It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death Penalty: Hypocritical or justifiable?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I was once a believer in the death penalty as many are. My view of the death penalty has since change once reading of innocent that are set to be executed before found innocent.

The point of whether or not it is right to punish someone by killing is a point that will be debated until the end of time in my opinion. The way I look at it is if you cannot guarantee that 100% of the people being executed are guilty than you should not kill a single one. Human's error, mistakes are made, and I know if any of us were on death row for something we did not do our opinions on the matter would be drastically different.

People are put to death for killing an innocent person and if people are put to death that were not guilty of the crime they were accused of then the system is committing the same crime that the people they are executing.

edit on 8-9-2011 by lZEROl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

I believe criminals are allowed appeals, but I realize mistakes are made. Our system overall is broken. I still don't have a problem with putting a serial killer to death in the end.

As far as bringing God into this, it's ok for God to create the serial killer to kill people, but it's not ok to kill him? Sorry, there are people that are born bad, or without a conscience.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
But do you want to be your entire life behind bars for a crime you didnt do?
Whats the quality of life in there?

I suggest to do like the english did in around 1500.
Isolate them to a big island like australia.Let them build their own community.With their own rules.
Give them one chance to get back after ten years.
The people who cant adapt will be killed by others, otherwise they become a leader and dont want to give up their power after ten years.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mongomuggins

" Could someone provide a list of developed countries that still have the death penalty. I can only think of one. "

Ah yeah , Texas ? ..........

edit on 8-9-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

if you commit murder,"your right to your life should be taken".........if a person is on death row they should be tested,if they are healthy they should be harvested,if not send them to medical trials........
edit on 8-9-2011 by morrow2112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
But why do you commit murder?
To protect, for revenge or maybe become richer.
All of them you cant be simply justified by taking their lifes.
All childeren are empty barrels you get what you put into it,so responsable are the parrents,or habbitats.
Maybe economy,church ,schools.
When the base is incomplete or damaged,the structure can brake with a very small earthquake.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Morally, I am of the opinion that once society is safe from a criminal, then justice is served... enough for society to carry on without doing more.

Revenge can be justice-- and probably is in the case of a murderer-- but it is usually not "necessary" justice in society (on a battlefield, for example, it is different matter).

Finally: Who decides?

Ever sit on jury? I have. From 36 potential jurors to choose, I heard each and every of the other thirty-five speak of "throwing the book at" and "making an example of" the accused-- none of us having heard a single piece of evidence, but only the accusation.

That one experience changed my view on the death penalty-- most people like power, and most will use it to hurt another if given the opportunity; and "justice" simply is not much of an issue, but rather a "duty" to spill blood. Besides changing my view of the death penalty, that experience also forever changed my opinion of people in general.

The evil was in the juror box, not in handcuffs, that day.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I support the death penalty for murders who commit horrific crimes.
What do you do with a rabid dog? You kill him so he will not harm anyone else. Why should we allow someone who has shot and killed a 90 year old woman during a burglary..to live? Why should we allow someone who has raped, sodomized and murdered a child to live? All the people who do these horrible, horrible crimes should be given the death penalty and executed.
That is my own personal opinion.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56

Er thats not true, I dont believe in 'God' in the traditional sense, but most christians for example believe children and such die because we have freedom to live our lives and because we are left to our own fate it would be wrong for God to intervene at all with us so he doesnt kill anyone, they die because according to this train of thought it is wrong to intervene. Kinda like how we believe some animals must be left to nature, even if they are in danger of extinction.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

That is why Sharia Law is good...eye for an eye. If you take the life of someone who was innocent and had so much to live for, then you die too...that creates balance. Not saying it would be justice served, but at the end of the day, it would also help to depopulate the criminals on Earth.

Note: It is also cheaper to serve someone a death penalty than to waste tax dollars holding the criminals in prisons while they enjoy free cable, gym membership, and food! They have it good in the prisons
edit on 8-9-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I am pretty sure I couldn't support the death penalty, seems a little harsh for this day and age.
Would it be just as cruel to give those really bad guys a disability of some kind like an injection that caused permanent blindness? I don't know just thinking out loud. It would be hard for them to carry out any further heinous crimes if they couldn't see.
edit on 8-9-2011 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
...i support the death penalty...

...i dont approve of the costs of execution or the cost of keeping someone on death row for years upon years but those issues are best saved for another thread...

...is the death penalty hypocritical?... no... there has always been justifiable homicide (in times of war, as well as in times of peace)... is that archaic?... yep but its still viable...

...when it comes to putting down a dangerous animal, it may hurt our feelings to kill it but we know its the right thing to do...

...when it comes to putting down a dangerous human, common sense often goes right out the window because so many think humans are not animals or are above animals...

