It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flooding in New York

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Not sure how much of this is making it into MSM, however a goodly portion of the southern tier of the state of New York is flooding out, surpassing the floods of 2006. Peak flood stages haven't even been reached, as yet, and aren't expected to for another 48 to 72 hours. Several counties have declared a state of emergency and mandatory evacuations are underway in many areas surrounding the big rivers such as Susquehanna, Delaware, and many others. This is no joke people. This is happening now

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=view&id=223303

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Sorry haven't figured out how to embed a pic yet. But you can fallow the link to a pic of a creek that has flooded out less than an 1/8 of a mile from my home

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
What the hell ? The south is burning, west is shaking, east is flooding. If this don't feel like the end of the world I don't know what else is.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I have to say this looks really beautiful
edit on 8-9-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Here is your picture (he says, before posting it
)

(tip, wrap the url of the image in img tags [ img ] - url of image with no gaps [ /img ] likey so.

Stay safe, and dry.

edit on 8/9/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

It does, nothing like seeing the worlds centre of greed flooding, and on a golf course for the rich too! Brings a tear of joy to ones eyes.

Priceless.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I hate to say it but a hurricane in the mid Atlantic, seems to be targeting the east coast for late next week.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

National MSM is basically ignoring it and local news is just plain ineffective. One town in Northern NJ filed a lawsuit against their local government yesterday so we're hoping that this will incite others to do the same and get some attention here. It's as if they don't want the rest of the nation to know and it's just getting worse here day by day. It's been raining for the past two days, rained SHEETS of water for a good portion of the night last night and heavy showers are expected again for today...

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth

It does, nothing like seeing the worlds centre of greed flooding, and on a golf course for the rich too! Brings a tear of joy to ones eyes.

Priceless.

I'm just speechless over your insensitivity. For your information, for every one of those "rich" folk you make mention of, there are about 100 of us hard working middle class people sitting here watching our property and possessions washed away. How can you be so cruel???

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal

Originally posted by Anonymouth

Priceless.

I'm just speechless over your insensitivity. For your information, for every one of those "rich" folk you make mention of, there are about 100 of us hard working middle class people sitting here watching our property and possessions washed away. How can you be so cruel???

Timidgal

Yeah I'm so broken up that they cannot play golf.

You know hurricanes come every year, you know they bring water, to prepare for it. You can always live ABOVE sea level. That is what Americans tell me when I have a slow internet connection, to move out of the mountain to get real internet, so move to stop being flooded

You have insurance, use it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Watching the weather channel now. There talking about Binghamton,NY closing the parts of thedowntown. Now showing the river. Very High water.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This is like living next to a volcano and then crying and whining about it erupting and your house got burnt.

You know its there, so why did you live next to it?

If you don't want flooded, live above sea level, if you don't want to be lava'd out, don't live under a volcano.

Not our fault you chose to live where there is risk of flooding.

We have known for years that sea levels are rising.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
What the hell ? The south is burning, west is shaking, east is flooding. If this don't feel like the end of the world I don't know what else is.

Where do you think they got the terms: earth, wind, fire and water (flood) from? Those are planet Earths' four elements.

I am sure, without even researching it out, there are earthquakes, volcanoes, forest fires and rain/snow storms happening simultaneously on this planet at any given time.

We (Americans) just have it too cushy. We are almost a nation where we feel entitled to pleasant and safe conditions. Including but not limited to the weather!
Gawd for bid NYC gets hammered with a snowstorm or south Florida (where I live) goes through a freak cold snap and temperatures drop into the 50's.

It's called randomness And some opportunists know how to take full advantage of it too.

Maybe, just maybe there are way too many people in these coastal cities? And seeing how unemployment is almost at an all time high, maybe we should consider moving out of these cities (that aren't producing any jobs) and disperse more evenly throughout the country! That will eliminate some of the problems in these over-crowded cities and this way mother nature can do her thing!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I live in between Philly and Balitmore and I know that most of Philly has been flooding since about 2am. There were also two or three mudslides along the main highways in Philly that caused major traffic jams for hours.

