It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot 1283 at it again. new m and x class

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
if posted, link me to it please

earlier in the week we had a few earth directed flares (as posted on ATS), one m-class, and one x class
on nasas site www.nasa.gov... they have video of the newest ones released today claiming they are x-1.8, and m-6.7

this means it is weaker than the one released earlier, labelled as an x-2.1
so does the size matter? this new one seems to be bigger/ more violent, but that may not make a difference. correct me if im wrong

this is the fourth flare from the same spot, having 2 x's in 24 hours, so even though nasa claims they are not earth directed, is this still an odd event? the new m-class is moderate, and i understand people arent too worried about it, but if these are earth directed could several moderate flares cause more trouble than we are predicting?

either way, this shows that spot 1283 is far from going quiet, and may keep spitting. i get conflicting reports as to whether or not it will hit earth, or be a near-hit, or glancing blow

any input is appreciated. the new flares are scheduled for 9/11 (of course)
we may even see more pop up before they hit.
please ignore my ignorance, i dont know all of the resources to track this sort of thing yet, so you can call me a noob if you want
edit on 8-9-2011 by Venomilk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
m class and 7.0s seem to be the norm now. Then again one could argue that we only just started paying attention enough. not much we can do about either.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
according to spaceweather site, they are directly directed at earth
but will hit partially, the CME's that is within tomorrow for a few days.

Watch out for earthquakes as CME's usually equal to plus 7 magnitude Eqs

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghandi

right, but is there any recorded consecutive x/m flares particularly 4 in such a short time? our EMF is also getting weaker. is it possible multiple blows (even glancing) could speed this decay up a bit?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
1289 is on its way to face us... its quite big.

Next week, lets see if it bites.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by foreshadower99
according to spaceweather site, they are directly directed at earth
but will hit partially, the CME's that is within tomorrow for a few days.

this is why i say some of the stories conflict. nasa says no, spaceweather says yeah
im just interested in how active this spot is

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh #...............I've been sun watching since a little after Japan, once I knew what I was looking at. Normally, I wouldn't call doom but............for once I am. This is scary

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

on the off chance it IS doom, it'll be a hell of a light show

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yeah the sun is acting wild! Aren't we in solar maximum though?

Either way, this picture says it all

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Venomilk

Never A Straight Answer.

I dunno but even if we are to be hit and get an huge eq.
we can do nothing about it, the power of nature is overwhelming.
although being prepared for it is better than nothing.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
DOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!

We're all gona die!!!!!

No?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Venomilk

Prior to NASA getting all warm and fuzzy about making the public feel good by responding to every nut case with a doomsday theory, they were predicting the Solar Cycle to be a very active one and peak in the 1st quarter of 2013. Now of course, they since went back and ..well..what are they saying now? I'm having trouble keeping track of which version is supposed to be the truth now....

Heck with it... I'll just follow what NASA said BEFORE politics entered into every statement they made and say the Solar activity is proceeding just as predicted for a steady ramp up toward a peak in 2012/2013. No doomsday here...just another factor in what will make next year anything but boring. May we live in interesting times, one Chinese philosopher said. Well, we certainly are living in interesting times, eh?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The more these hit us the more our EMF weakens and does not repair itself. The destructive affects we will not know until they hit. A lot of things seems to be culminating together to make the next few months and perhaps year or 2 very interesting.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old77
The more these hit us the more our EMF weakens and does not repair itself. The destructive affects we will not know until they hit. A lot of things seems to be culminating together to make the next few months and perhaps year or 2 very interesting.

The magnetic field is already weakening and in the process of flipping.

Nothing unusual here at all.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i agree that the fear factor of losing our sattelites and people claiming cme=earthquake could cause them to be more..."politically correct" but i hope that doesnt mean they are lying about them not being earth directed.

personally i dont understand how we can predict when the solar maximum will be. as someone else stated, we only recently started paying attention. i dont think weve even come close to seeing a maximum sized flare to know, but i hope im wrong

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth

DOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!

We're all gona die!!!!!

No?

never even implied it. we people are the doom, it wont come from the sun.... i hope

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

Magnetic North is moving the Electromagnetic field does not repair until it flips and re-sets. Something very usual but very much End of the road for human beings.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Old77

magnetic north is always moving. i realize that the earths field has switched polarity in the past multiple times. but theres also no proof at all that this could have anything to do with extinction, no matter how many people want it to

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by foreshadower99

Earthquakes that will happen the day the CME hits earth, won't have anything to do with the CME itselfs. We've seen this many times in the past, you can't say a big EQ will occur when a CME strikes.
There has been many threads on predictions of EQ's when the sun launhed a CME at earth. Nothing happened those days.
Predictions, in next 48 hrs will hit strong eartqveke or volcano event
Shouldn't we have had a huge earthquake by now?
What about last week? we've had many 6+ and some 7+ earthquakes but no CME's, solar activity was low those days and earth's magnetosphere was acting normal.

If you compare solar activity of solar cycle 24 to previous cycles, i would say the sun has a lot of catching up to do.
In terms of sunspots it's way behind
comparison of solar cycles 21, 22, 23 and 24
Sunspots causes solar activity, solar flares, so according to these data it will be a quite cycle.

Sun’s Fading Spots Signal Big Drop in Solar Activity
Sunspots may vanish by 2015

But yes you never know, as we are beginning to uncover more on solar activity.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old77
reply to post by Anonymouth

Magnetic North is moving the Electromagnetic field does not repair until it flips and re-sets. Something very usual but very much End of the road for human beings.

It is a little more complicated than just moving, it is WEAKENing, in a chaotic manner across the globe just as the sun's poles do.

Weaken, twisting, everywhere, not just a simple N to S moment.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join