It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church To Protest At Ground Zero

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Maybe people should start protesting at their church.

I do not know, but if god hates fags, maybe he hates baptists too.

Wait, I was born into a baptist family....oops...
Oh well, I do not follow religious beliefs anyways.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I cannot stand people like this. I sent them a very nicely worded email. If i was there id walk up to the head with a big f***ing pentagram on my forehead and tell him exactly how i feel.
Its not the point of the protest, or the homosexuality, I dont agree with gays choices but to each his own, but to go around and bash people like that is just ridiculous.
I wish I was religious so I could tell these pieces of # to go burn in hell.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

'God Hates Fags' Group To Protest At Ground Zero

I have often railed against the loose application of the word 'hate' to define a person or persons. I just don't believe that most people even understand what true hate really is. The word has basically become a political tool to negative stigmatize certain people into groupings.

But in the case of Westboro Baptist? I dunno. These guys might have actually found a can of the real thing and opened it on their entire church membership.

I can't speak for the Almighty but... I am confident in my belief that He doesn't condone their pasting that awful word to His name.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
In order for god to "hate" something, do we not first need to prove that god exists?
It is only people that have views, sky fairies and the like to not have personal views on anything.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is obviously just trolling for a lawsuit. More than one of them, I believe, are lawyers. They know there's no way they can have this protest, in NYC, without getting attacked by at least one person.

They're looking for just that, so they can sue the crap out of everybody possible, including the city for not protecting them, and collect the big payday.

This has nothing to do with religion, regardless of what they say.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have to admit, when I was much younger I was very bias against people who where gay. Then some of my closest friends, even a role model revealed that this was their lifestyle choice. That said, instead of being afraid and fearful of this choice, I decided that the people who are your friends are still your friends and need respect regardless of this choice. I didn't have to be gay to understand it, personally I like it if people keep their sexual preferences personal because it's really a private matter. Yet people seem to like to make it known when it's different. Thus one must decide what to do, and I chose to continue to be a friend, respect them and enjoy who they are as people.

For a religion that teaches "love" it seems to fail when loving and accepting others without judgment matters most... even if you find out your closest friends are gay.

The same can be said for racism... certainly not needed. Not being christian, I can say openly that I do not judge people, I respect them and love them as human beings regardless of all the quirks and differences. It's those quirks and differences that makes diversity in our Earth so interesting.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
People who associate this church with REAL christians

Are just as ignorant as the followers of westboro.....

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
you make a great point that makes alot of sense....what a hateful group they are....so appaling...

link   

Originally posted by subject x
This is obviously just trolling for a lawsuit. More than one of them, I believe, are lawyers. They know there's no way they can have this protest, in NYC, without getting attacked by at least one person.

They're looking for just that, so they can sue the crap out of everybody possible, including the city for not protecting them, and collect the big payday.

This has nothing to do with religion, regardless of what they say.

which would also cripple the first responders' call for publicity as well. so is there an agenda behind it? if they really just wanted publicity where were they at the superbowl? or even the republican debate? (where a few extreme conservatives might have agreed) its just out of place. did you see how much publicity they got for protesting one funeral? its obvious they dont need the help getting it, the shock value alone is usually enough to have their "message" plastered everywhere...
this is sickening..

link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Oh hell no, see why some atheists don't worship god ? # like this, over religious people that will be the first to burn in hell. This is shameful, I wish I was there. I would've walked around there with my relatives blasting lady gaga's Judas. People like this make me #ing sick, S & F OP.

God doesn't hate fags, he hates people with hate in their hearts.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

It doesn't make sense to not worship God because some people are protesting just to get attention. They haven't read their Bibles, or else they would know they aren't supposed to act like this. They're the ones at fault, not Him.

Matthew 6:5-6(KJV)
5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

1 Timothy 6:3-5(KJV)
3If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

True Christians are meek, humble, non-violent people. Had these protestors been so, they would quietly talk to people, share scripture with them exposing their sin, and pray for and/or with them. Never has anyone converted because someone got in their face and yelled and screamed that they are going straight to hell. The opposite is usually achieved in such cases. The person gets mad, offended, and they leave. Usually they will continue in their sin just to spite the person who offended them, and to spite God, as well.

Much better results are gained if one prays first before doing such a thing as speaking to someone about God and Jesus:

James 5:16(KJV)
16Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by Swills

I don't think God hates fags.
He doesn't like homosexuality though.

