It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina like situation developing in Pennsylvania

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I live on the outskirts of a small town in central PA. Luckily, I am not within the borders of the town borough. However, I was just informed that there is a drinking water ban, a toilet water ban, and an 8:00 curfew being placed on the inhabitants.

There was flooding that has since started to subside and there are a lot of people going out an about trying to get things cleaned up and helping one another. But it seems that through Facebook a lot of people are not taking the curfew lightly and are not going to abide by it. It is apparently being enforced by the National Guard which arrived this morning. I'm trying to find more information now, but all access into the town is blocked by national guard. (I was in there there morning but I did have to lie to a guardsman to do so.)

Under the Posse Comitatus Act, is it legal for the National Guard to enforce this in the town and would it be able to be fought in court should it come to that?

I hear other towns are going under similar restrictions, and I live in probably one of the biggest gun toting areas of Pennsylvania. I'm just not sure how this is going to go down. Figured I would pass it along.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yea, i heard that atleast 100,000 people are without power/being relocated/flooded.

We got swamped with the bands of the hurricanes and tropical storms...

Anyone else think the climate is changing?

Oh and OP, you wouldn't happen to live in Perry County would you??

I was j/w i live in Mechanicsburg.

Be safe fellow Pennsylvanian!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Best of luck to you and your family. Don't stand for their crap! The erosion of our freedoms needs to stop.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

1) Posse Comitatus does not apply to the National Guard in most domestic emergency situations. It applies to the regular armed forces. National guard evolved from state militias, ie the "home guard".
2)Some Guardsmen may be a bit overzealous, but if you got by by lying, it probably shows that they aren't exactly in that serious a security state.
3)There was no martial law during Katrina and many people carried weapons freely and got in and out, but typically had to show ID and have a compelling reason to go into a disaster zone(even if they are lying about it).
4) The NG is likely there as a security force to protect private property of people who evaced and to keep people out of a likely dangerous situation if the floodwaters are still there.

I'm from Louisiana. We have a disaster here every couple years. The Guard down here, i guess, are more used to these type of things. They are generally helpful and very laid back. They come from the same communities that are affected, so "turning" on their families and friends doesn't seem likely.

I am sorry for your situation. Flooding sucks. Believe me, I know.
You guys are going to be alright. But it may suck pretty bad for a few weeks or more.
Be strong. Ya'll got this.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

I live in Schuylkill County. The flooding hit hard and fast here last night, but it isn't like we didn't see it coming.

In the area as far as I am aware, there is only a small section without power, and they are considered outside of the curfew zone. I don't like it one bit and if I could get into town at this point, I would, just to be a part of the resistence.

Curfew hits in 30 minutes and I am getting updates via text and Facebook, so I will see if anything begins to erupt. My friend asked the police about the curfew and they told him for any information they had to contact the town borough. Tried to contact them but they close at 4:00 PM and there is no one to get into contact with.

Nat Guard has taken over the town, doesn't help that we only have 3-4 police officers to begin with.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Your going to see this whenever there is a very serious issue. They play it off as protection against looting and civil assistance, but when there is a serious water quality issue and the possible spread of disease and epidemic then if they realize it or not they are under a biological quarantine.

Let me guess. There are cemeteries under water in normally low wet places. Probably a native american plot or two close by. That little round mark you got on your arm or your shoulder when you were a kid? Its not any good anymore. And if those graves were at a customary waterline in the bottoms they are worried about that getting back out. Never does but you have to be careful. Cholera and dysentery are also possible.

Should die down after a couple weeks. Then see who shows up to help. Wont be nothing then but tumbleweeds blowing down the street.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by radosta

I understand their role, but as far as I am aware the situation in the town is no worse than it was when we had flooding in 2006. A lot of people are toting about how it is worse than '72 and hurricane Agnes, but the few old timers I talked to who were alive and well for that told me it was nothing close.

The mayor we have is a kook and immediately turned control over to the guards. I'm not so much worried about them doing their job, I am worried more so about the curfew and whether or not they are going to enforce it. There isn't much crime in our town and if they want to protect the evacuated people's homes, they should do so without infringing on the rights of those that are still behind and trying to recover and help each other. There is nothing that a curfew is going to prevent, on the contrary, it is only going to cause a lot of drama from freedom loving citizens like myself.

We aren't fond of the words "mandatory" and we certainly aren't fond of being told when and how we can go outside at night.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm in northeast PA. College got dismissed early. Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Lucky no water is near enough to my home.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

live in probably one of the biggest gun toting areas of Pennsylvania.

