It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flooding in New York

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

your going too love this then,,

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=north_coast_communities_cut__070911

Mudslides and flooding have closed several highways, meaning the communities of Stewart and Kincolith, northwest of Prince George, are accessible only by air and sea.

"are accessible only by air and sea",,,communities of Stewart and Kincolith,

never saw that on the weather news,,cbc,,,???

where's Harvey Kirck,, when u need him??,, as a matter of fact,,where's Lloyd Robinson????

ohh how time flies,,

edit on 8-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Video footage (through friends in NY) from the flooding near Owego NY:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

According to the weather channel, the rain seems to be letting up for the next few days, hopefully the waters will have a chance to subside before we get anymore storms.
For the ignorant out there that have never looked at a map, there is a great deal more to the state of New York than the Island of Manhattan, Mostly inhabited by middle to lower class families. the picture of the golf course just happened to be the closest to my home that I could reach without being ticketed for being on the roads unnecessarily. We are in a state of emergency after all.
We live in the town of Oneonta NY nestled in a semi-small valley surrounded by beautiful hills and rivers and creeks( in fact the name means city of the hills) . We are twenty miles from Cooperstown New York which hosts the baseball hall of fame and also the mouth of the Susquehanna River. As was stated by someone earlier mean elevation is roughly 1500 ft. above sea level and approx. 4 hours inland from the coast drive time.
On the rare occasion when the eastern seaboard in the area of New York is hit with by a hurricane which we were last week by Irene, the ground became saturated due to all the rain. This week we again were hit with the remnants of tropical storm Lee and in some areas received over a foot of rain in less than a day. There is no place for all that water to go but run down hill. The neighboring states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey are experiencing the same conditions. These are reaching historic flood levels people. Seen only one other time in my lifetime and that was in 1972 and I'm fifty so that should give you some indication as to how rare this is.
Anyway, thank you to those of you who are the well wishers. We are safe and dry for now, albeit we can't go very far due to most of the roads in and out of here have been closed due flooding so for now we sit and wait it out.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I'm so glad I'm smart enough to live in an area of the country that doesn't experience anything severe (and on a repetitive basis). I don't see how morons who live in known flood plains with consistent and recent history of flooding manage to get house and property insurance? I mean, if you owned an insurance company would you insure such people?

No wonder my insurance rates are so high! They need the money to build the same customers a new house and pay for all their possessions once every 10 years. I'd drop 'em, tell them to insure their damn selves......by MOVING!

edit on 9-9-2011 by MainLineThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

Well I think that was a little extreme, calling people morons because of where they live. I know you're a troll and I shouldn't feed you..but that was really uncalled for.

People have lived near rivers since this country was first settled west of the shorelines. The rivers were artery's for transporting goods to make life a little easier, while allowing this country to grow. Granted, those days are gone, but these towns have been there since those days. Are you suggesting that millions of people abandon all these little towns, villages, cities and hamlet's...just because people like you think they're stupid? Its not feasible to expect that kind of "solution" to avoid mother natures plans.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

Oneonta is not a flood prone area, it happens to be in the Catskill mountain region and is over two hundred years old. Before it was inhabited by settlers it was inhabited by the Iroquois and Mohican tribes of the eastern part of the continent. They lived here because the area was rich in game and had fertile soil for growing food. of all the places in this Country is has traditionally been one of the safer places in this country that is not prone to natural disasters. That being said I don't believe anyplace on this planet is safe from all natural disasters.
I pray you don't find out what your area has up it's sleeve anytime soon

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Thanks for the link, I do not watch television and it seems when I check google news or hit the weather network, these headlines aren't posted. I didn't even know you could browse the weather network's news archive like that.

I appreciate your post.

~edit~ ...and Holy Moly! You'd think they'd have something on one of the radio stations!
edit on 9-9-2011 by Invariance because: added note

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
What the hell ? The south is burning, west is shaking, east is flooding. If this don't feel like the end of the world I don't know what else is.

There is more to the world than the United States. Just saying.

-rrr

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=LUl1UcKh178

this was during the evacuation in forty fort, pa. It was chaos people didnt care about anything but getting out of the wyoming valley. I was inching up the road decided to pull off to a side street and break through the caution tape to take this vid haha.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
We're getting hit pretty hard here in PA, too.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth

Originally posted by timidgal

Originally posted by Hellas

I have to say this looks really beautiful
edit on 8-9-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

It does, nothing like seeing the worlds centre of greed flooding, and on a golf course for the rich too! Brings a tear of joy to ones eyes.

Priceless.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

I'm just speechless over your insensitivity. For your information, for every one of those "rich" folk you make mention of, there are about 100 of us hard working middle class people sitting here watching our property and possessions washed away. How can you be so cruel???

Timidgal

Yeah I'm so broken up that they cannot play golf.

You know hurricanes come every year, you know they bring water, to prepare for it. You can always live ABOVE sea level. That is what Americans tell me when I have a slow internet connection, to move out of the mountain to get real internet, so move to stop being flooded

You have insurance, use it.

DING DING DING!!!!!! You've won the prize for "Insensitive Arsehole of the week".

I live in the UK, don't particularly care for the way America (or the UK) conducts it's affairs around the globe, it doesn't mean I want to see their citizens losing their homes or, heaven forbid, dying.

Sort yourself out, quick time.

You sew and so you shall reap..........

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal

Originally posted by Hellas

I have to say this looks really beautiful
edit on 8-9-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

It does, nothing like seeing the worlds centre of greed flooding, and on a golf course for the rich too! Brings a tear of joy to ones eyes.

Priceless.

Many people are rich becaus they worked hard for it and didnt sleep in school. That wasn't me though. Im the poor guy who let life slip by and I still dont care. however, if they lose everything, they will be poor like me and then we can be friends because 'misery loves company'.

I'm just speechless over your insensitivity. For your information, for every one of those "rich" folk you make mention of, there are about 100 of us hard working middle class people sitting here watching our property and possessions washed away. How can you be so cruel???

Timidgal

Yeah I'm so broken up that they cannot play golf.

You know hurricanes come every year, you know they bring water, to prepare for it. You can always live ABOVE sea level. That is what Americans tell me when I have a slow internet connection, to move out of the mountain to get real internet, so move to stop being flooded

You have insurance, use it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

A little bit of flooding hasn't hurt anyone yet I actually had a crazy dream that my house got flooded but it was insane lol

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is whats going on where
I live... if ya can't beat it join it...

stay safe & dry folks

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't know that anyone can say they're immune to mother nature or live in a "safe" place. Being super prepared doesn't mean you won't experience loss. And these situations are stressful to live through regardless of your perspective.

You don't really know how you'll react/respond until you're in the middle of the event. Hopefully you find that you respond in a compassionate manner towards your fellow humans.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished

A little bit of flooding hasn't hurt anyone yet

Tell that to the family's of the ones that this flood killed in NY, PA, VA & NJ.

edit on 9/9/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
i think some of you are misinformed. Alot of these places are no where near a flood zone and well above sea level.....maybe this vid will help you understand better. This is water pouring off a hillside.
www.facebook.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

You live in a beautiful part of the country--i have been there for baseball tournaments with my sons at the Cooperstown complex. We had rented a small house for that week out on Goodrich Lake...it was beautiful. One of those places that I wish I could revisit.

Stay safe; keep posting. Prayers and good thoughts for all affected.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I lived in the area's of schorie county being flooded years ago. The whole area is well above sea lvl. I hope the one's here who live there stay safe n dry. I heard there was no way in or out of cobelskill 2 days ago and so many other places in just as bad shape.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

<< 1  2    4 >>

join