed by the solar flair
also cuz we had an eq yesterday which almost never happens ,once evry ten years maybe
and the msm just said the power failure was the result of a human error
so they claim some not to bright person accidently hit the wrong button or somthing and wham no power in a very big area of the usa, so some guy was thinking like, i wonder what dis button does??
lmao the first time i heard that excuse, what a joke



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma
reply to post by buskey
 
Yesterday afternoon as I saw/felt the main power shut off and within 30 seconds my backup generator start I imagined all the millions of people who have been warned in every way possible to prepare themselves; to prepare themselves so they are not dependent upon the grid, for anything from anyone and as I looked down the hill at all the dark houses and could see the people in their zero lot line cracker boxes out on their lawns with their flash lights hoping the power would come on, hoping a breeze would come to cool them down from the 113 degree heat that hit us yesterday, I realized mine was the only home in the area, lite up like a beacon here on the hill and a shiver went down my spine as I also realized it would not matter how responsible or how hard I worked to prepare for the worst, my neighbors would not stand for me and mine having, while they and theirs did without, and just then, my doorbell rang. It was a guy from down the road wanting to know if I had any D Batteries and Wow, how come you have lights and air-conditioning and would I mind if he cooled off and checked the football scores. Then, even as I was trying to find his channel for his f--king Ball Games, my doorbell rang again,it was two chicks that said they lived up the hill at saw my lights and were wondering if I knew what was going on with the electricity. Am I selfish? Or am I a fool for not now pouring everything I have got into finishing my ship and getting the hell out of here!? You Zombies are going to eat me and mine, I just know it LOL

edit on 9-9-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)


WOW epic account.

So the dude's priorities were: mooch batteries and then check up on the ballgame scores. Amazing.


Reading the comments about the cell phones being out, I'm so glad I have my HAM radio license. I know all the emergency frequencies and local net channels so I will know exactly what is going on and where, not staring at a crappy little phone. GET A HAM LICENSE GUYS!!!



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
via KOGO that the Coachella and Salton Sea power plants had explosions.....

www.dslreports.com...


"KOGO reporting that lines have been CUT, one east, one north!! "


and if this is the new wave of terror, well then, things are going to get interesting....you know how easy it would be to get some explosives, go out to the boonies where there is a transformers / transmissions towers?
edit on 8-9-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)


Hope this isn't a case of 'loose lips sink ships'



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
When the system is stretched to the limit by heavy air-con load and high temperatures reduce the rating of transmission lines, a single line failure can overload parallel circuits causing a cascading failure. It's happened many many times before world-wide and definitely will happen again. People going nuts because there's a black-out is just ...nuts.

A single relay operation is all it takes to trigger it when conditions are just right but a smart grid should be set up at all times to cope with the worst feasible single event. That sometimes will come down to load shedding in advance in order to maintain system security for the majority but that gets very political if agreements are not in place to take such drastic action to protect the majority. Some contingencies simply can't be protected against eg a bus fault at a major substation. Always keep some candles and charged up torches handy at the very least no matter how reliable your supply has been in the past



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

edit on 9/9/2011 by Pilgrum because: double post - blame the electrons



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by MajorKarma
 



You've got a good point. Maybe you should should also buy something for your windows so, if this happens again, your neighbors/zombies can't see that you have power and will leave you alone.

Those kind of people crack me up. They'll make fun of you for being prepared, but when the SHTF, they're the first ones knocking on your door.


I do in fact laugh but it is something of a gallows laugh because while I have zero intention of being eaten by the Urbanite Zombies, I am not without compassion and for all my "Not A Fan of Man" talk, I can never refuse anyone. I planted a wall of Areca palms along 3 sides of my 5 acres with the back side open to the view of the Lake down below and redirected my drive entry to enter a blind channel onto the property but because I am on well water and not city water, my property stands out because it is so green while my neighbors aren't. This civilization must end or recalibrate itself and that means a lot of suffering and worse..it is just a matter of time now but I am trapped between staying or going, spending time and resources preparing for both options but it really is coming down to a decision; focus what I have to finish my catamaran or move forward on building an underground bunker. I have no idea why I am discussing this here. I think the biggest problem is I don't like eating Fish and am a Meat and Vegetables Land Lover at heart but to dig in and stay sets me up to be some kind of "Friend of Man" I don't want to be. It is a hell of a dilemma, part of me agrees with the Georgia Guide Stones and thinks I should be on that side helping that happen and half of me is a Mother Teresa type....I certainly have nothing but love and compassion for all children but if I throw a baited hook out, a scum sucking adult will surface reminding me why I am such a fan of Goose Guns and Double Odd Buck. Most of you people are pretty F---ed Up, there is now denying it and I have almost 60 years of proof that most people are good only when they think that is the best way to serve themselves. I will probably XYZD these comments out later and this is just my way of putting in words what maybe God will here. If there is God, he should be showing up any time now.
edit on 9-9-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I enjoyed the comment on this page saying how those with power are being harassed for it by those who arent.