I was figuring you were talking about Perry County as well lol...

Cool to see others from this area on here though...

I hadnt heard about it, ive been busy getting water out of my basement since weds morning

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Schuylkilll County here too

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The Guard LNO (Liasion Officer/Team) is working closely with your mayor and law enforcement. I'm not sure how it works in PA, but in La, that is generally where I'd complain and it's up to them to communicate with the Guard. Generally, when assistance is requested by a county/local official, that is what the Guard is acting on, unless specifically ordered by the State Governor.
I'd hate to see your neighbors get blasted over a misunderstanding that ultimately goes toward your civilian government. Those soldiers are completely under civilian control - directly under the governor and working with your local cops and local officials.

If the soldiers are beating people up or harrassing people, then I stand corrected but that is not how it works down here. We'd have a full scale revolution and we'd pull half the guard on our side. Our boys are generally very helpful. It's their home state too, after all.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Your going to see this whenever there is a very serious issue. They play it off as protection against looting and civil assistance, but when there is a serious water quality issue and the possible spread of disease and epidemic then if they realize it or not they are under a biological quarantine.

Let me guess. There are cemeteries under water in normally low wet places. Probably a native american plot or two close by. That little round mark you got on your arm or your shoulder when you were a kid? Its not any good anymore. And if those graves were at a customary waterline in the bottoms they are worried about that getting back out. Never does but you have to be careful. Cholera and dysentery are also possible.

Should die down after a couple weeks. Then see who shows up to help. Wont be nothing then but tumbleweeds blowing down the street.

"biological quarantine. "

Indian graves,, SmallPox,, could be still virulint?

seriously?

was there not another,
serious health issue a while back,,,
last month?,,
during the MidWest Floods?

edit on 8-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Another point is people are just chillin in some of the water that contains the poopy....

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers go out to the people in that area. It appears these events are happening more rapidly in the past few weeks alone, with the destruction of Irene in recent memory.

It's sad enough to hear how people are being forced from their homes due to natural disasters, flooding, power outages and so forth, but the presence of the Nation Guard must add to the anxiety. Especially if you're wary about their possible intentions. Hopefully they are for the best.

Be safe and the best of luck to you.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
YES THE FLOODING IS VERY BAD.

no i am not "fearmongering",,
its the truth.

People snap photos as a floodgate holds back the swollen Susquehanna River, Thursday, Sept. 8, 2011, in Kingston, Pa. Widespread flooding brought on by the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee was being blamed for two deaths in Pennsylvania, where inundated communities were evacuated and state offices closed down on Thursday because of the rising waters. Photo: Matt Rourke / AP

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

"I was just informed that there is a drinking water ban, a toilet water ban, and an 8:00 curfew being placed on the inhabitants. "

This is a big part of it,,
if u get sick,,

well its 50/50 weather u get there or not,,

because they cant get there,,
its simple,,
stay safe.

drinking water ban, a toilet water ban, and an 8:00 curfew,,perfectly reasonable.

An abandoned vehicle is stranded less than a mile away from the Penn State Milton Hershey Medical Center in Hershey Pa. today Thursday, Sept. 8, 2011. The medical center is experiencing difficulties with emergency vehicles getting to the facility due to the numerous flooded roads. Photo: Daniel Shanken / AP

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I feel for you, but keep in mind, many other areas of the nation face much worse flooding on a more regular basis. And they clean up and rebuild (usually without much federal aid) and don't make a big deal out of it.
be strong. It'll be fine

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by radosta

I could care less about the flooding. We'll live. We have before.

I care about the government intervention. We don't need their help nor do we want their regulations. We got next to no federal aid the last time this happened and we managed fine with the help of community support of chairtable neighbors. I have no doubt we would do the same once again.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

UPDATE:

According to the Facebook alert page for our area, they shut down all business as well - grocery stores, bars, and other places of work. Nobody is allowed in or out of the town from now until 8:30 tomorrow morning.

My brothers are in there right now helping my grandfather with an issue with the flood. I just had to call to inform them that they will not be leaving tonight. I have also heard rumblings of people unable to get supplies they need due to the closed stores, and that angst is beginning to build already.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

UPDATE AGAIN: 8:43 PM EST.

I have been informed that there is a group of 20+ people traveling the streets in defiance of the curfew. I will update if anything comes of this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join