It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM Corn Insecticide 'Polluting Rivers Across The United States'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here we have just another reason why GMO's should be banned, yet instead, as we speak
Monsanto is busy selling its new Triple Stack to farmers for human consumption in the U.S.
And this new "Sweet Corn" is being sold unbranded, and unlabeled, thanks to the USDA!

London's The Independent reports that an insecticide used in genetically modified (GM) crops grown extensively in the United States and other parts of the world has leached into the water of the surrounding environment.

www.youtube.com...

The ramifications are huge just in Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana alone, roughly 90 per cent of the
streams and rivers which equals 159,000 miles of waterways are located within 500 metres of
corn fields. After corn crops are harvested, a common agricultural practice is to leave discarded
plant material on the fields where the toxins then wash into the waters!

www.independent.co.uk...

The study was conducted on corn engineered to carry a gene from the Bacillus thuriengensis (Bt)
bacteria that produces an insecticidal protein, Cry1Ab. The researchers tested 217 Indiana streams for
traces of Cry1Ab, and pesticide the chemical in 13 percent of them. Every contaminated stream was
within 500 meters (1,600 feet) of a corn field.
www.naturalnews.com...

So, now we are all drinking the insecticide, even if we dont eat it!

In case you may have forgotten, or never read the affects of GMO corn toxins on humans,
here is a nice little study for you.
www.biolsci.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f9ff75559b2.jpg[/atsimg]
www.sl-webs.com...

edit on 8-9-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I actually found the study and skimmed it over. Imagine my suprise when the conclusions didnt jive with the OP's post. The environmental half life of Cry1Ab is really too short to impact drinking water supplies.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

There is no such thing when it comes to these insecticides, and here is why.

the lead researcher at the USDA’s very own Bee Research Laboratory completed research two years ago suggesting that even extremely low levels of exposure to neonicotinoids makes bees more vulnerable to harm from common pathogens.

For reasons not specified in the Independent article, the USDA’s Jeffrey Pettis has so far not published his research. “[It] was completed almost two years ago but it has been too long in getting out,” he told the newspaper. “I have submitted my manuscript to a new journal but cannot give a publication date or share more of this with you at this time.”

New Pesticides Are Killing Honeybee Population Worldwide

The American study ... has demonstrated that the insects’ vulnerability to infection is increased by the presence of imidacloprid, even at the most microscopic doses. Dr. Pettis and his team found that increased disease infection happened even when the levels of the insecticide were so tiny that they could not subsequently be detected in the bees, although the researchers knew that they had been dosed with it.

grist.org

A new generation of pesticides could be to blame for Britain's vanishing honeybees, a study has shown.
The chemicals, which are routinely used on farms and garden centres, attack the central systems of insects and make bee colonies more vulnerable to disease and pests, researchers say.
The claims, which appear in an unpublished study carried out at the US Department of Agriculture's Bee Research Laboratory, add to the evidence that pesticides are partly responsible for the mysterious decline of one of the world's best loved insects.

“We believe that some subtle interactions between nutrition, pesticide exposure and other stressors are converging to kill colonies,” said Jeffery Pettis, of the ARS’s bee research laboratory.

Alison Benjamin The Gaurdian, May 4, 2010 www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
I actually found the study and skimmed it over. Imagine my suprise when the conclusions didnt jive with the OP's post. The environmental half life of Cry1Ab is really too short to impact drinking water supplies.

And another thing, in your selective reading you either skipped this part, or did not mention it.

As a Gram-positive aerobic bacterium, Bt has the ability to synthesize a crystalline protein
(so called d-endotoxins) during the sporulation process. The d-endotoxin is a protein that is toxic
to insects of the Coleoptera, Diptera, and Lepidoptera families. After ingestion by insects,
the alkaline environment of the gut and proteases dissolve the crystalline proteins to yield the
toxic form which leads to pore formation in the intestinal wall leading to severe inflammation,
starvation, and death.

Bees, being holometabolous insects: (Hymenoptera, Coleoptera, Lepidoptera, and Diptera)
encompass 45% of all known animal species.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

See what skimming gets you Mike? Your knighthood has been revoked.

However, Monsanto is always looking for some PR folk who are gung ho for rhetoric but for research not so much.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

top topics

join