It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advertising in the 1950s was very, very sexist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I didn't realise how acceptable sexism, promotion of cigarettes and even drugs was back in the 1950s and 60s. Turns out that it was though! These real adverts from the era say it all... The Golden Age Of Advertising

I wonder what my Grandpa would have to say about this!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It didnt end in the 50's...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
It didnt end in the 50's...

hahaha! Wow that's made my day...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

That's a great video! "When a woman's at the wheel..."

Advertizing has been using sex since the beginning.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I saw a great proogramme on the ads in the 1950's and early 60's. What was irritating was how they portrayed women to be stupid to the point of her rolling under the table whilst her perfect husband and kids ate their breakfast cereal'. I suspect it was part of stopping women from having aspirations for careers instead of breeding. The way they were put out of the work place when the men came home from war, especially the single ones in the UK was disgraceful. Clever, efficient when needed and idiots when not. Its all changed now though and a woman can, if the job is available aim for where she wishes.

People didn't know about the dangers of drinking and smoking so it was totally acceptable, however alcohol today is far stronger and boozing all evening simply means legless at the end of the evening. I always remember my lot coming home after an evening in the pub with noone slurring or staggering, that took an all day affair. I wonder why alcohol today is so much stronger, there's no need for it to be.

Anyone got a favourite old ad they enjoyed, I can think of a couple and their music?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

That was great.

I had to look up the year, but also found this little piece of interesting info, in the uploader's description.

1970 Goodyear Tire Commercial [color=BAD4D4]shown during the first ever Monday Night Football Game.

Regardless of right or wrong, it does make sense.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Damn right! (I'm not gettn any anyway so I got nothin to lose lol)
When a womans at the wheel.....Stay off the road!!!!

Yeah I said it,

and now for the flaming lol.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
I saw a great proogramme on the ads in the 1950's and early 60's. What was irritating was how they portrayed women to be stupid to the point of her rolling under the table whilst her perfect husband and kids ate their breakfast cereal'. I suspect it was part of stopping women from having aspirations for careers instead of breeding. The way they were put out of the work place when the men came home from war, especially the single ones in the UK was disgraceful. Clever, efficient when needed and idiots when not. Its all changed now though and a woman can, if the job is available aim for where she wishes.

People didn't know about the dangers of drinking and smoking so it was totally acceptable, however alcohol today is far stronger and boozing all evening simply means legless at the end of the evening. I always remember my lot coming home after an evening in the pub with noone slurring or staggering, that took an all day affair. I wonder why alcohol today is so much stronger, there's no need for it to be.

Anyone got a favourite old ad they enjoyed, I can think of a couple and their music?

Yes, disgraceful, wasn't it? NOW, you are so lucky, YOU HAVE TO WORK. You have no choice, because, somehow, one income just can't do it anymore. Poor women, back in the day, weren't able to get gouged for the taxes like they are now.

Man, we need more taxes. I know, let's get the dames to think it's a good thing that they can be so 'strong and independent". Yeah, that's the ticket.

ANd, by the way, alcohol is alcohol. It can't get any stronger. Booze does not have a higher proof. Beer is not stronger. But, back in the day, poor women would be looked down upon if they went out BOOZING ALL NIGHT UNTIL THEY PASSED OUT. But now, you are so lucky, it's considered COOL.

And just think, back in the day, unwed mothers were a disgrace. Girls drunkenly slutting all over town were vilified. You are so lucky, now.
edit on 8-9-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
But they were soooo very, very funny.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

reply to post by CaptChaos

Not stronger. Not the same. Weaker.

- The average alcohol content of wine sold in the United States fell from 16.75 percent in 1950 to 10.49 percent in 1991 before rebounding slightly to 11.45 in 2002.

- The alcohol content in beer followed a similar pattern, falling from 5.02 percent in 1950 to 4.58 percent in 1993 and rising again to 4.65 percent in 2002.

- The District of Columbia had the highest average alcohol content of liquor sold, at 38.3 percent. Ohio had the lowest average alcohol content, at 34.8 percent. In both states, the 2002 alcohol levels were about 4 percent to 5 percent lower than 1950 levels.

Alcohol Facts

Ok. Not even close to being on topic, but this is just weird.

[color=B7D1D1] A popular drink in Cambodia is a Tarantula Brandy. You guessed it - the concoction includes rice liquor and freshly dead tarantulas.

[color=B7D1D1]An even grosser drink than the Tarantula Brandy is the Baby Mouse Liquor found in rural Korea. This distilled rice spirit is filled with baby mice carcasses and fermented for 1 year.

new topics

top topics

join