By 7am, neighborhoods near York, PA were being evacuated. I believe the local news said 64K people.

One of the saddest moments of my day today was hearing about the zoo at Hershey Park, PA. The zoo keepers evacuated all but two bisons from the park before it flooded. They had to make a decision to shoot them because they said it was a better way for them to go them the pain and torture of drowning in the high waters. So sad.

To my East Coast people - try to stay safe.

And please if your driving - don't drive through rising water! So many people around my way have been stuck and have abandoned their vehicles (even drowned) thinking they could just mosey right through a foot or so of water.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Thousands of people were expected to evacuate the flood-battered Binghamton area Thursday as heavy rains dumped by the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee continued to cause havoc across upstate New York's eastern half.

Emergency management officials in Broome County ordered additional evacuations early Thursday for Binghamton neighborhoods near where the Susquehanna and Chenango rivers converge. Mandatory evacuation orders were also issued for the neighboring Susquehanna villages of Johnson City and Endicott. In all, some 10,000 residents in the county were under mandatory evacuation, officials said.

The Thruway Authority has closed Interstate 87's southbound lanes at Exit 18 in New Paltz because of flooding at Exit 17 in Newburgh. The agency also expected Thursday to close a 105-mile stretch of Interstate 90 where it runs along the Mohawk River, which had overflowed its banks in some areas.

More evacuations in NY; southbound Thruway closed

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

Having been evacuated twice for floods my heart goes out to you. My best advice is to save those things that can't be replaced and move as much as you can as high as you can. In the end however, things are not worth your life if you have to leave; do so.

These natural disasters take a toll; not only monetary which everybody can see but emotionally. For me it was worse at night; I could hear the creek but couldn't see what was going on. If you have children especially young ones remember as hard as it is on you it's harder on them.

Best of luck; stay safe and prayers and positive thoughts going out.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Seems like the country is going crazy. The south burns while the northeast drowns. It rained like hell last night and that compounded the problems for this area.

To my fellow east coasters, stay safe, do not value material posessions over your lives, and make sure to stock up on enough water that can last you and your family for a decent amount of time.

I have a generator. Get yourselves one.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
today.msnbc.msn.com...
pa just ordered 100000 to evacuate
edit on 8-9-2011 by jrkelly77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I live about 15 minutes from Albany, NY. People near creeks and rivers were evacuated after Irene. Some towns were under water upto the roof tops. We had a few nice days and some areas were able to go home and sort through the wet mess....then 4 days of rain. Evacuations were ordered again last night. One town was stranded last night and the kids had to stay over night at the school, some who went to work couldn't get home and had to sleep in their cars. It is a royal mess out here. Even the thru-way was closed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/990fbe8739b8.jpg[/atsimg]
Here is Middleburgh, NY after Irene.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cceb76b3957.jpg[/atsimg]
This is Cohoes falls, before Irene you could walk right across the top of it, as it was dry with a trickle of water running. The falls look like this in the spring, after spring rains, winter melt and ice floes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61e588b55ba3.jpg[/atsimg]
Here is Amsterdam, NY. Just outside of Schenectady, which also suffered from tremendous flooding. Amsterdam was hit by a tornado a couple days after Irene. I am sure you can imagine, it is a mess.

Roads have been washed out, schools flooded, homes lost. These are not rich people as some have mentioned on here. Schenectady is a mixture of all kinds all classes all ages. Middleburgh, Canajoharie are small town country types. I watched on the news last night, an older couple who lived by a creek, litterally digging out the bottom of the creek and piling the dirt up by the side of the house. The creek was running right next to the houses siding on the first floor. There has been mudslides, where whole houses have been shifted, cars floating down rivers. Someones whole farm, including cattle was washed away.

I do have to say that the community is coming together and helping out. People are coming to those towns hit hardest and helping to clean up, making donations etc. From what I can see Vermont got hit hard too.

Hopefully, the rain quits here and moves off to Texas. This almost reminds me of the midwest flooding earlier this year, although not nearly as bad.... if it keeps raining it will be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join