It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Map feature to embed into a website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Im looking for a free interactive map of the world, able to be add points of places to by users of a website (upwards of 100,000+ users at a time) simple and easy to use, able to be searched and narrowed down by specific topics that i list and make up, custom "pins" different colors which are linked to the specific items/topics that people list on the map.

Someone suggested that i use "google my maps" and Use an to embed easily.

Problem is i have NO idea what that means, where to find it, or anything. Can someone help me with the html code or something code wise i can easily pop into the website. Any other questions i will be happy to answer.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
link

i'm not entirely sure what you are saying, so here's a link to add google maps plugin on websites.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Research is your friend. What you were told is an easy implementation that can easily be copied and pasted provided you know what to search for. I would start with the word IFRAME.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

I would start here

www.google.com...

I would also try to learn some HTML and CSS, also some PHP and Javascript. This is my advice. Sorry but if you knew the complexity in doing what you want help with you would realize the absurdity of your request.

I have done stuff like you want to and I have to say it will not be as easy to do as you hope it will be. To fully implement what you seem to want to do from your description requires quite a bit of work and knowledge.

You might have better luck, if you don't want to learn the skills, if you offer money or hire a web developer. If you scale it down a bit, remove the user functions and the like, you would make things much easier for you to do.

ETA: Are you using a CMS like Drupal or Wordpress? Maybe you can find a plugin that does what you want?
edit on 8-9-2011 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

You can embed google maps on your page with a specific location to appear when the user open the specific site but pins and all the other stuff you will need to program that yourself I believe. It sounds like your reffering to iphoto the photo management programs for macs it has pins where you can show where you've been and the pictures and stories. It doesn't embed though. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Hi there,

That is a big job you want there, and in honesty the only way your going to achieve this is if there is some software out there that you can download and embed it in your website.

The google map idea is a bout as close as I can think of at the moment for you, and its no trouble embedding it into your site as they provide all that for you plus the Iframe and closing iframe tag.

Off the top of my head, I think in google maps there is a embed button just below the map, and all you need to do is click that, copy the code and paste it into your website where all the other code resides, making sure it lines up and all, which you can achieve by either having a table there or using div's with css.

Any trouble, give me a shout.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
three letters:

Kilo, Mike, Lima. == KML.

look at the google maps API, its all there to be mashed with. Converting existing CSV data to valid KML is not the "happiest place on earth", but there are online tools that may help.

new topics

top topics

join