It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinians launch UN bid solidarity campaign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Palestinians launch UN bid solidarity campaign

www.alarabiya.net

The Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) denied Thursday that it had submitted an official request to the United Nations to recognize Palestine as a member of the world body.

The letter sent to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's office in Ramallah declaring the launch of a campaign to gain statehood recognition was not an official Palestinian Authority document, a Palestinian official said Thursday, but rather a grassroots attempt to garner support ahead of the UN vote in later September,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.alarabiya.net
www.mysanantonio.com
edit on 8-9-2011 by
edit on 8-9-2011 by Peruvianmonk because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: BAN Instructions: Copy The EXACT Headline
edit on 9/8/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It is good to see the grassroots Palestinians taking the lead on this and not waiting on their discredited leaders in the PLO to kick it off.

Maybe with the arrival of Dennis Ross in the region, the Palestinian populace were worried that Abbas and Fayyad would be brow beaten in to withdrawing the bid?

www.alarabiya.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Good, I hope they get it.

That would be a big blow to Israel.

You can be sure the VETO will be abused by UK and America.

The VETO should be abolished, it no longer has a role in today's UN.

While the VETO is still in effect, there will be no equality and fairness for smaller countries in the UN.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

The U.K. would not veto it, it may well abstain, but it will not veto. A big Palestinian Solidarity Group exists here (that I am a part of) which would give the MP'S to much sh**. The U.K. also has a well integrated Muslim population, who vote.

The U.S. will be making a huge mistake if and when they do veto the bid. There are other options available if they U.S. does veto as explained below.

"We hope the United States will reconsider its position and not use its veto power against the Palestinian move at the United Nations," he said. "What happens after a veto? There are so many other options."

Areikat said one option under serious consideration was to invoke U.N. General Assembly Resolution 377, known as "Uniting for Peace," which was put forth by U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson in 1950 as a means of getting around an obstructionist Security Council, which at the time was unable to authorize a response to North Korea's attacks on South Korea because the Soviet Union was rejecting all related Security Council resolutions. Resolution 377 is meant to bypass the Security Council if it "fails to exercise its primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security in any case where there appears to be a threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression."

"What we could do is go to the Security Council and say that a member state of the Security Council, in this case the United States, has blocked our request and therefore we are seeking Security Council support to take the issue to the U.N. General Assembly, invoking Resolution 377," he said. "If that effort succeeds, we will be a non-member state at the United States, not a member state. That's the difference between the two." Under Resolution 377, the Palestinians would only need nine out of 15 Security Council votes to refer their statehood request to the General Assembly, which can then address the matter immediately (if in session) or can call an emergency special session, as has been done 10 times since 1950, most recently in 1997, when it was convened to deal with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Well, we can be sure Israel will kick up a big stink on this.

Iran will back it.

America will also manoeuvre to make it a long and painful process.

I can only see America and Israel causing a stink and perhaps their "allies" via background manipulation.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Won't be much of a statehood to declare if Israel keeps bombing the # out of Gazan infrastructure.

Seriously though, if this gets approved later this month. Israel will be limited in the unprovoked attacks they have been in habit of performing over recent years.

I can only imagine which half assed excuse Israel will use to bomb Gaza before and after the declaration. I doubt either way it makes a difference to them as long as the world leaders allow them to do so.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It will have an effect. Israel will become much more accountable for their actions. The occupation in my opinion will inevitably unravel, hopefully peacefully.

Recognition will greatly strengthen the Palestinians hand in challenging Israel’s constant breaches of international law in the occupied territories, eg blockading Gaza, expanding settlements, building the wall inside the West Bank, expropriating Palestinian land and deporting Palestinians from Jerusalem.

www.lfpme.org...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
You know, the good thing about them becoming a country? If a rocket attack comes from there to Israel, Israel can declare war and beat the living sh*t out of them. They can flatten the whole place, and it is just war.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Using that logic you would justify Pakistani or Iranian drone attacks on American soil or foreign interests. Of course this comparison is a stretch. Just wanted to point out your double standards.

Why do you always advocate the destruction of whole countries? I have you seen you do this numerous times. Do you consider the people of the Middle East to be sub-human? Be honest.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The Palestinian leadership is now and will be accountable for any attack launched from their territory.

The problem is if they become a member, non-member status at the UN and Israel continues to occupy the land of this state of the UN, would you not consider an attack on Israel as justifiable?

By any measure of international law, occupation of your land as stated by the international community is open to a response by the population of the country occupied.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Why do you always advocate the destruction of whole countries? I have you seen you do this numerous times. Do you consider the people of the Middle East to be sub-human? Be honest.
What other countries have I advocated the destruction of? Actually, since they are not a country, what COUNTRIES have I advocated the destruction of at all?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
From the Guardian.

The Palestinian people have officially launched their campaign to join the United Nations as a full member state, saying they will stage a series of peaceful events in the runup to the annual gathering of the UN general assembly this month.

Some 100 Palestinian officials and activists gathered at the UN offices in Ramallah for a short ceremony, where they announced their plans in a letter addressed to the secretary general, Ban Ki-moon. The letter urges Ban to add his "moral voice in support of the Palestinian people". "Families of the tens of thousands of victims of Israeli occupation, including those martyred, wounded and imprisoned, and countless others who were expelled from their homes or lost their homes and their property, hope that you will exert all possible efforts toward the achievement of the Palestinian people's just demands," it says.