i think in a shtf situation it is so important to remember that your stuff is your stuff . All the while people in general have prepared for nothing using the stable conditions to do so , and even declared that here ats because it might disturb their game of halo or whatever they play and waste their own time considering.

in making preps then its probably sensible to prep to protect your own kit too . not that sharing is a bad idea , but you dont want the zombie morass to share it amongst themselves , when you really need it all in combination to help anyone including yourself.

electric power is so important one of the most important things. if it goes for any long period it turns into severe problems. and thats not mild problems , thats severe.

if you have a car you should have a plug-in to the cigarette lighter (or battery hookup) which easily charges phones laptops etc as well as gives lightbulbs or any electrical device up to 500 w a fighting chance of working. without that current you could find yourselves in so much trouble so easily.

they are so cheap , while keeping a phone charger in the car could save your life , all on its own . dont plug a kettle into it but tiny gas burners are so cheap too. and potentially invaluable



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma
reply to post by buskey
 
Yesterday afternoon as I saw/felt the main power shut off and within 30 seconds my backup generator start I imagined all the millions of people who have been warned in every way possible to prepare themselves; to prepare themselves so they are not dependent upon the grid, for anything from anyone and as I looked down the hill at all the dark houses and could see the people in their zero lot line cracker boxes out on their lawns with their flash lights hoping the power would come on, hoping a breeze would come to cool them down from the 113 degree heat that hit us yesterday, I realized mine was the only home in the area, lite up like a beacon here on the hill and a shiver went down my spine as I also realized it would not matter how responsible or how hard I worked to prepare for the worst, my neighbors would not stand for me and mine having, while they and theirs did without, and just then, my doorbell rang. It was a guy from down the road wanting to know if I had any D Batteries and Wow, how come you have lights and air-conditioning and would I mind if he cooled off and checked the football scores. Then, even as I was trying to find his channel for his f--king Ball Games, my doorbell rang again,it was two chicks that said they lived up the hill at saw my lights and were wondering if I knew what was going on with the electricity. Am I selfish? Or am I a fool for not now pouring everything I have got into finishing my ship and getting the hell out of here!? You Zombies are going to eat me and mine, I just know it LOL

edit on 9-9-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)


Reminds me of this:




posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
I enjoyed the comment on this page saying how those with power are being harassed for it by those who arent.

i think in a shtf situation it is so important to remember that your stuff is your stuff . All the while people in general have prepared for nothing using the stable conditions to do so , and even declared that here ats because it might disturb their game of halo or whatever they play and waste their own time considering.

in making preps then its probably sensible to prep to protect your own kit too . not that sharing is a bad idea , but you dont want the zombie morass to share it amongst themselves , when you really need it all in combination to help anyone including yourself.

electric power is so important one of the most important things. if it goes for any long period it turns into severe problems. and thats not mild problems , thats severe.

if you have a car you should have a plug-in to the cigarette lighter (or battery hookup) which easily charges phones laptops etc as well as gives lightbulbs or any electrical device up to 500 w a fighting chance of working. without that current you could find yourselves in so much trouble so easily.

they are so cheap , while keeping a phone charger in the car could save your life , all on its own . dont plug a kettle into it but tiny gas burners are so cheap too. and potentially invaluable


I have two Golf Carts that sit in a solar recharging bay I designed and built but nothing can replace the Gas and Diesel driven vehicles but I am not going to discuss stockpiling and storing fuel. The "Browns Gas" aka HHO2 is a very interesting alternative but I have yet to see any serious systems I would convert to, Natural Gas is probably what is in the future for this country that has plenty of it but I am still watching and considering. I once thought Horses were where it's at but except for wilderness off road riding for fun they proved to be hay burners and worst than a high maintenance woman; I have out grown the horses and am still working on being cured of good looking women who aren't good for much except...well, nevermind.

As for re-charging stuff, that's no problem here since I have both generators and solar charging systems, even my catamaran, which runs on all electric from a diesel generator is backed up with water and wind generators. I have more vegetables that I know how to store this year and if I decide to stay, I am going to build a smoke house to smoke cure meat. It's funny, I had bought this property as just a get-away for weekends but as Orange County turns into more and more a place I despise, I began spending more time tinkering here on the other side of the mountain. But the fact is, I don't like what America has become and the people..most I encounter are seriously screwed up,,,many are playing right into the police state that is being put in piece by piece. We have Police Check Points going in every area now. I have no problems with the check points personally but I see many are.

edit on 9-9-2011 by MajorKarma because: Expanded comment



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma
 


dude we think alike lol.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
masive power outage wowww. aliens comming? niburu? sun? gaddafi? 11 sept? comon... just a power outage thats happen everyday in turkey



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BillfromCovina
 


Hi Bill. Im not sure how much of the power was lost on base, but it definitely was not shut down. Emergency lighting was definitely up, so probably some form of back up generator. All main lighting was down though.



posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Not long ago Iran threatened a cyberattack against our grid.

As I recall.


Not long ago Arizona threatened to cut power to southern Cal, if they continued plans for a boycott over Arizona's immigration policies.... Remember? google it if you don't.

Where did this power outage really come from??




new topics




 
72
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

log in

join