It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The musical collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Don't know who else has heard of this yet, but here is a link:

Lulu

It appears to be an epic track listing, based on song length alone...

Brandenburg Gate (4:19)
The View (5:17)
Pumping Blood (7:24)
Mistress Dread (6:52)
Iced Honey (4:36)
Cheat On Me (11:26)
Frustration (8:33)
Little Dog (8:01)
Dragon (11:08)
Junior Dad (19:28)

The musical collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica, "Lulu," is coming your way this Fall and this space will be your spot for all things Loutallica(!). We want to start sharing with you just how the "Lulu" project, recorded at HQ just a few short months ago, is coming together. As you can see this site is a work in progress and the plan is to build it before your very eyes. Please bear with us while we piece it all together!

"Lulu" was inspired by German expressionist writer Frank Wedekind's plays "Earth Spirit" and "Pandora's Box," which tell a story of a young abused dancer's life and relationships and are now collectively known as the "Lulu Plays." Since their publication in the early 1900's, the plays have been the inspiration for a silent film ("Pandora's Box," 1929), an opera, and countless other creative endeavors. Originally the lyrics and musical landscape were sketched out by Lou for a theatrical production in Berlin, but after coming together with the 'Tallica boys for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts in New York in 2009 all guilty parties knew they wanted to make more music together. Lou was inspired enough by that performance to recently ask the band to join him in taking his theatrical "Lulu" piece to the next level and so starting in early May of this year we were all camped out recording at HQ studios in Northern California, bringing us to today and ten complete songs.

We can't wait to share this music and the whole experience with you. Please visit us often... we'll be posting updates on a frequent basis.

Now, I know that there are gonna be some 'tallica haters coming out, so lets keep that to a minimum

Is anyone else curious as to how this will end up? I know I am!

Comes out Nov. 1st.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Dig it. Lou Reed is one of the coolest singers-writers. So much more than "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"

Metallicas cool but the Napster thing really showed how dinosaurish the music industry is.

Its good to see Metallica doing something different and new. They must have some musical soul left somewhere deep inside. Well maybe not Lars...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Lou Reed and Metallica. That sounds like a VERY interesting collaberation. The first thing that came to my mind was the word "haunting". I think that's because when people first hear what this collaberation produces, they won't soon forget it.

Is Lou going to be signing on these songs? Are both parties going to change their style enough to make a presentable mix, or is one just going to jump into the others'? As far as tempo and beat are concerned, these two artists are about as different as can be. Unlike the time when Pat Boone decided it would be a good idea to do an album full of metal covers though, I think this project is going to turn out quite good.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Yes, Lou will be singing. An interview I read earlier had Hetfield saying that he was glad to be let go from that responsibility, as now he can focus more on the music writing aspect.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I heard about this collaboration at the start of the week.
Being a long time Lou Reed fan as well as Metallica I certainly look forward
to hearing what this Lulu album is.

My only problem with it is the wait...I am quite excited about it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
In other news Lars Ulrich has bought his 50th golden toilet. Which he plans to install in a limo upholstered in ermine. The Metalica drummer was quoted saying "I've just run out of bathrooms to put them in. If this album breaks through to the hipster crowd through Lou like I expect it will. I should be up to 51 by early next year."

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I will definately check this out! Thanks for the post!

CJ

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

And in the converse, Lou Reed announced today that his one pair of ripped jeans ran away today - I hope for his sake it is a commercial smash...

CJ

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by FEDec

And in the converse, Lou Reed announced today that his one pair of ripped jeans ran away today - I hope for his sake it is a commercial smash...

CJ

Is he really doing that bad these days? All the indie kids I know love him, seems like he could even get back in the saddle without metallica. It's a strange matchup in my mind either way as all the VU fans I know are definitely not metallica fans and vice versa. I don't know I am not a huge fan of either so maybe the demographics have done a spin on me since I last checked.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
There are a few links on youtube of them together. I adore Metallica, but they sound horrible together. Just an opinion, but go do a search on youtube, were about 4 or 5 clips of them together at some live shows. Yuck.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Came out yesterday! I'll be picking it up tonight. Of the reviews I've read, they seem to be pretty mixed...some calling it complete genius while others are calling it complete trash. Anyone else get it yet? I'll post my review tomorrow or the next day.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I've heard it. I like the longer, more Lou type songs where Metallica is just being a kickass backing band as opposed to doing the Metallica thing. Honestly, they should stop trying to be metal heads and just play Load-Reload type hard rock. Nothing wrong with that.

When Metallica plays their new music (which is awful) and Lou sings about penises, blood and guts and disgusting sex acts it just begs the question: why?

The only answer: because they can. Pure douchebaggery at its finest from musicians known for being complete egomaniacs. Maybe they do it to mess with people's expectations. Maybe they do it because they're uninspired. Maybe they do it because they like to push what we consider accessible music.

Its based on some German play from the 18th century or something.

Pitchfork gave it a 1.0 out of 10. pitchfork.com...

I'll give em one thing. Its definitely something you dont expect. It seems like music most musicians would pass on and throw in the scrap heap. Its...not bad...not new...just different for these artists and just plain uninteresting

top topics

join