The letter was handed over by Latifa abu Hmeid, a 70-year-old woman who lost one son in fighting with Israel and has seven other sons in Israeli prisons because of alleged militant activities. Officials said Abu Hmeid was selected to deliver the document because her personal story reflected the plight of the Palestinians. A resident of a West Bank refugee camp, her house has twice been demolished by Israeli authorities as punishment for her sons' activities, they said.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Very clever of the Palestinians to present it as a peoples struggle (which is what it is) for a state rather than solely a political move by the 'leaders' in Ramallah.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

The Palestinian leadership is now and will be accountable for any attack launched from their territory.
Since when? All of you apologists always blame Israel for anything that the palestinians do.

Originally posted by PeruvianmonkThe problem is if they become a member, non-member status at the UN and Israel continues to occupy the land of this state of the UN, would you not consider an attack on Israel as justifiable?
Personally, I think that land belongs to Israel by right of conquest. I do not believe that they should return it.

Originally posted by PeruvianmonkBy any measure of international law, occupation of your land as stated by the international community is open to a response by the population of the country occupied.

Agreed. Thus the arabs occupying Israeli land should be removed.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I don't want to get off topic but I recall you making similar comments about Iran, North Korea, Syria. Perhaps I am wrong about the Syria remark. When I get home and have access to a PC I can compile a list of these statements. It may take a while to go over your post history, but I know some of these remarks were recent. If I have misquoted you then I will publicly apologize. I rather stay on topic though LOL. I'm in class and don't have time to post links and do in depth research. Sorry OP for the off topic post. Liberty, are you denying these statements. The post history never lies.

On topic, a two state solution would work if they got rid of Hamas and the Israeli hardliners. Until we get rid of these corrupt bastards, there will never be peace.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I do not back Palestinian attacks on Israeli civilians.

Right of conquest no longer exists in international law. Let me direct you to the below.

Article 9: No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 13/2: Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 17/2: No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

From the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted as General Assembly Resolution 217 A (III), 10 December 1948, the day before Resolution 194 declared the unconditional right of the Palestinian refugees to return to their home.

Pappe, I ' The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine'.

The Israeli state was created in 1948 on Arab land. The refugees who were ethnically cleansed from this land still hold the deeds and keys to their houses which were destroyed.

You can blind yourself with your ideological/religious/ethnic hatred of the Palestinians, it is irrelevant. Change is coming, the world will no longer stand for this unchecked gangster state aggression.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
From JPost

The Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) denied on Thursday the official launch of the UN Palestinian statehood-recognition bid, saying that the Palestinian Authority "does not have any international relations mandate," Deutsche Presse-Agentur (DPA) reported. Earlier, it was reported that the Palestinian Authority had submitted a letter with the move's official plans to UN chief Ban Ki-moon in ceremony with more than 100 Palestinian officials and activists.

"The only one that can negotiate or sign agreements is the PLO," a PLO spokesman said, adding that the PLO would be the group that would officially launch the UN petition.

www.jpost.com...

The Palestinian leadership does not seem to get it. They should be backing this move, calling it a part of the campaign, not distancing themselves.

Without the Palestinian people both within the country and diaspora support they will not gain the overwhelming momentum needed to change the vote from a symbolic action in to real change

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This thread needs a bump.

I remember earlier this year when Netanyahu said if Palestine declares statehood, Israel would follow with unilateral actions of their own. Fattah and Hamas have agreed to bargain with Israel on various occasions yet Israel refuses to accept. I wonder what unilateral actions they have in mind and if they are also prepared to hold talks with Hamas. All sides should be willing to make minor compromises. Is Israel willing to do this? I somehow doubt it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Netanyahoo & co were referring to the Oslo Accords signed in 1993 between the PLO & Israel

However Israel has already broken the accords, numerous times with the continued building of the settlements.

Unfortunately the PLO has done little to further the Palestinian peoples needs. Far too much corruption, inter faction fighting.

www.bitterlemons.org...

As soon as the vote is held, and the agreement between Hamas & Fatah is confirmed there should be elections announced throughout the West Bank & Gaza Strip allowing the vote of the diaspora. The Palestinians will then have the chance of being represented properly & democratically.

globalspin.blogs.time.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I recall Netanyahu threatening to pull out of the Oslo accord if statehood is declared. But be also threatened other non specific actions. Most analysts considered it a threat of pre-emotive war. But since he didn't specify, we can only speculate. I certainly think it fits in with all the saber rattling rhetoric from the Israeli military officials in recent weeks claiming a full scale regional war is "inevitable".

Just one of my many theories. Take it with a grain of salt if you will

edit on 8-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

From Andrew Levine who is a Senior Scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies, the author most recently of THE AMERICAN IDEOLOGY (Routledge) and POLITICAL KEY WORDS (Blackwell) as well as of many other books and articles in political philosophy. He was a Professor (philosophy) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Research Professor (philosophy) at the University of Maryland-College Park.

Assuming Obama can’t stop the General Assembly vote, what will happen next is unclear. Always a genuine existential threat to the Palestinian people, Israel could exact severe costs if it perceives itself threatened, and Palestinians can be sure that if a “humanitarian intervention” is then launched, it will be directed, as always, against those who challenge American rule.

www.counterpunch.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join