They do have a right to protest either way.
edit on 8-9-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

how the heck do you know what god thinks!?!?!?! the bible????? that is the same source that justifies the WBC's hate...

there is no difference between their "hate" and your "not like".

both are ugly.

if you really are that into the bible, i'm fairly certain JC says to 'love thy neighbor as thyself'

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

and more importantly, honor thy dead, no?
edit on 8-9-2011 by Venomilk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
threatening 10% of the american and world population with 'not adam n steve' propaganda is so...

Although I would probably be put in jail if I ever meet a Westboro member, this will need to be backed up.

Best current estimates are between 0.6% and 5.4% depending on definition of homosexuality and the question asked (homosexual experience/thoughts/feelings vs exclusively homosexual).

link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

At the end of the day it makes no difference what someones sexual orientation is. It's really a non factor. You know, I just thought of someone else the WBC can protest for sexual deviance, Catholic Church priests who are guilty of molesting children, and the church that tried to cover up the molestations. Just a thought.

link   
I think the Westboro Baptist Church is about as much of a church as the "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" is a church. I believe that "church's" goal is to see how far the freedom of speech boundaries really extend while raking in as much cash in lawsuits as possible. While they seem like a bunch of morons, the fact that they are helping define that line of liberty is a good thing.

I believe it is wrong to hurt someone without cause regardless of what the freedom of expression allows. But there is also disagreement on what "hurting people" is exactly. Some people are hurt by words that really should not hurt them if you ask most people. The fundamental problem of speech censorship is that which words are hurtful is entirely opinion.

I think the important thing is that when people use a remark they believe is derogatory, then use it against someone for the purpose of HURTING them, and are the successful in their goal, that changes the whole ball game. Both the name-caller and receiver are in agreement that harm is going on. And that is what makes what the Westboro Church is doing wrong if they are using "fag" as an insult... which I believe they are! And if they are, then they should have to pay the consequences of their harm.

People should be stopped by force from holding signs like that saying "God hates FAGS" because its pretty much universally accepted as a phrase designed to cause emotional distress to people.

However, unless it can be PROVEN that their intention is to harm people who are homosexuals, then there should not be any restitution or punishment required for the reason that which words are harmful is opinion. This is the difference between European lines of thinking and American lines of thinking. In America, we believe that offensive speech is opinion only. But again, if both parties can be shown to both have that opinion, then there is harm done and it was done on purpose, so there needs to be consequences.

Freedom of speech is important but the line it should stop when it comes to purposeful insults said with the intent to harm people's feelings!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
'Free speech' is something that I would always advocate, no matter how vile the diatribe, even if I do not agree with their message.

They are entitled to their opinion.

What's to stop you from standing outside their homes playing loud satanic rock music? Turning up to one of their funerals dancing and partying their demise? Give them a taste of their own basically.

I can't see what the fuss is with this cult. As long as they stay within the boundaries of the law, then there is nothing you can do.

The moment they take away this freedom, is the moment freedom dies surely?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
threatening 10% of the american and world population with 'not adam n steve' propaganda is so...

Christian of Christians!

no wonder so many gays stay in the 'closet' that Christianity & other religions created for all 'deviants' from the 'norm'

Ofcourse God created Adam and Steve, Steve just came along several thousand years after Adam died, but Adam's wife was Eve (his real name isnt adam anyway, no one knows what his real name was, all those people died before the flood that could tell).

link   
reply to post by mythos

Like I said, God doesn't hate the sinner, he hates the sin.

And in a different post of mine, I go on to say I am a christian and have a close friend who is gay.

And yes, I base my beliefs on the Bible.
Why should it matter to you?

link   

Originally posted by seachange
Freedom of speech is important but the line it should stop when it comes to purposeful insults said with the intent to harm people's feelings!

Sometimes I wonder if Westboro is a 'flase element' designed with the purpose of proving why 'free speech' should be limited.

Would be massively beneficial to most governments.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venomilk
if they really just wanted publicity where were they at the superbowl? or even the republican debate?

That's just it, I don't think they're doing it for publicity.
I think they're looking to get attacked, for the resulting lawsuits.

Everyone knows what a hot button that location is, and how most New Yorkers would react to a protest like theirs, on that spot, damning the victims of 9/11 to hell. It would be trouble, guaranteed.
edit on 8-9-2011 by subject x because:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join