It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
...there is one country that does more than any other to embody popular sovereignty within a multi-ethnic, multilingual and multi-confessional society: Switzerland.
In this alpine republic with just seven million people, citizens' law-making is exercised on all political levels - including almost 3,000 autonomous municipalities, 26 sovereign states and on the common, federal level.
While it embraces direct democracy, Switzerland is nevertheless still a representative democracy. Most laws are made and decided by parliament. The important difference, however, between the Swiss system and the "indirect" democracy of Britain is that citizens are entitled to put almost every law decided by their representatives to a general vote - if they want.
For this to happen, members of the public need to gather 50,000 signatures (approximately one per cent of the electorate) within 100 days of the publication of a new law. In 96 out of 100 cases, no such referendum is triggered, because the parliamentary process enjoys a very high level of legitimacy. That is because the elected lawmakers know that their work will be seriously checked by the public, so do a very good job indeed.
Switzerland has emerged as the country with the highest quality of living in a survey designed to help governments and multinational companies place employees on international assignments.
Originally posted by Welshy77
Anything that would get the masses to wake up and have a real vested interest in politics can only be a good thing.
Its about time we had more responsibility, we are grown ups after all.
Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Democracy is great, if you're in the 51%. If you're the other 49%, it can get bad real quick. I've always loved the people banging on about wanting true Democracy, then turn around and bring up "minority rights". They are mutually exclusive. Democracy eventually leads to slavery, which is why the U.S. founders chose a Republic. Good luck England. I wish you the best.edit on 8-9-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: Added a little to the end....
Originally posted by Maxatoria
the problem with england is that generally you could park a 3 legged donkey with a correct political symbol on its ass and people would vote for it
Fair is always in the eye of the beholder. For example, people who dropped out of school and make minimum wage and don't pay any taxes except sales tax think it's "fair" to have someone who worked their ass off taxed at a 90% rate. So, using words like "fair" isn't "fair".
reply to post by paraphi
As to direct / pure democracy. The idea has merit but a few flaws, not least who decides on the ssues. Also, sometimes the best outcome is when the emotion has been taken out of an issues and people are highly informed and objective. With direct democracy you’ll get the opposite
As to direct / pure democracy. The idea has merit, but a few flaws, not least who decides on the issues. Also, sometimes the best outcome is when the emotion has been taken out of an issues and people are highly informed and objective. With direct democracy you’ll get the opposite.
Originally posted by DoubtingThomas1
The most effective way to get British people involved in politics right now is to legally prevent councils from passing the electoral register to debt collection companies. Because nearly 4 million Brits are too scared of the consequences to even register to vote. So that's do-able.
Direct democracy ? Mm. It's just referendums, really. Or is that Never-end-ums ?
And they mean popularism, the way the wind blows on any given day. Do you really want permanent government by Daily Mail & Matt Drudge readers ?
The "normal" British public will soon tire of referenda, voting numbers will dwindle until you're only left with a hard core of really, really worthy but tiresomely right wing no life politico ugly bugs for whom voting in referenda would define their very being.
No thanks !edit on 8-9-2011 by DoubtingThomas1 because: (no reason given)