It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need your help planning an expedition!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

your best friend before you go is a laminator. scan the area of map you wish to visit. crop it into, say credit card sized dimensions. laminate and hole punch in one clear corner. add a carabiner and you have an easy waterproof-at-reach-guide instead of pulling out a map in crap weather. worked for me on various walkabouts and rockhops. best wishes op. ps dont forget to draw a cardinal point (n) before laminating.
fakedirt.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

He cant take a pistol into Canada... but he can make arrangements to take a rifle...
you have to call in advance to set that up...
as for clothing at this time of year... you should be thinking about a nice heavy pair of carharts with the red arctic inner lining... buy the bib and jacket set... you sometimes get to warm and it's nice to be able to set the jacket aside....

as for travel... your going to start seeing snow up there in Oct... how good are you with a pair of cross country skis???? if not you might look into a good pair of snow shoes...

For the Rocky mountains I have a nice pair of Beaver Tail style snowshoes... for my size and weight it makes for a smaller lighter shoe... for my 180 + or - pounds I need a 12x38 snowshoe.... A Pickerel style for the same weight would call for a 12x60 shoe

the real trick is there are several different harnesses available on the market. The problem with
harnesses is that a harness of one design is not equally suitable for every type of terrain. I
have tried at least five or six different types but I have yet to find one that is good for all
snowshoeing conditions.

The most common binding, and the one I frequently use, is a combination of a wide toe
strap, a strap around the heel, and a strap over the instep. All of these straps have
individual buckles for tightening and adjusting. There are a number of variations of this
type of harness. Of the commercially made harnesses, this type is the best.

The old-time trappers and woodsmen used nothing but a length of lampwick which went
around the heel and a piece of leather band for the toes. This is surprisingly effective,
although you have to get accustomed to it. Of course, today you have to go far into the
bush to find coiled lampwick that you can buy by the yard, but nylon webbing works just
as well, even if it is not quite as romantic....

good luck and send back lots of pictures

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks OP, no advice other than not to go when bears are hungry!

The wiki page link you provided had the coolest mentioning:

In 1964, explorer parachutist Jean Poirel from Montreal jumped at its source 500 km North of Yellowknife, followed by his teammate Bertrand Bordet. Jean Poirel imagined the idea of going down the river with inflatable dinghies, opening the path to a new “rafting” sport. During the following four consecutive expeditions in the valley Jean Poirel discovered more than 250 caverns. The most important contained 116 Dall sheep’s skeletons (carbon-14 dated to 2500 years Bc); Jean Poirel named it "Valerie Cavern" after his daughter.

That sounds so awesome! Bigfoot Country and a cave full of sheep skeletons; you might find the remains of our most illustrious cousin! Fascinating! You have to film your journey if you please, I bet you see things that no one has seen in hundreds of years.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Just finished watching that "Alone in the Wild" series and WOW what a great documentary. That first moose he saw was HUGE and it really sucked he couldnt do anything to it because he would have been set for food for weeks like he said just from one of them. He really let his fear of bears get the best of him at times but making it two months on his own like that with hardly any food is incredible. I was expecting him, at the end to be so fed up, that he would be ready to lure a bear and try to kill it for food but it seemed that he was so terrified of them, that he didnt even wish to see one. GREAT suggestion! I'm gonna see if I can find this other one about the guy who dies and moose hunters find his camera.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join