It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoo animals allowed to die in flooding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Two bison who lived at ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park in Hershey were shot on Wednesday because they were drowning and could not be rescued as Tropical Storm Lee inundated Derry Twp., officials said.

Pennlive

As being from the area and even having worked at Hersheypark for a period of time, I find this news quite disturbing. I do remember another instance when there was significant flooding in the park, but isn't it the responsibility of the caretakers to have options available for the animals to prevent drowning? I know they have some high-tech weather monitoring technology, so should they not have known flooding was a possibility?
On the one hand, this was an accident, but on the other, was it someone's fault that the animals died as opposed to being safely relocated before it was too late?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What did happen to the prisoners left behind in their cages?

solitarywatch.com...

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

I'm not too fond of zoos and keeping animals for show, but I haven't found anything else about other animals being injured or killed. Someone said the coyotes were also drowning, but I can't verify this.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
They should have had plans in place for relocation in the event of any disaster. It's irresponsible that there weren't. Those animals should not have to have been killed.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i to live in the area. I was so upset by this.

hershey is really trying to get PR going on this one, to spin it.

they have even put up curtains to keep people from looking into the enclosures where the animals are kept.

I have been here, and its a rather small zoo. thing is, this happened before in ivan 2004. you would think they wouldve learned the first time.

the forecast went out days in advance, they waited to the last possible minute. they were actually opened before they shut down. who did they think would come during a downpour like that? all to make some money.

they also said the floodwaters came on to fast. which i call bs on for hershey. if it was a flash flood, it wouldve swept the animals away. and broke down the fences. some flash floods have the strength of a EF5 tornado.

they are also saying no coyotes are at the zoo. i checked the website earlier and they are not listed, could have been foxes, or wolves crying.

I had posted this on twitter last nite. I am so upset for the animals.

I also posted this morning that i am urging people to not go to there, they need to be hit where it hurts their wallets.

and i got a pretty dumb msg from an account that had just been set up, and seemed to be looking for things like that. it was weird. pretty sure its them spinning the situation.

(or at least my conspiracy mind went there)

sorry for such a long response. I wish this would get picked up by a major news station, as much as i dislike them, i wish more people knew about it.

it could have easily been avoided

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

They did the right thing. Far better than letting them drown in the flood.

To expect them to have anticipated this is a bit over the line, don't you think?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes, people die in floods all the time too, a plan should of been in place when they die too. It happens, its a disaster, its a shame they didn't have contingency plans for these animals but not that big a deal.

Atleast they had the compassion to put the animals down instead of letting them suffer, Or worse risk further pain and injury to them by a mis-guided last minute rescue.
edit on 8-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by trollz

To expect them to have anticipated this is a bit over the line, don't you think?

No it isn't considering we have emergency plans for everything else in our country, even for you, that is just silly..Any zoo that has federal money or half a conscience will have an evacuation plan for their charges ...oh lets not forget that it was a known storm coming plenty of time to move the beasts.

edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: an erroneous "n" and a wayward word

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Two bison who lived at ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park in Hershey were shot on Wednesday because they were drowning and could not be rescued as Tropical Storm Lee inundated Derry Twp., officials said.

...were SHOT...

Your headline: Zoo animals allowed to die in flooding...

Your headline is misleading and sensationalist. We really don’t need any more misery on this ‘Fragile Earth’ than we already have. These animals were shot and PUT OUT OF THEIR MISERY - not - ‘allowed to die’...

Please, it’s a horrific situation all the way around, let’s not make it any worse than it already is, ok?

peace

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

everything else in our country, even for you,

really? even for you? because his human life is more important than an animal.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by trollz

...were SHOT...

Your headline: Zoo animals allowed to die in flooding...

Your headline is misleading and sensationalist. We really don’t need any more misery on this ‘Fragile Earth’ than we already have. These animals were shot and PUT OUT OF THEIR MISERY - not - ‘allowed to die’...

Please, it’s a horrific situation all the way around, let’s not make it any worse than it already is, ok?

peace

It's not misleading and sensationalist at all, they were left in their enclosures and died as a result, hence allowed to die, as in not removed early enough. The point I was making was the question of whether they should have been moved earlier instead of left there while the park flooded.
"Let's not make it any worse than it already is"
Seriously? You're a member of ATS and discussion concerning two animal flood victims bothers you that much that you try to discourage it?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by trollz

No it isn't considering we have emergency plans for everything else in our country, even for you, that is just silly..Any zoo that has federal money or half a conscience will have an evacuation plan for their charges ...oh lets not forget that it was a known storm coming plenty of time to move the beasts.

edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: an erroneous "n" and a wayward word

It's not over the line at all to expect them to anticipate it, Hersheypark has really good weather-monitoring technology. I've worked there, and they know the when and where of storm conditions at all times for this very reason. Do you think they're going to let the park flood with people in it? Sometimes there are also storms which endanger the guests and force the rides to close. They HAVE to heavily monitor these things, so they should have very well know the animals would be in danger. I think someone made the decision to not move them until the last minute.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

everything else in our country, even for you,

really? even for you? because his human life is more important than an animal.

Take it out of context as you wish.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

They should have gotten them out of there before hand but in the event of the unexpected you can't just throw a bison in the back of a pickup and peace out, so shooting them before suffering to death was probably the best option at the time

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

But that's what I mean. That area is at risk of flooding, so why didn't they have the option available to move the bison ahead of time?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I agree, it could be lack of staff from a bad economy, poor planning who knows. It's sad that they had to be killed but I would be more sad if the had drown stuck suffering. At least their free of the zoo now
edit on 8-9-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
From title of the thread I thought they had just been left to drown in the flood.

But obviously I should have know better when reading the real article.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth
What did happen to the prisoners left behind in their cages?

solitarywatch.com...

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

Apparently there was a small riot with injuries but Rikers was not effected by Irene "This Time" see below.

www.locallawyer.us...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I bet they just wanted to eat them.
They could have moved them very easily.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I am from the area also. Lived there all my life up til about 3 years ago. I have friends and family who had to be rescued from their homes via boat, helicopter, and hovercraft over the past two days.The entire scope of the flooding is absolutely devastating and I've been in tears several times over the past 24 hours.

Unquestionably, I am deeply saddened and troubled by the deaths of the two bison, but I am unsure of what to think about Hershey/ZooAmerica's handling of the situation and their response. I think it is important to see the full scope of what happened to the two animals, so I am adding a photo of the two bison struggling in the water before their deaths. Some may find it disturbing. This is not my photo and I own no rights to it. My source is from a Facebook page commemorating the bison, but the pic is circulating widely and is probably not the property of the Facebook page I downloaded it from. I am going to post a source for the photo just to be on the safe side copyright-wise. Here is the pic:

Here is a source for the pic: storyful.com...

new topics

top topics

join