It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flooding in New York

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

um, @#$#$ you.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
reply to post by timidgal

Having been evacuated twice for floods my heart goes out to you. My best advice is to save those things that can't be replaced and move as much as you can as high as you can. In the end however, things are not worth your life if you have to leave; do so.

These natural disasters take a toll; not only monetary which everybody can see but emotionally. For me it was worse at night; I could hear the creek but couldn't see what was going on. If you have children especially young ones remember as hard as it is on you it's harder on them.

Best of luck; stay safe and prayers and positive thoughts going out.

Thank you so much. We spent last night on alert waiting to flee if needed with sheets of rain just pouring down on us and then we had a ground shift this morning which I'm now hearing might have been a small EQ. These are very trying times for ALL of us and yes, it takes its toll emotionally. Your kind words and sentiments are so very much appreciated!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth

This is like living next to a volcano and then crying and whining about it erupting and your house got burnt.

You know its there, so why did you live next to it?

If you don't want flooded, live above sea level, if you don't want to be lava'd out, don't live under a volcano.

Not our fault you chose to live where there is risk of flooding.

We have known for years that sea levels are rising.

um mr smarty pants you do know that most of the places flooding right now are in fact above sea level!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

What scary pictures and I still don't understand why it's not being reported on the MSM which was a point made by the OP. With that said, there's no time to worry about such things I suppose. Stay safe and hopefully this will all pass soon.

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77

This is like living next to a volcano and then crying and whining about it erupting and your house got burnt.

If you don't want flooded, live above sea level, if you don't want to be lava'd out, don't live under a volcano.

um mr smarty pants you do know that most of the places flooding right now are in fact above sea level!

Obviously not high enough above sea level, perhaps if you spend more on plumbing and drainage than wars you wouldn't flood.

I happen to be 1km above sea level, I have no intention of moving lower, I will have a 1km head start on you all when it happens

Your house will dry out, so will your possessions, you have insurance don't you, make a claim.

You are worried about what? A Kettle? TV? Car?

There is worse places in the world than you for flooding, Netherlands for one, Venice for another, I am sure I can name more. India gets monsoons far more often than you. Their living conditions are worse, other countries get Tsunami's and flooded out, you just got a little rainfall.

What you got is MILD.

You don't know what hard is.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Obviously not high enough above sea level, perhaps if you spend more on plumbing and drainage than wars you wouldn't flood.

I happen to be 1km above sea level, I have no intention of moving lower, I will have a 1km head start on you all when it happens

Your house will dry out, so will your possessions, you have insurance don't you, make a claim.

There is worse places in the world than you for flooding, Netherlands for one, Venice for another, I am sure I can name more. India gets monsoons far more often than you. Their living conditions are worse, other countries get Tsunami's and flooded out, you just got a little rainfall.

What you got is MILD.

You do realize that if everyone moved to the same locale as you, with your attitude you woud be relegated to sea level pretty damn quick. An ass is an ass no matter what the elevation.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Some people that are being evacuated have kids. I'm assuming you don't judging by your insensitive comments about all this.m Some of them have no places to go with their kids. What all of America (North, South and Central) is experiencing at the moment is far more than just a "Mild" event or a little rainfall.

We are seeing far more unusual weather events now than a couple of years back and it's all these little things coming after the other that makes it a Huge deal.

To get back on the topic, It really makes me wonder why we are not seeing anything regarding this case in the International news (I'm in Canada)

To all the people that are affected by this.... Hang in there, Stay safe/Dry and forget about little things you left behind or will leave behind. As long as you have what YOU believe is the most important things, you'll be safe.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I live in vestal,ny and we were evacuated last night. Its really bad here. www.wbng.com has tons of pictures and videos. The diner down the road from my house has water up to almost the top of the building now

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
After looking through all of the pics I have to say that even with the flooding the NY area (new england?) is very pretty, pity about the big ugly city built in the middle of it all. I wonder how the Indians used to deal with flooding.
Wonder how Peter Griffin is handling it? lol.
ADVISE FROM AN AUSTRALIAN: we have had some BIG floods here and my advise is: Stay out of the water at all costs, stay as high as you can and do your best to keep at least one towel and one change of warm clothes/blanket dry. Also be prepared for a lot of cleaning up afterwards.
Oh yeah and, file your insurance claims now, don't wait till after.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
some people really do think they can get away with being ignorant pigs just because they're anonymouth behind a keyboard. seriously, get a grip, people can't just move easily sometimes, just because your superior self is able to 'get above sea level', doesn't mean you should be gloating or preaching. utter twerp.

to those of you going through this, my thoughts are with you, useless though they may be, stay out of harms way and may all the kiddies be safe too.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
found this

www.ibtimes.com... 19/20110908/flood-new-york-northeast-pennsylvania-tropical-storm-lee.htm

The flooding that's occurring in the New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania areas are bordering on the lines of history, as rivers are now nearing levels that haven't been witnessed since Hurricane Agnes in 1972.

