It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 55% of kids in Detroit show up for school on the first day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
And of course, the officials say it's all good.

43K show up for first day at Detroit schools

From The Detroit News:
detnews.com...

55 percent of eligible students show up for first day of classes

Emergency Manager Roy Roberts announced first-day attendance figures for the district Wednesday afternoon, saying the 43,660 students who showed up for school were an improvement over last year's first day.

Emergency manager, remember, because Detroit is now run by ``experts`` appointed by the governor, not the voters.

While 79,611 are eligible to attend DPS, officials estimate the student population will reach 65,000 this year, a drop from last year's enrollment of 73,000.

I hope those kids get home schooled at least. The more people do homeschooling and the less people go to those failed schools, the better.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
...I hope those kids get home schooled at least. The more people do homeschooling and the less people go to those failed schools, the better.

Please think that one through a bit more? It's hard to think of a city, or even a state, that has done more to destroy itself than Detroit, MI.

I think it probable that the only parents capable of Homeschooling their children were the first to leave...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Ah yes forgot about that.
If you still live in Detroit, you are likely too stupid to teach your own kids.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Its not about education it is Indoctrination on a mass scale. The reason we care so much or at least schools do..about kids that go to school..is Funding..both state and federal. They could give a S*** for your kids but man the districts want that money...

I remember a band teacher specifically telling me if they did not use all of the funding the state gave them that year it would be reduced next year thus it always had to be spent no matter what....

Its infuriating what kids have become....stock options for schools./Cattle

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Homeschool?

Its what they are learning at home that is motivating them to not go to school in the first place.

One of the new themes in inner city charter schools is a move to a 6 day school week with very long days. Why? To keep these kids away from home.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Maybe Michigan should tie their financial aid to having those with children have those kids actually show up to school, unless of course it can be proven that they are mentally or physically incapable to do so. Or can prove that they are giving their child a quality home schooled education.

"I see Johnny skipped a week of school..well, I'm sorry but we will have to reduce your financial aid this month."

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I am sure if you researched,the parents of these kids probably ditched school,dropped out so sounds like following in parents foot steps,I remember people from the south hating on me because I went to college,they would say"A man don't need all that edicatin"

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

reply to post by TreadUpon

Ah yes forgot about that.
If you still live in Detroit, you are likely too stupid to teach your own kids.

Easy there now
Plenty of valid reasons and alternatives not to send your kids to DPS.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
They don't play in the district my kids go to. If you miss eight days in a semester you get a court date, even if you have doctors notes. Usually the threat of a day in court gets peoples attention.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon

...I hope those kids get home schooled at least. The more people do homeschooling and the less people go to those failed schools, the better.

Please think that one through a bit more? It's hard to think of a city, or even a state, that has done more to destroy itself than Detroit, MI.

I think it probable that the only parents capable of Homeschooling their children were the first to leave...

Oh they are getting home schooled all right. That is a lot of parents who don't care enough to get the kids to school. How on earth could 45% of them justify not sending their kids to school? By justify I mean attempt to explain.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If a child's own parents don't care enough to make sure they are attending school and completing their homework then it's doomed from the start. Read that line again.

You cannot blame the school system for kids not showing up. You can blame them for poor education, poor security, lack of student control... but if the kid doesn't come through the doors what can they do?

I grew up in Detroit but was lucky enough to go to a private school that my still working at the time grandparents paid for. My family was very poor.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
What a surprise.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The parents are probably furthering what they learned or where taught by others that being smart is not cool or will get you beaten up. Think I am kidding , I am not. I have seen and heard it actually said numerous times. It is always the same type of people to. The ones that think school is a waste of time and that if you want to make it you got to steal it or get it fraudulently.Sad really and an all to familiar trend that is starting to show in our illiterate rate in this country. Your average person can not even tell you who the Vice President is! These are the people who will and are draining every last dollar out of this country.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
if a emergency manager is talking and replying its a emergency right lol but anyhoo thats sad, they should be knocking on doors to find out whats up with the kids and the parents

new topics

top topics

join