It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church To Protest At Ground Zero

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Venomilk

not quite sure what your going for, but yeah... honor thy dead sounds good to me.

honor.

not much of it is to be found amongst the haters, and those who revel in identifying sin.

God (or goddess, or gods, or oneness, or suchness, or infinites unfolding, or Brahmna/Vishnu/Shiva or the force (yeah obi-wan!) etc. etc. etc.) does not hate.

hate is a human concoction.

so the whole, "God hates the sin, not the sinner" thing.... that is a slippery slope. this whole thread is a slippery slope, for that matter.

down with Haters! up with Love!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by ignant
threatening 10% of the american and world population with 'not adam n steve' propaganda is so...

Christian of Christians!

no wonder so many gays stay in the 'closet' that Christianity & other religions created for all 'deviants' from the 'norm'

Ofcourse God created Adam and Steve, Steve just came along several thousand years after Adam died, but Adam's wife was Eve (his real name isnt adam anyway, no one knows what his real name was, all those people died before the flood that could tell).

oh yes, of course.

but wait, God only created 2 people (A&E) to populate the whole earth. even after flood.

Steve would have to be a descendent of A&E like everyone else.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
'Free speech' is something that I would always advocate, no matter how vile the diatribe, even if I do not agree with their message.

They are entitled to their opinion.

What's to stop you from standing outside their homes playing loud satanic rock music? Turning up to one of their funerals dancing and partying their demise? Give them a taste of their own basically.

I can't see what the fuss is with this cult. As long as they stay within the boundaries of the law, then there is nothing you can do.

The moment they take away this freedom, is the moment freedom dies surely?

Yeah man I agree with you. No matter how much we disagree with them we cannot take away any more freedoms in this country. Maybe I'll head to the city that day and protest their protest

But no one is obsessed with this "cult", it's just amazing how far they will go to spread their words of hate, especially in the name of religion. That's the scary thing about true religious believers, there is no talking to them about these issues for they are set in their ways and refuse to look at it from another perspective to rethink their original positions. They better hope they have lots of NYC police protection because NYC folks don't take kindly to this nonsense

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others. ~Moliere

I believe people have the right to believe what they want....but to use the name of God to inflict pain on others is cruel and hypocritical. I am agnostic....but if they do believe in God, they should go back and read the Bible....and take a VERY long look in the mirror.

edit on 9/8/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by mythos

Like I said, God doesn't hate the sinner, he hates the sin.

And in a different post of mine, I go on to say I am a christian and have a close friend who is gay.

And yes, I base my beliefs on the Bible.
Why should it matter to you?

because you are stating what certitude what you think GOD thinks. and in this certitude is a judgment (and condemnation) of large swatches of people.

i am a Wiccan minister. does your God hate me?

edit to add: so you tell your friend that.... "god doesn't hate you, but he is really not into your expression of love for another human being?" that is a bold gesture on your part, and tolerant friend, imo.

edit on 8-9-2011 by mythos because: edit to add a final line

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well good luck with that Westboro, I'm sure New York will be inviting and respectful of your cause
Actions of a provocative nature + The memorial of a tragedy x A city of generally angry people = a bad time

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

thats my point. they will get publicity wherever they protest, but are protesting at 9/11......
the first responders are protesting not recieving the care they were promised because of the asbestos that the gov said wasnt there. so these responders are dying, being ignored and now have these demons saying that all of their fallen comerades are going to hell. utterly disrespecting the people that died, the people that died during the recovery effort, and the ones that are going to die very soon because of this same recovery effort. this is a mess...

if i was one of those firefighters they would definitely get the fight they are looking for.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i have gone off topic a tad... lured in by those who use the bible to justify condemnation. my apologies. i'll fall for it every time.

back on topic...

the first amendment states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people PEACEABLY to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

the PEACEABLE part is where i question the WBC hate mongering. there is nothing peaceable about it, in my eyes.

i realize that the amendments were specifically worded to allow for wiggle room an interpretation as we evolved as a country, and peaceable can be defined in many, many ways.

i think that might be the crux of this sort of 1st amendment debate.

a civil protest is one thing. hate mongering is another.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Venomilk

Absolutely.
If they end up anywhere near each other, sparks will fly.
I hope it doesnt get too out of control...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

People are obsessed with this cult unfortunately. They love the publicity and thrive on it. Without the publicity they would be nothing, nudda, zilch.