If you watch the video at the bottom, the reporter sounds all to unconcerned.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

What you got is MILD.

You do realize that if everyone moved to the same locale as you, with your attitude you woud be relegated to sea level pretty damn quick. An ass is an ass no matter what the elevation.

Uuuuuuuuuuuhm NO. You do realise that it's newcomers that need to adjust and hold their mouths. Not people already living there for probably generations. You are the new guy, you behave or you will get relegated to sea level pretty damn quick.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Please folks, this issue is so serious.. don't feed the troll!

You respond to a troll; he wins, you get angry with a troll; he wins, you argue with a troll, he wins... see a pattern?

What to do with a troll? Ignore it... no matter how much it hurts you, no matter how much it screams, DO NOT FEED the troll... and if it gets too far out of hand, the mods would be happy to help.

ON with the issue at hand: I'm in Canada as well and there has been no mention of the floods. Although there has been mention of the fires in the south and the ongoing shaking to the west. I know we still have a few fires up here, but there has been no mention of floods at all.

I have family in Jersey, is that area effected as well? I'm thinking of calling them, but my Aunt is elderly and I don't want to upset her if there is nothing going on there.

My thoughts are with you all, hopefully we don't have another Mississippi level event here...

edit on 8-9-2011 by Invariance because: edited punctuation for fear of the grammar police...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The location in that picture is approximately 1650 feet above sea level.

Further-
The area received approximately 7.5 inches of rain( highest ever recorded for the area), compared to the daily average of .10. I'd be interested to know of an area that would support that amount of rain in one day. The month of September has already had approximately 10 times more rain than average, and the yearly total is almost double the yearly average. So to suggest that the people who live in the area were foolish in choosing their location, well the information simply does not support that. So unless you are able to predict that two tropical depressions/hurricanes are going to severly impact the interior of New York and Pennsylvania, I suppose you might be right in that case. Generally speaking, the area is quite safe from natural disasters.
www.wunderground.com...

As for the photograph of the golf course- that was just one example of many (mostly worse) conditions the area dealt with. And knowing most of the people who play at that course- it's a mix of middle class/upper middle class and a few "rich", however, most of those people have worked hard and were wise with their money, hence they can afford a luxury. I can only find those who are jealous or filled with hate can relish in the destruction of someone else's success or acheivments.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Pabama because: (added the word "feet")

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
what do you guys think about plumb island right there near new york. not very secure animal disease testing lab with a bad history. rummored to have created lime disease. just think about those diseases getting off the island into new york

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I grew up in the Southern Tier of NY. Granted that this flooding IS of historic proportions the likes not seen since June of 1972; the entire region is prone to this kind of thing, on smaller scales. The Southern Tier of NY, mostly the counties east of Steuben county, are criss-crossed by moderate rivers that feed in to the Susquehanna river, south of Binghamton. Many winters see ice jams and minor to moderate floods from all these northern forks of the Susquehanna watershed. After the flood of 1972, many of the towns and cities in that region, built extensive levy systems. Actually, the Army Corp of Engineers built them. One could say, that the extensive levy systems may aid in disasters like this...forcing rivers to directly feed the watershed without the flood plains that existed prior to 1972. Thats just one opinion, but a plausible one.

The Weather Channel seems to be the most on-top of this story, compared to MSM, who's more worried about a kangaroo Election thats still 14 months away. But hey, thats how MSM works!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyancat
what do you guys think about plumb island right there near new york. not very secure animal disease testing lab with a bad history. rummored to have created lime disease. just think about those diseases getting off the island into new york

Actually, that place has nothing to do with whats going on up there. Not even near the area thats flooding, its at least a few hours from there

Nice try though!
edit on 9/8/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I live in upstate N.Y. myself. I'm about an hour and a half away from Albany. Its pretty bad here in Binghamton also.

All the bridges are blocked by military and thier is no going in or out of the city right now.

Its a small taste of what marshall law would be like. Its like a bad movie here so to speak.

People seem to be taking it ok and the soilders are being real polite.

I've never seen the rivers so high. I wish I could post some pics.

Hummers and other military vehicals are all over the place, its surreal.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Pabama

That pic of the golf course is certainly not some of "the worst damage". Look at this picture from Owego NY....

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Wow yeah it looks pretty close to what the bridges look like here.

I'm not surprised they closed them down, I'm more surprised these old bridges are holding up so far.

I got the night off from work since I had no chance of getting there lol.

Sucks too cause its 12 hours of overtime I lose, its not worth drowning for though.

Be safe.............

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join