...in such debates, vindicativeness always rears its ugly head when the truly cold-blooded start bragging about how they want to torture the convicted, as if that somehow makes them better than the convicted...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by mongomuggins

" Could someone provide a list of developed countries that still have the death penalty. I can only think of one. "

Ah yeah , Texas ? ..........

edit on 8-9-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

Texas is not a country last time I checked

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

That is why Sharia Law is good...eye for an eye. If you take the life of someone who was innocent and had so much to live for, then you die too...that creates balance. Not saying it would be justice served, but at the end of the day, it would also help to depopulate the criminals on Earth.

Note: It is also cheaper to serve someone a death penalty than to waste tax dollars holding the criminals in prisons while they enjoy free cable, gym membership, and food! They have it good in the prisons
edit on 8-9-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

I don't like eye for an eye in every situation. Some situations. Sure, but I would rather take it on a case by case basis. Not just a blanket, eye for an eye ruling.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by morrow2112

if you commit murder,"your right to your life should be taken".........if a person is on death row they should be tested,if they are healthy they should be harvested,if not send them to medical trials........

Harvested? Umm.... For what?( I'm almost afraid to ask)

Alright,off to work for me. Back as soon as I can.
edit on 8-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by drivers1492
I support the death penalty. My view is looked down upon by many because I personally don't think the huge cost is warranted in the ways we carry them out. A bullet to the back of the head would be quick and cheap. Sure that seems a bit barbaric but I just don't see the problem.

Nobody ever "sees the problem".

Until new technology comes out that proves them innocent.

At which point you might see even less of a "point" in apologizing to the carcass that used to be a human being that you just MURDERED, now who murders YOU to wrong that right? Right that wrong? Wrong that wrong? On goes the cycle that the rational world revoked ages ago... yet silly tards will adhere to anything that their political party touts like it's part of their religion... oh, wait..
edit on 8-9-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...i support the death penalty...

...i dont approve of the costs of execution or the cost of keeping someone on death row for years upon years but those issues are best saved for another thread...

...is the death penalty hypocritical?... no... there has always been justifiable homicide (in times of war, as well as in times of peace)... is that archaic?... yep but its still viable...

...when it comes to putting down a dangerous animal, it may hurt our feelings to kill it but we know its the right thing to do...

...when it comes to putting down a dangerous human, common sense often goes right out the window because so many think humans are not animals or are above animals...

...in such debates, vindicativeness always rears its ugly head when the truly cold-blooded start bragging about how they want to torture the convicted, as if that somehow makes them better than the convicted...

So give the perp a choice, death or prison... that's your argument, right? Oh wait, nope, partisan rhetoric took over for your linear logic. ALWAYS KILL, MUST KILL.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I don't have a problem with the death penalty myself either.
There is a difference between killing and murder, at least to me.
Either way, life in prison, death penalty, it cost too much, and they have way too many privileges in prison.

Spoken like someone who's never been to prison before.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DieBravely

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I don't have a problem with the death penalty myself either.
There is a difference between killing and murder, at least to me.
Either way, life in prison, death penalty, it cost too much, and they have way too many privileges in prison.

Spoken like someone who's never been to prison before.

You say to "cheifsmom"

something tells me this one's tied to law enforcement bias, just a hunch.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partisanity
So give the perp a choice, death or prison... that's your argument, right?

...that was not my argument nor is it my opinion...

Originally posted by Partisanity
Oh wait, nope, partisan rhetoric took over for your linear logic. ALWAYS KILL, MUST KILL.

...partisan rhetoric?... i belong to no political party nor am i connected to any "cause oriented" group... my opinions are simply my own...

...in spite of your rudeness, i'll take this opportunity to try to explain why my stance on the death penalty is not monsterous but is, instead, a painful and very personal one...

...i have a friend thats in prison for the rest of her life because she murdered two people... she's been there since the early 90s... she left behind six kids, whose father died with the eldest a couple years later in a truck wreck...

...i've often stated publicly that she was lucky to not get the death penalty - but - privately, i really feel that her life sentence is far more cruel not only to her but to her kids...

...she's in her 60s and in good health - so, since parole isnt an option, more than likely she's gonna be in hell for another 20yrs or more... if you love someone, you dont want them to suffer and she is suffering...

...some could say thats what she gets - and - yep, thats right but its purty dang cold-hearted to say that to her face or to her kids or to anyone that loves her...

...if she had been given a choice of life without parole or death, she wouldve chosen death and not just for herself... her kids have had to grow up with the stigma of having a convicted murderer for a mother and there is no shortage of hateful people, like you, who enjoy ridiculing her kids for something they had no control over...

...now, most of her kids are parents themselves and some have already had to discuss the very painful intricacies of their mother's situation with their own children... sure, they could lie about it but they have integrity... until she dies, there is no closure for them because it pains them that she's suffering...

...before this happened, i had no awareness of what prison life was really like... i had heard stories and gossip but those pale in comparison to the real thing... i truly believed the death penalty was by far the harsher penalty... i was wrong... its the more humane penalty, imo...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join