Our own obsession with being Politically Correct has led us down this road. To be honest, I personally feel sick just looking at the poor kids that have been forced into this situation. I think the only way they can get at this cult would be because the children are forced to hate. The only problem with this would be that it could turn into a Waco type episode, therefore the authorities are afraid to follow that route and rightly so..

Let them be and let us be. Personally I favour a taste of their own medicine. That, or find out where they are staying in New York and block their path until all the media have left.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
These people are the scum of the earth, bunch of ******* losers....
I hope some locals give them a good hiding.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nice to see the religious are reminding us all that every man is equal, and we're all god's children.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Just because they have the right to do it, doesn't mean they SHOULD. This is totally inappropriate in both time AND place. I'm trying desperately to stay on topic....I know what I WANT to say about it. but I'll leave it at that.
**bites tongue HARD**

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm leaving for Bermuda out of NYC on the 11th... OH MY.

these people are nuts. How do they not see how disgusting their behavior is?

If anyone on this planet is going to Hell, it's them.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Just because they have the right to do it, doesn't mean they SHOULD. This is totally inappropriate in both time AND place. I'm trying desperately to stay on topic....I know what I WANT to say about it. but I'll leave it at that.
**bites tongue HARD**

Believe me I find it hard to bite my tongue every time I see these people on T.V, but that is exactly what they want.

They thrive on getting a rise out of people, screw them (not literally, they are so damn ugly), but be honest the less attention the better. And this includes threads like this, no offence O.P as I know you had the best of intentions by bringing this to poeple's attention, but you can bet they are on here looking for any mention of themselves. For God fearing people they are extremely Narcassistic.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
**bites tongue HARD**

i'm not sure they have a right to do it. the 1st amendment ensures the right to "peaceably assemble".

the whole "peaceably assembling" notion, and whether or not the WBC is doing it, is certainly debatable.

any lawyers out there care to elucidate just what the definition of "peaceably assembling" means?

edit on 8-9-2011 by mythos because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Originally posted by seachange
Freedom of speech is important but the line it should stop when it comes to purposeful insults said with the intent to harm people's feelings!

Sometimes I wonder if Westboro is a 'flase element' designed with the purpose of proving why 'free speech' should be limited.

Would be massively beneficial to most governments.

the rights of the individual infringing on the collective rights.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

this "church" is a fly in the soup.
edit on 8-9-2011 by citizen6511 because: correction

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
WBC is a extend family of nut jobs. People have found ways to deal with them. The head of WBC Fred Phelps has had his son Nate tell of family abuse... They do have 1st amendment rights, just like the people that want to shout them down...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

Tell that to the 19 hijackers.

Very few people are required to enact change if they are used properly.

You have a Westboro protest turn into a bloody protest and people will DEMAND change. They would probably start with making hate/incitement speech illegal, than start adding things to the hate/incitement list.

Has happened outside the US and is fully capable of happening in the US.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
This is obviously just trolling for a lawsuit. More than one of them, I believe, are lawyers. They know there's no way they can have this protest, in NYC, without getting attacked by at least one person.

They're looking for just that, so they can sue the crap out of everybody possible, including the city for not protecting them, and collect the big payday.

This has nothing to do with religion, regardless of what they say.

didnt even think of this but upon reading, makes perfect sense since these peoples' actions and beliefs are obviously self-servient.

can totally see them putting themselves out there to get 'hurt' then cry 'victim'...

victim of those self-righteous 'fags' of 911's nyc

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join